Votes: 118 84.9%
  • no

Votes: 21 15.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
yup, to keep the feel up, takes away from my total stopping distance.

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
I use it because that was how I was taught and how MSF and all other classes teach you to. It is simply a habit. I use it every time I brake.

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
what's a rear brake.....

·
Registered
460 Posts
YammyR1 said:
I use it because that was how I was taught and how MSF and all other classes teach you to. It is simply a habit. I use it every time I brake.

+1

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use it , because if you use your front brake, you fall down... (-:
I actually know people who used to think that way...
I use my rear brake on my XR650 SM because that is where the brake light switch is.
On the ZX6 I only use it on the street. On the track it is useless. Front braking unloads the rear so much, almost any rear braking will lock the wheel...

·
RLPoloArgyleSweaters,Son!
1,272 Posts

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
I use it during normal riding, just to keep the feel up, so incase I need it during a wheelie or something... But under emergency braking, I dont even touch it, since my rear wheel is usually coming off the ground anyway.. But thats only once every couple months or so.. I use it for every other stop...

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I use it because it helps me stop quicker than using front brake alone.

Plus, I make good use of it (in my opinion) when I feel I've got too much speed entering or going through a turn. The back break works great to scrub a little speed off without loading the front suspension and forcing the bike to run wide.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I use it around town, but that's about it.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
hozhead said:
Yup. When I want to stop, I want to get it now. I'm not even one of those instant-gratification nuts, I just want to stop when I decide I need to.

However, if traffic is coming to a stop up ahead, e.g. on the highway and lots of brake lights up ahead, I'll modulate the front brake lever to get that "blinking" effect to alert the driver behind me. So in that situation I don't use the rear.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
hozhead said:
Plus, I make good use of it (in my opinion) when I feel I've got too much speed entering or going through a turn. The back break works great to scrub a little speed off without loading the front suspension and forcing the bike to run wide.
+1
I will occasionally use only the rear when traffic is stopped at a light in the distance and I'm doing > 50mph. Many people think my bike's got a touchy rear brake that's easy to lock. I've gotten a pretty good feel for it from constant use and can't remember the last time I locked it.

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
I only use the rear brake. Whats the point in using the front brake if my front tire isnt on the ground? :squid

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I hardly ever use it. It doesn't work that great but even if it did, I doubt I would use it any more than I do now. The rare times I use it, I'm just practicing to make sure I have complete control of the bike.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
I use them both, although mainly the front. When I'm slowing down and I want just a little more braking I generally use the rear cause I feel like it's smoother to use 80% front and 20% rear than 100% front sometimes.

·
voted for an American
4,580 Posts
You don't need the rear brake on a sportsbike. The front has all the stopping power you need. Getting used to use the rear brake will only get you in trouble on a panic situation. Seen it in group rides, people that realize that the rider in front of them has stopped and then they lock the rear. When braking hard about 95% of the bike's weight transfers to the front, the rear tire is almost off the ground, it doesn't take that much to lock it. On a cruiser bike or standard bike it's another story because the weight is usually lower and more towards the center of the bike, that makes the rear brake very useful on those bikes.

You have to learn your front brake, when you do, you'll realize that you don't need the rear especially if you need to stop in a hurry.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts