Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up everyone, a buddy of mine is selling his 2001 yzf600r I haven't done much riding in the motorcycle realm so i didn't know if this would be a wise choice or not. Any input would be appreciated very much.

Thanks

TNG

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Read everything in the new rider section and ask agin.

·
Registered
809 Posts
a simple answer...
you'd be alot better off on something smaller/older.
but you could do alot worse.

less simple answer:

if you wear your gear and take MSF, and take it real easy. you'd probably be okay on that bike. question is how much risk are you willing to take? it's VERY tempting to push your bike when you know it has the potential.

if he gives you an amazing deal on that bike, I'd say go ahead and get it. take it to a parking lot for a WHOLE DAY. have someone who really knows their shit teach you everything.

it took me two days of practicing clutch/throttle control, braking, cornering, etc. before I felt comfortable taking my big bike on the street. and that was after riding something smaller for almost 3000 miles. that gives you an idea the kind of power SS bikes have.

be careful and keep a cool head no matter what.

good luck,

---J

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
how do you even know if riding is for you or not? I mean we're friends so he will probably meet me at a parking lot and show me some of the basics but is that a very good way of actually seeing if you're gonna be comfortable on a bike?

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Take the MSF course(it's a motorcycle safty class and if you pass you will get your motorcycle endorsement)By taking this class you will learn how to ride safely and how to ride in general.If you don't like it,you haven't dumped your friends bike and you are out very little money.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I agree about taking the msf class, and see how you feel about riding afterwards

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
Whole DAY? I spent a whole WEEK with my EX, and after that I still took only back roads for a good month so that I could get comfortable with my bike. I don't think the YZF600R is going to be any more forgiving :p

·
Registered
200 Posts
I started on a 1975 200cc, pretty hard to get in trouble on that bike, and I had a blast. I bought a GSXR600 and it scared the shit out of me for a while, but I picked things up pretty quick.

There's nothing like the feeling of riding a supersport for the first time, with all the gauges and lights, and performance equipment, it's mezmorizing.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Meh2u said:
I started on a 1975 200cc, pretty hard to get in trouble on that bike, and I had a blast. I bought a GSXR600 and it scared the shit out of me for a while, but I picked things up pretty quick.

There's nothing like the feeling of riding a supersport for the first time, with all the gauges and lights, and performance equipment, it's mezmorizing.
BTW: I love the new GSXR colors for the 20th anniversery. I think just looking at anything on two wheels brings up indescribable feelings. When I first saw my bike I just sat on it for thirty minutes taking it all in, I was shocked and awed! :banana

-- Sorry for the hijack

Anyway, there's a ton of stickies on the New Riders section that are very informative. The MSF is a great way to determine if you've been bitten by the motorcycle bug. Its relatively cheap too and you'll pickup a few things even if you decide riding is not for you. www.msf-usa.org

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
If its a SMOKING deal on the 600R I wouldn't pass it up.

That said, the first sport bike I ever rode was a 2000 600R.
The first (not gonna jinx myself making another observation here) sport bike I ever wrecked was a 2000 600R.

There is a good chance I would have wrecked ANY 600 sport bike being a total noob and having a friend that egged me on for 15 minutes about how his bike was screaming for me to take a ride (it was HIS IDEA - I SWEAR!)
BUT
After riding my CBR-600F4i, I think the 600R is a tank. The 600R had SERIOUS power in 1st gear but it wasn't as smooth as my Honda and wasn't as easy to manuever as my Honda.
Unless its a smoking deal, I'd find something else for a beginner bike (Ninja 500 seems to be hella popular). If there was no way to talk you out of a 600cc for your first bike, a Suzuki SV-650 or Honda F2/F3 would be the way to go.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Take MSF! I have taken it once already and getting ready to take it again this june, just cuz i want to get more practice.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts