Sport Bikes banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
I installed the 42t Renthal sprocket with the stock chain with no problems today.

I took the bike for a short ride and not able to do any real power wheelies easily but it surely has more low end than before. Rpm's are at 6k at 75mph in 6th gear.

I couldnt believe how much lighter it is than the stock sprocket. Probably shaved off 3 lbs.

Saturday night I'll see if my e.t.'s are any better at the track.
Let me warn you, if that sprocket is all aluminum you will be changing it out in like 5k. Keep a close eye on the teeth they will sharpen to a point then break off if you let it go that far.

Nice look tho!

·
Registered
171 Posts
yea its a cheap and easy enough mod that a 5k change out is tolerable. esp this sprocket. i won it on ebay for less than $19 and with shipping it cost me under $29 it came from ridenow motorsports

any idea of how long the stock chain will last? it has 6k miles on it

·
Registered
726 Posts
yea its a cheap and easy enough mod that a 5k change out is tolerable. esp this sprocket. i won it on ebay for less than $19 and with shipping it cost me under $29 it came from ridenow motorsports

any idea of how long the stock chain will last? it has 6k miles on it

I got 10k from the stock chain. Shifting became difficult quite often so I had it replaced and everything returned to normal.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Anyone have part #'s for rear sprocket and longer chain? I'm looking to gain a little power down low for twisties, not too interested in power wheelies, so I figure a 42T (Steel) rear sprocket and longer chain will do nicely.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i can clutch up 3rd gear standups with stock gearing, im keepn my mpg. i can hang with all my buddies who have geared their bikes, im olny gona gear it if i make it a lot bike

·
Registered
171 Posts
Since I added the rear sprocket, the throttle is more sensitive and the bike feels more powerful.

However my e.t.'s at the track suffered because of inexperience with the new gears. I wheelied big time my first launch and ended up being .5 slower and I could never match my current record of 7.5 in the 1/8 because of spinning or wheelies.

I need more practice! Funny; I raced this girl who was on a 10 and I beat her and while we were lining up I told her that her bike is a lot faster than mine. She thought I was on an old zx12. I told her it was only a 600. Needless to say she won the next race. :lao Sometimes its all in the mind.

·
Registered
694 Posts
i also installed a 42 T rear with stock chain without issue...who is saying the stock chain will be too short? I rode it like that for 18K miles.....

·
Registered
74 Posts
You guys put a 42 tooth on the rear?
what does our bike come with stock?...
And how much of a difference is +2 on the back going to be?
If its alot.. can you go +1? and still feel a difference?...

·
Registered
171 Posts
You guys put a 42 tooth on the rear?
what does our bike come with stock?...
And how much of a difference is +2 on the back going to be?
If its alot.. can you go +1? and still feel a difference?...
40 T is stock. I wouldnt go less than a +2. I like it and have been full throttle top end speed with no issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just out of curiosity, I can wheelie on 2005 zzr in 2nd and 3rd gear all stock.. I read where a lot of people are having problems. All I do is 2nd gear 5000rpms stand up crack the throttle let off and crack it wide open and she comes up to the balancing point and ride as long as you want. 3rd gear same concept except stand on the riders pegs. Is there anyone that can do the same because I am starting to question if mine is all stock or not.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just out of curiosity, I can wheelie on 2005 zzr in 2nd and 3rd gear all stock.. I read where a lot of people are having problems. All I do is 2nd gear 5000rpms stand up crack the throttle let off and crack it wide open and she comes up to the balancing point and ride as long as you want. 3rd gear same concept except stand on the riders pegs. Is there anyone that can do the same because I am starting to question if mine is all stock or not.
Not a chance on mine with stock gearing, way too tall. My F4i would come up in 1st and second on a whim but not the zzr. I bet you're gearing is like +2 R -1 F for that to happen.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Effectively you went up 5 teeth in the back.

Yea it will wheelie without trying. The bike will be screaming in 6th gear at highway speeds, Gas mileage will suffer, the bike will feel nervous, top end greatly reduced.

One down in the front was to much for me so I settled on 2 up in the back. Just right!
So 2 up in the bavk gave u the torque an wheelie power you wanted? Also how did it effect top speed

21 - 35 of 35 Posts