Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a set of sprockets for my zzr 600 ...
-1 front +2 rear. I'm wondering from some of you guys who have done this is it enough to wheelie and what kind of mpg are you getting.. and does it feel like it's wound up running down the highway @ 100 or so ?

·
Registered
929 Posts
it makes 1st gear wheelies really easy, too easy. With that setup i used 2nd to wheelie much better. this also makes the throttle really twitchie.my zzr would also power wheelie like a motherf*cker so get useto it dont just go out there and dump the clutch in first

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
I haven't really tried, but it'll wheelie when it's stock, right?
Pretty sure it will. Then there are always clutch-ups. I keep both wheels on the ground personally. More traction that way. :)

Reactions: Dark_ZZR6

·
Registered
65 Posts
it feels pretty wound up at an indicated 90 which corrected is more like 70-75 and im running close to 7000rpm. i haven't done the mpg scentifically but when i did it last i was getting about 37mpg but it was probably just a little bit more than that.

i got the bike with the gearing already changed but i will say the throttle is pretty twitchy like zzr660187 said. I'll be changing back to the stock gearing this week as being on the highway is pretty annoying and even when im cruising on back roads im at 6-7000rpm.

i'll let you know what i think of the change

·
Registered
929 Posts
yes it will wheelie stock in first easly and second if you rev high and dump the hell outta it with -1+2t will wheelie in 2nd with ease and 3 with effort

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
-1+2t will wheelie in 2nd with ease and 3 with effort[/QUOTE said:
is this without the clutch ..... i don't like clutch wheelies and i'm looking to be able to wheelie in 2nd and 3rd..

also does anyone know which is the b***** change here.. i know it's splitting hairs but .... is 15 tooth to 14 tooth front more or less than 40 tooth to 42 tooth rear sprocket change.... uh ... did that make sense?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Effectively you went up 5 teeth in the back.

Yea it will wheelie without trying. The bike will be screaming in 6th gear at highway speeds, Gas mileage will suffer, the bike will feel nervous, top end greatly reduced.

One down in the front was to much for me so I settled on 2 up in the back. Just right!

·
Registered
929 Posts
clutch ups are better to control because you're just up there,when it power wheelies it's easier to loop it.with-1+2 it will clutch up with ease.right now im just running -1 and it will clutch up in 1,2 and 3rd with bounching the front end, could do 3rd easier when i get more usto staggard stand ups

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Effectively you went up 5 teeth in the back.

Yea it will wheelie without trying. The bike will be screaming in 6th gear at highway speeds, Gas mileage will suffer, the bike will feel nervous, top end greatly reduced.

One down in the front was to much for me so I settled on 2 up in the back. Just right!
just wondering if 2 up on rear sprocket allows you to still use stock chain?

·
Registered
726 Posts
just wondering if 2 up on rear sprocket allows you to still use stock chain?

Possible, but for every added tooth you need an additional link in the chain added to keep the rear axle in the stock position. When you move the axle forward the bikes geometry changes which affects turn-in, rake & trail, may not be too noticeable but be aware of it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the stock chain will not fit on a 15 42 setup .. just a bit short... so i put the 14 42 on it and holy shat.. this thing is crazy.. i'm goin to run it like this for a bit chain just needs stretched a 1/4 link to fit.. then i will put the 15 tooth front back on..
boy will this thing wheelie now..:banana

·
Registered
171 Posts
the stock chain will not fit on a 15 42 setup .. just a bit short... so i put the 14 42 on it and holy shat.. this thing is crazy.. i'm goin to run it like this for a bit chain just needs stretched a 1/4 link to fit.. then i will put the 15 tooth front back on..
boy will this thing wheelie now..:banana

According to Gearing Commander, a change from 40t to a 42t is .34"

So your saying that you dont have enough room to move the rear wheel forward .34?

I will find out later tonight if it works for me or not. Just got my sprocket in today.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I installed the 42t Renthal sprocket with the stock chain with no problems today.

I took the bike for a short ride and not able to do any real power wheelies easily but it surely has more low end than before. Rpm's are at 6k at 75mph in 6th gear.

I couldnt believe how much lighter it is than the stock sprocket. Probably shaved off 3 lbs.

Saturday night I'll see if my e.t.'s are any better at the track.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts