Sport Bikes banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody!!! I'm finally beginning a long over due project of (2) RC51's, hopefully I can find some help.

The Situation:
I bought a 2000 RC51 from a buddy (running) with 55K miles on it but 3rd gear pops out. I don't think the shift fork has broken yet because it will go into gear but under load (more throttle) it pops out. But I did hear that RC's have a problem with 3rd gear naturally. True?

I found a wrecked 2002 RC w/16K miles on it that was salvaged but the motor was all in tact so I planned on swapping the motors. I Still Do! I heard that the fuel injection is different from the SP1 to SP2. But what I wanted to do was fix the 55K mile motor maybe bore it out also and freshen it up then put it into the wrecked bike and make it a track bike. Follow? Would I have to swap the computers and electronics for that to work?

Is the RC51 even a good track bike to have? (worth investing money to build one compared to the new bikes out there?) I'd like to know if this sounds like a good idea, or a sh*t load of work and too extensive & expensive of a project for a beginner. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but have never taken on a project like this. Also, for the race bike, what specs or special mods. should I make to the wrecked RC? (the subframe is done, front end (instrument cluster and mounts) ripped off, fork tubes dented, etc.)

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!!! :cheers

·
Registered
41 Posts
i am not aware of a 3rd gear problem with the rc. sorry not familiar with differences for swap but curious why you would swap engines when thats not the problem. 55k isnt too many miles and you could work over the spare until that one pukes.

·
Registered
144 Posts
You will need at least the ECU and the wiring harness for the SP2 motor. The fuel injection is different, SP2 has b***** throttle bodies and a different nozzle layout and that is the reason for needing the ECU for the motor you are using. The swingarm pivot diameter is different as well. As this goes through the frame AND motor, this will at minimum, take some parts swapping, at worst, some fabrication. IMHO, not worth the swap, there isn't really a huge performance gain, just a bit better driveability on the street with the SP2 fuel injection. Fix the trans in the SP1and drive it.

As much as I love my RC51, I don't think they make competitive track bikes anymore, and I'd hate to see you sink a ton of money into one and have stock 600RR's whooping you around the track! They are a great bike and you can learn alot on them, but you'd be money ahead finding a race prepped bike to buy 'cause people are moving to 600 & 750's as track weapons. Race prepped RC's are selling very reasonably right now. You want a shock (Elka, Penske, Ohlins), forks (Ohlins or properly re-done), pipes, rearsets, a Powercommander with a proper map, Quickshifter, 520 chain & sprockets (with a selection of rear's) and money for tires. This is the minimum stuff you should have for a serious track bike.

I'll be over to pick up the remains of the SP2 for spares for my bike as soon as you send me your address!:lol

·
Registered
109 Posts
Smokingun is right.

You have to swap the ECU, wiring harness, and throttle boddies to go alongalong with the 02 motor.

He's also right about the RC being difficult to compete on. I'm running Wera and the 1098's are leaving me for dead on the straights.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts