Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been considering the purchase of a RC51. What do you think of it? How does it compare to say a CBR1000RR or other super bikes?

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
what kinda riding do you do?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Former RC51 driver here...

The RC51 is pure adrenaline. Only problem with adrenaline is that it doesn't last long and when it's gone it leaves you feeling a bit tired. But while the rush lasts... holy shit is it a good time. It is a very serious bike though, all business.

The only reason I sold mine is because I was looking to last a little longer. I need more than a quick adrenaline rush.

·
Registered
912 Posts
RC51 are serious bikes with more tourque than anyone needs. Make sure you know you can handle it, not just think you can. But other than that i hear nothing but good things about that bike.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
If ceh was around he wouldn't approve of you wanting to compare an inline four to a v-twin.

But like racer x said, what kid of riding are you into?

·
Registered
569 Posts
robbieace said:
RC51 are serious bikes with more tourque than anyone needs. Make sure you know you can handle it, not just think you can. But other than that i hear nothing but good things about that bike.
It's only torquey when you compare it to it's direct competition... the GSX-R 750 and ZX-7R. When compared to liter class bikes it really doesn't have much going for it in the way of down low punch.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
robbieace said:
quite spec sheet riding......it has similar toque #'s your 929. but the 929 is sane enough for a newish rider like you, but the RC needs special "handling"............. :lame

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
there's a guy i know that is probably around 55 that rides an RC51. he told me the other day he rode over to Ohio, 600 and some odd miles round trip, on a saturday to see a friend of his.

don't get me wrong, i'm not saying the RC51 is comfortable or not, but i just thought that was incredible to ride that far on any sportbike.

i guess i'm saying that he didn't complain about being uncomfortable, and didn't say anything like, 'i'll never do that again!".

i can't imagine riding that far and not being uncomfortable because i imagine that bike is much more uncomfortable than my R6, but i've never ridden one tho so...

·
Registered
143 Posts
I own a VTR1000, Hondas other big V twin, and recently got a chance to ride a friends RC51. I figured they would be similair and I could not have been more wrong. The RC51 was faster, had more torque, and was all around far more aggressive. I personally felt bike was far less forgiving than my VTR....IMHO ABSOLUTELY not a good bike for someone with limited experience. Make a noob mistake and you will be on your ass in no time. If you have a lto of sportbike experience it is a rush to ride though. Handling was excellent and power was always readily availble...I rode another friends 954RR soon after and again IMHO the RC51 was more fun to ride even though I still hate the seat.

·
Registered
912 Posts
RACER X said:
quite spec sheet riding......it has similar toque #'s your 929. but the 929 is sane enough for a newish rider like you, but the RC needs special "handling"............. :lame

:boid Just what my friend with an RC51 says. :boid

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I've never ridden one, but sitting on one at the dealer once was enough for me. The RC is not at all too far removed from Honda's v-twin superbike. I think it's about as close as they come to a street-legal race bike including the ergos.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I've got a fixation on the RC too. I want a twin, so the options are limited. Pretty much the SVS, the Tiller, or the RC. Of those, I prefer the styling of the RC. The fact that it's a superbike with lights means it won't be comfortable. But if I wanted comfortable I'd have a Wide Glide.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
RACER X said:
...but the RC needs special "handling"............. :lame
What do you mean? I've never owned an RC, only sat on them while I'm waiting for some friend at some dealership. Are you saying they aren't bricks on wheels or maintenance heavy?

·
Registered
569 Posts
TheWraith said:
What do you mean? I've never owned an RC, only sat on them while I'm waiting for some friend at some dealership. Are you saying they aren't bricks on wheels or maintenance heavy?
The bike is no more maintenance heavy than any other machine. Just keep in mind that it tears through super soft sport tires like nothing.

As far as riding it, I would say that it takes somebody who has an idea of what they're doing on a motorcycle to really enjoy it. The 929RR probably is the easier bike of the two to ride.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
TheWraith said:
read the context of the quoted thread to my response........

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
Ooook, so you were ribbing him on his comment believing the RC51 to need special consideration where other bikes do not, yes?

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
correctamongo........lol

·
rectal rooter
482 Posts
two words. 'torture rack'. rode a friends RC, and even thought he sound that emittet from the two brothers was awesome, and the power was a shear rush, the confort is soemthing that i would not want to deal with. of course, i commute, so thats my opinion.

·
Registered
143 Posts
TheSollyLama said:
I've got a fixation on the RC too. I want a twin, so the options are limited. Pretty much the SVS, the Tiller, or the RC. Of those, I prefer the styling of the RC. The fact that it's a superbike with lights means it won't be comfortable. But if I wanted comfortable I'd have a Wide Glide.
Don't forget the VTR-1000. 996 V twin. half fairing. comfortable.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts