Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its 3am, and I just wanted to give a very brief review on my new to me 01 RC51. (perfect condition, 8K miles, braded lines, arrow high mounts,PCIIIr, Scotts Dampener)

Well, first of all, the tires were trashed, so I replaced them right away and have about 60 miles on them so far. So, no hard cornering yet. The handling FEELS great so far, though. It doesnt feel any heavier than my old 99 R1.

Comfort: whats all this about being so uncomfortable? Im perfectly happy on it! The pegs might be a little higher than my old R1, but it is a very confidence inspiring riding position, and maybe my wrists are just used to it, but they dont bother me a bit. (my longest ride has been about 25-30 miles)

Power: Man, anyone who says the 51 is slow or whatnot, get real.
Honestly, I was expecting a dog powerwise. NOT the case. It is very very fast. I would fully expect it to put the smack down on any 600, or 750, and its not much slower at all than my 99 R1. I think it might just stick with it.

The R1 had a seriously light front end, where the 51 stays planted for the most part. I would not be afraid to drag race one from a dead stop through the 1/4 mile. It would most certainly be a riders race. (98-03)

One more thing. The sound. Its just awesome. :cheers

·
Registered
944 Posts
The 51's are fast. I don't know who told you otherwise...They beat the sps ducati's at the end of their 5 consecutive wins in superbike. They're quite a machine. Though I would ride it for more then 30 miles before I rated its comfort, my fz6 feels reeeel nice for about 120 miles. After that it feels like i've had a stent in the state pen. :lol

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I rode a buddy's the other day. I don't find it more uncomfortable than my SV with aftermarket clipons and rearsets, but I'm young and resilient. As expected from its heft, it's rock stable mid corner, turns in a bit slow though. The power of the big twin is *very* deceptive compared to the I-4 bikes because it's more linear.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
the only part of your review id criticize is the comfort remark. id wait a little longer than 25miles to judge the comfort issue. RC's are great bikes, in fact i was thinking about getting one but ended up with my 954 instead(and i couldnt be happier). the RC just doesnt suit my riding style. anyway, get back to us when you log a 200+mile day and see if your feelings are the same.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Quite a few times, I'm one of the people who has said they are slow.
The RC on the track is 100 pounds lighter and probably has 50 horse more than the RC on the street.
Don't get me wrong, the RC is a great bike. It handles better than most and has incredible brakes. My opinion is also colored by the fact that I had the slowest version. After the first year they got a few more horses.
30 miles is not a test of comfort on the RC. Try a couple hundred. Also try slogging along through traffic with your temp guage at 220 and see what it does to your inner thighs...
My RC was one of the most refined bikes I have ever owned. I'm just too old and broken to put up with the heat and ergonnomics. Riding it fast, just flat wore me out...
The old and broken stuff being said, though I've yet to meet a street RC that I couldn't toast on a track with my ZX6RR...
Seriously though,,, Congrats on your owning one of the most unique and special bikes ever made...

·
Registered
72 Posts
WISPER said:
The 51's are fast. I don't know who told you otherwise...They beat the sps ducati's at the end of their 5 consecutive wins in superbike. They're quite a machine. Though I would ride it for more then 30 miles before I rated its comfort, my fz6 feels reeeel nice for about 120 miles. After that it feels like i've had a stent in the state pen. :lol
No offense meant... but Colin Edward's SBK has about as much in common with an RC51 as Troy Bayliss' 998 F02 has with a 998R.

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
I was going to buy one, Rode it, just didnt feel right power wise.
The handling is superb and a leaner all the way, as well as the ergos, not very comfy. Its a superb bike, but gets hot and really isnt that rider friendly.
I guess ever since I put that 9r engine in my 7r, things just feel different.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! I have yet to get any seat time on an RC51. I definitely have a thing for those bikes. Last stats I saw were at 120+ hp and 71 lb./ft. of torque...that's no slouch even if you factor in the extra weight of the bike.

nig said:
The power of the big twin is *very* deceptive compared to the I-4 bikes because it's more linear.
I rode a buddies SVS1000 this past weekend and I noticed exactly what you mentioned about deceptive power. On my CBR I know when it is going to pull hard because the rpm's are up there and the engine is winding up. The 1000 I rode this past weekend pulled harder but seemed stealthy about it. I rarely exit corners wide but did a few times on this bike

·
Registered
97 Posts
the sound of the rc51 alone justifies everything.. its pure mechanical music.

dr00l

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the replys people.

You guys are right about my judging the comfort. I need to get a good long day of riding out of the way before I judge that!! (I guess it was just an initial impression)

One of the first things I noticed about the 51 visually were the front brakes.
The rotors are huge. Havnt had the opportunity (sp?) to really test them out yet.

I would be out riding RIGHT NOW, but im home watching my little boy during the day for now, and in southern california near San Diego, this is torture. I want to go and ride it so bad. :)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I've done a few 500 mile days and the RC is more comfy than my R6. Very well planted in turns and pulls like a freight train. Like Coleman always says, "you have to be a sharp person to choose the RC" ;)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! I would love to ride an RC. I was looking at a TL1000R before I bought my GSXR. I am dying to ride a good twin superbike, +2 on the wicked sound!

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
not sure who was beating on the 51's but you'rs is not stock so with just the power commander will improve throttle responce

1 - 14 of 14 Posts