Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks
I have 12,000 miles on my '01 F4i and I put in the A.P.E. manual CCT at about 4000 miles. Recently, I have started hearing a rattling/vibrating noise at 4000-5000 rpms. Normally I would write this off as the CCT. However, it doesn't make the noise if I am in neutral revving, it doesn't make the noise if I back off the throttle and it falls down from 5000-4000 rpms, and it doesn't make the noise when the engine hasn't warmed up to operating temperature. It ONLY makes the noise after the engine has warmed up and I get on the gas pretty hard. If I accelerate pretty slowly, the noise isn't there. I tightened down my manual CCT anyway, but it didn't make a difference. the noise is the exact same as before. What in the world could it be? It sounds like it is coming from the engine...I really don't believe it is a fairing bolt or something like that. It gets louder the harder I get on the gas.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's really weird. If this is a bike you plan on keeping, here is what I would do. Go to a shop in your area that you know has a good reputable mechanic, and let him put his stethoscope (not like the Dr. has) on your motor and give you a diagnosis of your problem. Might cost you a few bucks, but it sounds like, something might be trying to let go in there. Better to be safe than sorry. I mean, if you say, this noise keeps getting louder, when you give it more gas, sounds mabey, like something in the top end.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Topamax said:
That's really weird. If this is a bike you plan on keeping, here is what I would do. Go to a shop in your area that you know has a good reputable mechanic, and let him put his stethoscope (not like the Dr. has) on your motor and give you a diagnosis of your problem. Might cost you a few bucks, but it sounds like, something might be trying to let go in there. Better to be safe than sorry. I mean, if you say, this noise keeps getting louder, when you give it more gas, sounds mabey, like something in the top end.
I am wondeirng if it could be
1) valves
2) pinging, need higher octane

The fact that it only makes the noise at a certain RPM makes it sound like the CCT, although it doesn't have the same symptoms as my CCT before I replaced it. Too strange.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
What's the URL to purchase the manual CCT again? My 2003 is starting to rattle...

·
Registered
270 Posts
I dont think my F4 made the cctl noise when it was in neutral, only when I was actually riding, so it still may be the cctl.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dude, you've got to let me know what the deal is with your bike cuz ive got the exact same problem on my 94 900rr.

We've installed the APE manual CCT and still nothing. Ive got about 30k miles on it.

Billy
:leghump

·
Registered
318 Posts
You can try running higher octane in it for a few tanks to see if the noise goes away. Perhaps try running some injector cleaner through it as well.

My guess is that it is something in the top end of the bike and has to do with the expansion of the engine when it gets hot. Don't know what it could be, though.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Noisy valves would tick all throughout the RPM range. A noisy cam chain tensioner is usually identified by a ticking at lower RPMS but goes away as RPM increases. I would definately look into the posts about pre-ignition (pinging). Try some higher octane gasoline. If you are already running 92+ octane, you may want to look into the possibilty that you are having some rod or piston knock. There may be a possibility that you have some bad bearings. I know the 96-99 GSX-R 750's are pretty notorious for this when they are ridden hard.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts