Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
segue00 said:
Do it by feel rather than sight.:)
i agree - what's the point in riding (or driving) when you have a computer telling you what to do?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I rode an R6 yesterday; it is equipped with a shift indicator light. It is there but I didn't understand how I would use it.

In calm situations where I could afford gazing at the instrument cluster (cruising along, wind in my hair, bugs in my eyes, grin on my face) the engine would be too low of rpm to need shifting.

At very high revs where the engine should eventually be shifted (just below redline) I am preoccupied with survival to afford the luxery of gazing away from the immediacy of the road. Perhaps a racer needs this (who can hear the difference of an engine roaring at 13,000 rpms vers screaming at 15,000 rpms?) when he is always up in the upper end of the power band.

On the R6 I never bothered with the indicator.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
You drag race an FZ6? Well, that's interesting. :)

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
I've thought about something like that as well. It IS very easy to hit the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd when you're going WOT and are paying attention to the road and not the guages.

One problem I see with the unit is that the dials to set the RPM limits only goes to 10K. There's another one like this that I know of that is sold on E-Bay, but I can't remember the name of it. I'll see if I can find it and what it's dial goes to...

(Edit:) Ok... go to advanced search and put in this auction # 7991162040 for an example.

This one only goes to 11K rpms. Looks kinda big too. I'm surprised that SOMEONE doesn't make one specifically for bikes.

Attachments

·
VIP Mofo
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Raptor says it's capable of 19,500rpms. I haven't drag raced it yet, but I plan on it. I was going to Saturday before rain ruined that.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
If you plan to use it to drag then you want it in your direct line of sight while looking down the track, that way you see it from the periphial vision when the shift light comes and you will not have to look away. Strips are pretty loud with the sound of the engine, your's competition's engine and exhausts all boucing off of retainer walls and you can't always hear the sift spot of your motor. Mount it high on your "dash" as possible. I used to drag cages and my indicators were on mounted on the top of the dash. Just about any light will work if your wire correctly coming out of the relay. I actually used interior dome bulbs for the sify light(s).

·
Registered
341 Posts
Binary Jay said:
You drag race an FZ6? Well, that's interesting. :)
I've dragged mine.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Just keep your toe up on the shifter and use the rev limiter to blip the engine to shift up.

You're much better off getting the auto shifter if you really drag.

Powershift System 2
Superbike - Supersport - Street bike

Powershift with IntellishiftTM - Auto-upshift - Shift light cluster - Billet mounting brackets - Sealed buttons housed in a handle bar bracket for gear selection up & down - Sealed linear shifterBenefits:Gear selection by pressing either the up or down buttons, unique built-in IntellishiftTM quickshifter for clutchless upshifts and without rolling off the throttle, (substantially reduced lap times due to less chassis stress and less suspension movement during each gearshift, maintains constant drive as well as facilitating much faster gearshifts), optimum RPM gear shift indication via the shift light cluster, auto-upshift for sprint use (for professional operators only and strictly used at operators own risk) and manual gear selection facility

Features:

This system offers tiptronic push button shifting allowing you to select gears up and down the gear box by the touch of a button and without the use of your foot, although you can even still shift gears manually if desired. The system incorporates a built-in quickshifter with IntellishiftTM, the world's first adaptive quickshifter!, which allows you to shift up gears by just pressing a button at constant or full throttle without the use of the clutch for lightening smooth up-shifts at any rpm. The buttons are mounted in a CNC machined handle bar bracket on the PS2 allowing you to position the buttons in any desired position on the left handle bar/clip-on. This unique quickshifter design only operates after the first 20% of the rev range which results in no stalling when selecting neutral. This design also adapts itself to the rpm of the engine bringing the engine back on line progressively at lower rpms and then speeding up as the revs rise! This incredible system can even shift up the gearbox automatically each time the desired shift point is reached. However, Auto up-shifting is strictly for drag racing and circuit use by professional riders only and is used at the operators own risk!

·
VIP Mofo
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The dip switches in the picture are for setting how many cylinders you have. If you tell it double the number of cylinders, it will double whatever rpm you have it set for. If I read it right, that is. I don't plan on racing it enough to buy the above kit, probably 4 or 5 passes a year. The Mustang will make most of my passes.

·
Registered
140 Posts
parttime said:
i agree - what's the point in riding (or driving) when you have a computer telling you what to do?
Well, it's only light, you can ignore it.

In my next bike I would like to have adjustable shift light. In some situations on the streets, there's much more to look than rev meter.

Yours sincerely, Antti

1 - 14 of 14 Posts