Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
TowTrucks Suck!!!
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was riding some backroads, stopped at a gas station for a drink. Heard a hissing sound by my bike. Found the end of a nail in the tread on my rear tire. So i fixed it with one of those gooey plug things that you stick in the hole with that t shaped piece of metal. It sealed up and i inflated it with fix a flat. About how long do you think those plugs last in there. Am i safe to ride on it for awhile, or should i buy a new tire right away. I would have bought a tire today, but i got laid off this morning and i encountered the nail on the way to look for another job. Talk about a shitty day.!!!

·
Banned
1,553 Posts
Buy a new tire. It's not worth the risk, and plugs are known for coming out with road contact.

And fix-a-flat is a nightmare and makes a mess of wheel balancing. It's actually impossible to balance a wheel on a normal balancer if it has fix-a-flat or any liquid inside it. So that will contribute to ride problems, not just the safety concerns. Might want to inform the guys that do the tire install that it's got fix-a-flat in it too... I work at a tire shop and we get pissed when we don't know in advance cause you go to break the tire down, take it off the wheel, and out dumps a good liter of Fix-A-Flat all over the machine and floor....makes a royal mess.

·
TowTrucks Suck!!!
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HalfLiterBeater said:
Buy a new tire. It's not worth the risk, and plugs are known for coming out with road contact.

And fix-a-flat is a nightmare and makes a mess of wheel balancing. It's actually impossible to balance a wheel on a normal balancer if it has fix-a-flat or any liquid inside it. So that will contribute to ride problems, not just the safety concerns. Might want to inform the guys that do the tire install that it's got fix-a-flat in it too... I work at a tire shop and we get pissed when we don't know in advance cause you go to break the tire down, take it off the wheel, and out dumps a good liter of Fix-A-Flat all over the machine and floor....makes a royal mess.
thanks bro, i wouldnt have hesitated to buy a new tire, but losing the job and just paying off 2000 in credit cards puts me in a little bind. Whats a good priced tire and how much should i expect to pay for labor.

btw i called triple a when this happend. They said i didnt have some special motorcycle coverage so they wouldnt tow me to the shop. BS

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I would replace the tire as soon as possible it's not worth the risk of having something occur

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Damn bro, you did have a shitty day! Sorry to hear that. I would not run a bike (especially the back tire) with a plug in it, even if it is in the tread. They do good for a while and work pretty good in reg tires but not in a motorcycle tire. It's not uncommon for a police car to get nails and shit and they plug them, every time they do it to one of my tires on the patrol car I keep the feeling that it will come loose and cause me to wipe out (I know of a few officers that this has happened to). Currently Ron Ayers has some pretty good deals on tires! Might check with them man. Once again, sorry about your day, check up to the top of the page for Ron Ayers' website.

·
Registered
809 Posts
XxIcEmAnxX said:
thanks bro, i wouldnt have hesitated to buy a new tire, but losing the job and just paying off 2000 in credit cards puts me in a little bind. Whats a good priced tire and how much should i expect to pay for labor.

btw i called triple a when this happend. They said i didnt have some special motorcycle coverage so they wouldnt tow me to the shop. BS
Honda rider's club bruh.

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
I ran over a tire last summer. I plugged it up and put another 5k on it......i don't recommend it though. I didnt have a good job so I didn't have money to buy a new tire at the time and i wanted to ride bad enough that i took the risk. I'll never do it again because now i got a good job and i can afford tires :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts