Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While installing new flush mount blinkers I noticed that the ram air intake tubes had a silencer installed in each tube. These are used to lower the intake noise under hard acceleration and I often see these being removed in car magazines for a 2+ish hp increase. Since I had everything off I decided I might as well get rid of them to shave a lil weight and smooth out/increase airflow potential. In the first pic you'll notice it protrudes fairly far into the inlet tubes which has to cause unwanted turbulence.

I had the cowl off already so all I had to do was slide back the small spring clamps and pull off the small tubes going to the inlet tubes. Then remove the actual ram air tubes. Once off there is only 1 screw to remove and the intake muffler/silencer is off

Now your left with a big hole to fill. I bought a couple Ford master cylinder gaskets (part # in the pic) as they fit the hole perfectly. Really you could use anything to plug the hole that's flatish and secure. I used silicone to seal them in the holes and to fill the small indent in them to make sure airflow was nice n smooth. Here is a pic of one of the holes plugged and the part used. The other grommet is what came out of the hole. It just pops out. **WAD discovered that some of the master cylinder gaskets may have a small slit. Personally I would plug it, but not doing so shouldn't really mater.

I took her out for a short spin this morning and she does seem a lil bit louder/throatier in the upper RMPs. This could also be my imagination as its been a few days since riding :p. Did it make my bike faster? I don't know because I still don't have a lot of time under my belt and was stuck in the city. But I imagine in the higher RPMs it probably helps just like in cars.

Edited: Typos/confusing stuff.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Hmmmm interesting. i never noticed those. seems like it would just slightly disrupt the flow into the airbox.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its basically a tube that lets air/noise into that lil muffler I took off lets it bounce around then exit back into the intake. I get them wanting to quiet down stuff but why they made the pipe in that first pic stick so far into the inlet tube I don't know. I suppose if you wanted to keep the muffler but get rid of that big obstruction you could just cut the tube down flush. Then you would prob want to secure it somehow since that length def helps keep it in place. You'd still loose out a bit from incoming air taking a detour though.

·
5,547 Posts
That's a pretty cool mod. Thanks for sharing this with the forum. I may try this during the winter months when I can't ride.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That's a pretty cool mod. Thanks for sharing this with the forum. I may try this during the winter months when I can't ride.
Thanks, after all the info I've leached from these forums I'm happy I can post something for others to try. The worst part of the mod is taking the fairing off which isn't really hard as ya'll know. I just was paranoid I was gonna drop it or something. Every time I do something to her I fret. Like I installed rear LED's last night and something just seemed wrong about running the resistors from a power line directly to a ground. But after the mods I feel better :p

·
Registered
39 Posts
Interesting. These forums are great for this reason alone. there is so much info in one place it is crazy

·
Registered
153 Posts
I just got finished with this mod, I haven't gotten to ride it yet cuz I want the sealant to dry.

Thanks to mstngs351 for original write up!

Tools Needed:
10mm Wrench or Socket
Phillips Screwdriver

Cost:
Gaskets - 2 x 5.99= 12.00
Sealant - 1 x 3.49= 3.49
Total = $13.49

Parts:

Front off:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Np Jaws4God glad I could contribute something to the forums. Nice pic walk through btw. Funny side note is now on the rare occasion I ride her wearing my Ford leather jacket I can say I installed an aftermarket for Ram Air mod with Ford parts and watch peoples confused faces when they point out my bike isn't made by Ford. :p I'm so glad people feel the need to clear that up for me... Oh and no dyno runs here 08zzr600.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Funny side note is now on the rare occasion I ride her wearing my Ford leather jacket I can say I installed an aftermarket for Ram Air mod with Ford parts and watch peoples confused faces when they point out my bike isn't made by Ford. :p
LOL... I just want to know how you found out those were the perfect fitting Gaskets! :bowdown :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took the part into Shucks with me and eyeballed them through the package. I also bought a pair of those plastic tab things that hold stuff like plastic molding on the interior of the car at the same time. Then snipped off the protruding part which gave a more flush fit but I wasn't sure they wouldn't fall off down the road. Really I just got lucky cause the Ford part was the first one I picked up.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had my front fairing off on Sunday and was tinkering around... I was wondering WTF those things were for. Going to remove them next time I have the bike apart. Thanks OP!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Welp, I did this yesterday. I got the parts and silicone from Advanced Auto (though I had to go to two different stores). I couldn't find them hanging on the rack at the first one and had to go ask for help. The guy was asking me what my vehicle was. I told him the gasket was for a Ford, but I am using it on my motorcycle. Needless to say, he didn't seem amused.

They fit in there very nicely. One thing I did not notice until I had the first one out of the package is that there is a small slit in the center of the gasket. I freaked out initially, but then noticed they both were cut the same (just a tiny slit). Hope you observed the same. My guess is this releases some pressure? I was going to glue it or duct tape it closed, but then thought best otherwise.

On a side note when I removed the front fairing, i ripped the rubber around one of those rubber well nuts where the upper fairing attaches to the side fairing. I just took one out of the muffler I removed and all was good :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Any other thoughts on this? Rocket did you end up doin this? I have my front cowl off and and wondering if I should do this or not. Any real advantages here?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts