Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sounds like the man that heard the revving turned in front of the motorcycle. I'd like to hear more about it.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1271862/

Raleigh — A motorcyclist was killed Friday afternoon when he collided with a sport utility vehicle on Wake Forest Road, police said.

Jason Alexas Joyce, 29, of 3813 Boddie Drive in Raleigh, was southbound on Wake Forest Road between Six Forks Road and Creekside Drive when he collided with a GMC driven by Edward Graham Stephenson, 68, of 2334 Elevation Road in Four Oaks shortly after noon, police said.

Joyce was pronounced dead at WakeMed, police said.

Stephenson told investigators that he was turning left into a business when he heard a motorcycle engine revving and saw a motorcycle approaching at a high rate of speed, police said.

No charges have been filed in the case, which remains under investigation.

The wreck closed one side of Wake Forest Road, snarling traffic, as police investigated and cleared the scene.

·
Registered
82 Posts
so he heard a bike revving and cookin and he turns in front of it.. way to go.

·
Registered
784 Posts
No supposedly the guy decided to light it up from stop into the intersection as the guy was turning. Didnt say he hear the reving , THEN turned.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
"motorcyclist approaching at a high rate of speed"

Yeah, right.... this is the standby excuse that cagers use when they cause a motorcycle accident. It's total BS, and they are STILL getting away with it....

RIP

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
RIP to the rider. Of course any driver that turns left in front of a Motorcycle is going to say something to defend themselves. "I didn't see him"..."he was flying"...etc

I found this in the comments.

My name is Shawn. I'm the son of the suv driver. I was not involved in the accident but am deeply sadened by what took place. My prayers and thoughts are with the family and friends of Jason A. Joyce as I myself am a motorcycle rider. Please know that my parents feel deep sorrow and remorse for your loss and know first hand what it feels like to lose a childof your own. Constant prayer is being lifted for the family of Jason and I ask each of you to put yourself in the situation and stop judging something you didn't witness first hand. Instead be sensitive to both parties involved and try to learn something from the mistakes that you think may have happened. My mom has cried all day for this tragic event that caused the death of a young man and I hope the Joyce family you can find a way to forgive what has happened to Jason. May God be with you and your family during this time. Shawn Stephenson

·
Registered
784 Posts
kazlab67 said:
My name is Shawn. I'm the son of the suv driver. I was not involved in the accident but am deeply sadened by what took place. My prayers and thoughts are with the family and friends of Jason A. Joyce as I myself am a motorcycle rider. Please know that my parents feel deep sorrow and remorse for your loss and know first hand what it feels like to lose a childof your own. Constant prayer is being lifted for the family of Jason and I ask each of you to put yourself in the situation and stop judging something you didn't witness first hand. Instead be sensitive to both parties involved and try to learn something from the mistakes that you think may have happened. My mom has cried all day for this tragic event that caused the death of a young man and I hope the Joyce family you can find a way to forgive what has happened to Jason. May God be with you and your family during this time. Shawn Stephenson

At least they are being supportive instead of bitching and moaning that it was someone elses fault.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
YZFNoob said:
No supposedly the guy decided to light it up from stop into the intersection as the guy was turning. Didnt say he hear the reving , THEN turned.
"Stephenson told investigators that he was turning left into a business when he heard a motorcycle engine revving and saw a motorcycle approaching at a high rate of speed, police said."

This is what was in the story that I posted. I will check the wral to see if they have updated it yet.

·
Terrorist!!! AHHhh!
670 Posts
Yeah my friend saw this dude who died...he was riding a blue R6...we thought he was dead cuz he was in middle of the intersection not moving and bleeding!

·
Back in Black
5,538 Posts
Thunderace1997 said:
"Stephenson told investigators that he was turning left into a business when he heard a motorcycle engine revving and saw a motorcycle approaching at a high rate of speed, police said."

This is what was in the story that I posted. I will check the wral to see if they have updated it yet.

You know, when you pull out in front of someone that you didn't see, and then see it, it doesn't matter if it's moving 5 mph...it looks like it's flying.

And possibly, could the motorcycle be downshifting, thus the revving?

Gotta love the BS that's put in the news (though, he quite possibly could have been hauling ass...not like that's uncommon either).

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Guy I know saw it happen as well. Sad story man.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Turns out the rider Jason is a good friend of a friend of mine. Funeral was today. If the bike was a R6, I wouldn't surprise me in the least that it was nothing more than him accelerating, people who don't know bikes think the rider is revving the crap out of a bike when in reality it's just normal throttle and acceleration. And I've been told I was "flying" when I left a stop light when I really wasn't. They just don't understand the thrust to weight ratio.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Jason was best friends with my wife's co-worker and her husband. they both took it really hard. Friday was also the coworker's birthday, and she is pregnant. Thoughts and prayers to all of Jason's family and friends.

RIP

·
Registered
464 Posts
:(

·
Registered
588 Posts
TRaGiK said:
You know, when you pull out in front of someone that you didn't see, and then see it, it doesn't matter if it's moving 5 mph...it looks like it's flying.

And possibly, could the motorcycle be downshifting, thus the revving?

Gotta love the BS that's put in the news (though, he quite possibly could have been hauling ass...not like that's uncommon either).
I would assume that he clutched in asap when the suv came in front of him. I know in many of my close calls, I clutch in, do emergency breaking and kiss my ass to high heavens.

I'm not really familiar with that part of Raleigh. Is that a 4 lane road and 45 or 55mph speed limit?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I believe it's four lanes, sometimes extra turn lanes, with parking lots for gas stations and car dealerships all over the place. Urban hell for a bike. I play hockey at a rink around the corner from there. Uhm, you may be more familiar with the Ale House location near there.

-Dave

·
Crunnnnnnnnnnnnchy
3,067 Posts
Jason rest in peace... we are all saddened by this tragidy

My heart and prayers go out to the families involved

·
Registered
136 Posts
Christian,

Yep, same place. NC State plays there too I think sometimes, but that's just a club team - they don't support it as a varsity sport.

-Dave

1 - 20 of 23 Posts