Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been a few posts on here about lowering handlebars on the FZ6, but I haven't seen any about raising them. I've got the GenMar universal riser kit (1" higher) coming on Tuesday. I'll let you all know how it works out.

I've got short arms, and it's quite a reach for me when I sit in the comfortable part of the seat (just in front of the hump). I've installed a VistaCruise to try to alleviate some of the shoulder pain in my right shoulder, but it hasn't helped much. I'm hoping the handlebar riser will make it more comfy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
FZ6Rider said:
I've got short arms, and it's quite a reach for me when I sit in the comfortable part of the seat (just in front of the hump). I've installed a VistaCruise to try to alleviate some of the shoulder pain in my right shoulder, but it hasn't helped much. I'm hoping the handlebar riser will make it more comfy.
To each their own, of course, and go with whatever works for you. But, I find it comfortable to sit up close to the tank and squeeze with my thighs to support my upper body, almost no weight on my arms/back/shoulders, except when riding aggresively (maybe picked up from years on dirt bikes?). Most people are opting for lower bars/lower front forks for a more comfortable sporty position. It was designed as a pseudo-sport/tourer after all, not a cruiser.

+2cents
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
FZ6Rider said:
I've got the GenMar universal riser kit (1" higher) coming on Tuesday. I'll let you all know how it works out.
Where'd you order the riser kit from? My back's been giving me some trouble lately and it might be worth a shot. I just got the seat lowered and gel inserts put in by buttbuffer up in Ephratha PA. Haven't had a chance to put any significant mileage on to see how it feels, but it didn't seem to really lower the seat that much.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
RonFZ6 said:
Where'd you order the riser kit from? My back's been giving me some trouble lately and it might be worth a shot. I just got the seat lowered and gel inserts put in by buttbuffer up in Ephratha PA. Haven't had a chance to put any significant mileage on to see how it feels, but it didn't seem to really lower the seat that much.
I ordered them from California Sport Touring (http://www.casporttouring.com). The price is a little better there than going directly through GenMar.

My shoulder is definitely more comfortable if I move up towards the tank, but I can't ride there long because the seat just kills my arse when I do that. For me the seat is pretty comfortable back towards the hump, so I just need to bring the handlebars back to where I want to sit. I tried a new saddleman gel pad and hated it (it's for sale if anyone wants it...only used once). An integrated gel pad should be much better though.

The bike is plenty comfortable if all I do is ride it back and forth 12 miles to work. I didn't have any problems until I extended these rides out to the 100 mile mark (and I'm aching by 50 miles).

I'll post some pics once I get the riser installed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You might note that GenMar also makes a kit that extends the handlebars back 1 3/8" and up 1". I thought about getting that one instead but I was concerned that the riser might interfere with tilting the gas tank back if I needed to gain access to the battery or throttle body adjusting screws. It would be a pain to have to remove the handlebars just to tilt the tank. So, I guess I just played it safe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Installation was a snap. You wouldn't want to go any higher than this unless you want to replace the brake hose with a longer one. With this riser, there's no binding of the cables or wiring, at least on mine. This is the GenMar X103 riser. Hard to tell if it made it more comfortable without taking a good long ride.

Here's the pic...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Does it seem to put you back a little farther on the seat? Let us know how it feels after a long ride
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RonFZ6 said:
Does it seem to put you back a little farther on the seat? Let us know how it feels after a long ride
I got out on a couple of hour-long rides this past weekend. I now have no shoulder pain whatsoever, AND I am able to sit on the wide part of the seat (just in front of the hump). My rear end feels much better when I get off the bike, as does my shoulder. I was originally thinking that I might have to get a replacement seat, but now I think that I can get by with the stock seat if I get some bicycle shorts to wear under my riding pants.

For me, this easy mod provided a huge improvement in comfort. For reference, I'm short and stocky with kinda short arms (i.e., about 5' 8" and have a 31" inseam).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
FZ6Rider said:
I got out on a couple of hour-long rides this past weekend. I now have no shoulder pain whatsoever, AND I am able to sit on the wide part of the seat (just in front of the hump). My rear end feels much better when I get off the bike, as does my shoulder. I was originally thinking that I might have to get a replacement seat, but now I think that I can get by with the stock seat if I get some bicycle shorts to wear under my riding pants.

For me, this easy mod provided a huge improvement in comfort. For reference, I'm short and stocky with kinda short arms (i.e., about 5' 8" and have a 31" inseam).
Thaks to your excellent report on this produst my wallet is now $77 lighter (including 3 day UPS)

Skippy :leghump
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
FZ6Rider said:
I got out on a couple of hour-long rides this past weekend. I now have no shoulder pain whatsoever, AND I am able to sit on the wide part of the seat (just in front of the hump). My rear end feels much better when I get off the bike, as does my shoulder. I was originally thinking that I might have to get a replacement seat, but now I think that I can get by with the stock seat if I get some bicycle shorts to wear under my riding pants.

For me, this easy mod provided a huge improvement in comfort. For reference, I'm short and stocky with kinda short arms (i.e., about 5' 8" and have a 31" inseam).
Thaks to your excellent report on this product my wallet is now $77 lighter (including 3 day UPS)

Skippy :leghump
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
hey..whats a vista cruise..? and also the handlebar risers are designed to help shorter people is that what you all are saying..if so i think i might get some for my girlfriends gs500..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
sparky8844 said:
hey..whats a vista cruise..? and also the handlebar risers are designed to help shorter people is that what you all are saying..if so i think i might get some for my girlfriends gs500..
Actually, I am 6ft tall and am constantly leaning forward in order to ride the FZ6, I am hoping that they will allow me to sit up and back a little more, as that is where there is less wind buffeting.

Skippy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sparky8844 said:
hey..whats a vista cruise..? and also the handlebar risers are designed to help shorter people is that what you all are saying..if so i think i might get some for my girlfriends gs500..
VistaCruise is an inexpensive cruise control (i.e., throttle lock). It's kind of handy to have when you want to give your throttle arm a little rest on a long ride. More info is available at http://www.soundoffrec.com

I purchased the 7/8" Universal Cruise...it's an easy bolt on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
Update: I got the GenMar 1" risers and I love them! Having them takes weight off the wrists and makes it easier to slide back into wider, flatter part of the seat. Took about 10 minutes to install them.

Thanks for the tip FZ6Rider!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
You old guys and your handle bar risers, ahahaha... lol... Hey I'm just kidding, I'm only 22 and I know in about five years I'll be complaining about my back the way things are going..... It's funny that there is a post in this forum about raising the handlebars, and then one about lowering them... I don't know about you guys but that think that is awesome. This bike is really versatile and I love every min I spend on it. Rock on guys, rock on.

(yes I know this post is worthless, but I have been training for a new job at work, and I have not been able to get onto this forum for a couple of days, I figure I'll make up for my days gone...)
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top