Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
crevans said:
Sorry, we don't speak the queen's English here. I know, I know, we're all uncouth barbarians. :lao

To me, a visor is one of those stupid transparent green billed topless hats that golfers, accountants, and occasionally blackjack dealers wear.
Classic!! :eek:nfloor

· Born Again Rocker
887 Posts
crevans said:
Sorry, we don't speak the queen's English here. I know, I know, we're all uncouth barbarians. :lao

To me, a visor is one of those stupid transparent green billed topless hats that golfers, accountants, and occasionally blackjack dealers wear.
LOL

Yes a word that has been stolen for another purpose. Rather like 'Talent' when refering to these Pop Idol type shows!!

Visor - The front piece of the helmet of a suit of armor, capable of being raised and lowered and designed to protect the eyes, nose, and forehead.

· Registered
498 Posts
rain-x doesnt work for crap on plastic. i tried it. instead of the rain sliding smoothly off it just STICKS there to the visor. it sucks much ass, i dont advise it.

afterwards, 15 minutes of washing with windex to get it off lol

· Registered
394 Posts
Try it and see. It's only a shield. $30 gets you a new one, if that one decides to go Mission Impossible on you and self destruct in 10 seconds. Personally, I just have wipers on all my gloves. The one on my new Held gloves is the full length on my index finger. I can clear my entire field of vision in one easy swipe.

· Born Again Rocker
887 Posts
FZTurtle said:
Try it and see. It's only a shield. $30 gets you a new one, if that one decides to go Mission Impossible on you and self destruct in 10 seconds. Personally, I just have wipers on all my gloves. The one on my new Held gloves is the full length on my index finger. I can clear my entire field of vision in one easy swipe.
$30!! In the UK they are >$80!!! Almost as expensive as some crash helmets, because they don't class as safety equipment so they have tax added.

· Registered
402 Posts
Bass Man said:
$30!! In the UK they are >$80!!! Almost as expensive as some crash helmets, because they don't class as safety equipment so they have tax added.
I've paid as little as $20 for a clear or smoke Arai shield (er.. visor?). $80-100 would get you one of those cool iridium or rainbow tint ones here. I used to have one, but keeping it clean (and the finish unscratched) was more trouble than it was worth.

· Registered
5,522 Posts
I've been using Rain-X on my face shields and had great results from it. Ridden in snow, it doesn't stick. Rain, wash-out conditions, water just rolls off. I apply it once a month. And yes, my faceshield is polycarbonate. Just make sure you follow the directions in applying it.

· Registered
7,326 Posts
crevans said:
I've paid as little as $20 for a clear or smoke Arai shield (er.. visor?). $80-100 would get you one of those cool iridium or rainbow tint ones here. I used to have one, but keeping it clean (and the finish unscratched) was more trouble than it was worth.
A mirrored visor for my HJC CL-14 is only about $35.

· Registered
7,326 Posts
FrednearBoston said:
one place i am thinking about applying Rain-X is on my bike's mirrors - during the recent rain storms here, I noticed how almost unusable my car's mirrors were due to all the rain drops sticking on them.
That won't help much. Unless there's a good amount of air flow, rain-x doesn't do a bit of good. Although, it does keep ice and such from sticking quite as well, but that shouldn't be much of na issue on a bike.

· Registered
9,512 Posts
FZTurtle said:

As casual as you are about $30.00...I could use a new visor...how 'bout you send me $30.00 ?

· So much cooler online
2,239 Posts
04Fizzer said:
That won't help much. Unless there's a good amount of air flow, rain-x doesn't do a bit of good. Although, it does keep ice and such from sticking quite as well, but that shouldn't be much of na issue on a bike.
+1 There is no air flow to push the water beads off of the mirror. I have this same problem when I rain-x my visor. I have to stick my head out to the side to get the wind to clean it off. I agree that the best thing is a thumb wiper. And if you are going to use a wiper, dont put rain-x on, just my personal experience. I found that the harder it rains, the clearer my visor is.

· WYPIWYG
497 Posts
04Fizzer said:
I bought a CL-15 and the Silver mirror to go with it. I would use the term "mirror" lightly. You can see right through the visor. I had a blue mirror visor with the Vega helmet I had and you could not see through it at all. It was great for day riding. I kept the clear one in the bag in case I was coming home at night or in the rain. Needless to say, I was a little dissappointed with HJC mirrored shield....uhhhh, I mean visor.

· Saratogian
3,629 Posts
04Fizzer said:
But that is just about the least expensive full-face helmet you can buy; both the shield and its open/close mechanism suck on that helmet. The mirror shield on my Shoei was around $55 with shipping which still isn't too bad.

· Registered
402 Posts
Mirrored is not the same as Iridium. Iridium is that cool color changing rainbow tint - blue at the edges, red in the middle, depending on what angle you're viewing it at. I miss that shield, even though it was a pain to keep clean. It nobly sacrificed itself during a face plant last year.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.