Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
Joined
·
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All!
Just had to post up that I had the FUNNEST race ever last night!!! Since the guys that run two-strokes are SO much faster than I am, I asked if I could run in the four stroke class without points just for the joy of racing. I am usually hotlapping and not racing anyone...not much fun. So they let me into the four stroke class and I actually got to race! It was AWESOME!!! I am still having HUGE brake issues (as in I don't really have any :lao ) and still managed to keep my times down.
The best was in the feature...I had a HORRID start, those four strokes go on command and I of course screwed up and bogged the bike...slipped the clutch and got the rpm's back up and shot past the majority that had gotten me on the start line. Then for the first time ever, I flew down the straight and passed ON THE INSIDE of my most feared turn!!! It was an awesome achievement!!!! So the guy that I passed and I had a great race. At one point he showed me a wheel on the inside of a hair pin turn. I thought to myself "oh HELL no!" Managed to pull the bike up, smack the throttle, wheelied :banana and pull out ahead of him...it was SO cool!!! Usually in the hairpin, if I smack the throttle I'll low-side, but I actually did it right...it was AWESOME!!!! Anyway, had to share because it was my best race ever. I didn't totally suck and actually competed.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
45,772 Posts
Damn, that sounds like fun! :banana I want to go to Jennings with my bike, but I have to get leathers and a free weekend and the spare money to do it. One day.... :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
832 Posts
glad to hear your having a blast
 

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
Joined
·
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!
Acalliste~now is a good time to search for leather. The year end close outs should be right around the corner. I "settled" for some mens AGV leather that my dealership found for me. They are far from perfect but definitely do the job. Talk to your favorite dealership, figure out your size and have them do a search on AGV closeouts. I bought my two-piece leather for about $325ish. It retailed for $699. Like I said it's not a perfect fit but totally functional and crashes well! :) I can't really complain. So if you are looking for something less expensive just to get started you might want to try that. They are decent quality leather and hold up quite well when you skid across the pavement. My jacket is a little large but the pants fit a lot better than I thought. My main problem is that the pants slide down too far because the jacket is too long. So all I really need to do is hike up the pants before I climb on the bike. For the price an how badly I am beating them up I am willing to deal with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
Damn that does sound like fun !! Congrats. Sounds like you gave them a good run. My next(first) chance for track day is the?? second week in september? I can't wait.
keep us posted on ur progress.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
45,772 Posts
blndebmbr said:
Thanks!
Acalliste~now is a good time to search for leather. The year end close outs should be right around the corner. I "settled" for some mens AGV leather that my dealership found for me. They are far from perfect but definitely do the job. Talk to your favorite dealership, figure out your size and have them do a search on AGV closeouts. I bought my two-piece leather for about $325ish. It retailed for $699. Like I said it's not a perfect fit but totally functional and crashes well! :) I can't really complain. So if you are looking for something less expensive just to get started you might want to try that. They are decent quality leather and hold up quite well when you skid across the pavement. My jacket is a little large but the pants fit a lot better than I thought. My main problem is that the pants slide down too far because the jacket is too long. So all I really need to do is hike up the pants before I climb on the bike. For the price an how badly I am beating them up I am willing to deal with it.
Thanks for the advice :) My worry is getting the fit right. I'd like to be able to try some on & see which ones fit the best, but no one really carries women's leathers around here. I'm hoping that I can find some to try on during biketoberfest. I have a friend who is an ebay addict, and used to race, and he's trying to get me & his gf to take our bikes to the track. So he's always sending me links to leathers he finds on ebay. I'll probably go that route, after I can try some on and see what size I wear.

You are so awesome with all the stuff you are doing! Thanks for the inspiration!
 

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
Joined
·
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
acalliste said:
Thanks for the advice :) My worry is getting the fit right. I'd like to be able to try some on & see which ones fit the best, but no one really carries women's leathers around here. I'm hoping that I can find some to try on during biketoberfest. I have a friend who is an ebay addict, and used to race, and he's trying to get me & his gf to take our bikes to the track. So he's always sending me links to leathers he finds on ebay. I'll probably go that route, after I can try some on and see what size I wear.

You are so awesome with all the stuff you are doing! Thanks for the inspiration!

I am not sure of your size, but I am 5'6", approx 130# and typically wear a size 6. Tops are always small and bottoms are medium. I know my suit is the smallest size AGV makes (can't remember off the top of my head). Just remember when you try the leather on it is SUPPOSED to be tight...just like a helmet the material will stretch the more you use it. I like nothing more than a good solid rain to ride in so the leather will stretch. I know the tendancy to wait so you can try leather on, but be aware you may be waiting forever. I finally got sick of waiting and went for it. My first leather purchase was off ebay and it ended up being a teknic two-piece that was way too short through the mid-section....it always "cut" me in bad places when I sat down. :rolleyes (cameltoe is not a good thing for racing or trackdays! :lao ) Anyway, when I did the research, Alpinestars was WAY more money than I had and Dianese was definitely out (Those are the only two that I know of that specifically make women's leather-with the exception of custom Vanson). So unless you plan to be serious and race I wouldn't worry too much about "perfect" fit. If you go through a dealership and you get the wrong size, they will usually exchange it...you can't off ebay. I may have paid a little more for my set than I would have on ebay, but I was assured the possibility of an exchange if necessary. I made sure to try it on BEFORE I left the store so there was no question if I needed to exchange it.

I'm glad I can inspire...I just do what I do and tell everyone who will listen about it! :lao I hope more of us females get out there and compete...but I'd be satisfied with more girls just showing up for trackdays!!! WE CAN DO THIS TOO!!!! :cheers
 

·
I'm A Naughty Girl
Joined
·
837 Posts
Hey acalliste, go over Cycle Gear( Orlando), and talk to Nikki, she will help fit you for a suit. She's a good friend of mine. If you want a personalized suit go over to SYED Leathers, great prices, tell them I sent you and they will give you a better deal. Click the link in my signature. Come on out to the track, I go often and could help out if you want it. Good luck.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
45,772 Posts
UPallNITE said:
Hey acalliste, go over Cycle Gear( Orlando), and talk to Nikki, she will help fit you for a suit. She's a good friend of mine. If you want a personalized suit go over to SYED Leathers, great prices, tell them I sent you and they will give you a better deal. Click the link in my signature. Come on out to the track, I go often and could help out if you want it. Good luck.
Thanks! I go to cycle gear a lot. Is Nikki the dark haired girl that works the counter/floor? I will def ask for her help. I think she may have tried to help me before but I had my mind set on what I wanted and didn't listen to her (I sowwie!). I really want to get the fit right before I buy anything. My body seems to defy all brands & sizes, just to be obstinate. :D When my fat jeans are dirty I'm bloated. When my skinny jeans are dirty I'm lookin hot. You know the drill..... :dblthumb

I'm gonna need some help on the track. I know the streets I know, but I also know I don't know shit about really going fast. I think I can do it though if I can learn it before I kill myself or throw my bike away :lao
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
45,772 Posts
blndebmbr said:
I am not sure of your size, but I am 5'6", approx 130# and typically wear a size 6. Tops are always small and bottoms are medium. I know my suit is the smallest size AGV makes (can't remember off the top of my head). Just remember when you try the leather on it is SUPPOSED to be tight...just like a helmet the material will stretch the more you use it. I like nothing more than a good solid rain to ride in so the leather will stretch. I know the tendancy to wait so you can try leather on, but be aware you may be waiting forever. I finally got sick of waiting and went for it. My first leather purchase was off ebay and it ended up being a teknic two-piece that was way too short through the mid-section....it always "cut" me in bad places when I sat down. (cameltoe is not a good thing for racing or trackdays! ) Anyway, when I did the research, Alpinestars was WAY more money than I had and Dianese was definitely out (Those are the only two that I know of that specifically make women's leather-with the exception of custom Vanson). So unless you plan to be serious and race I wouldn't worry too much about "perfect" fit. If you go through a dealership and you get the wrong size, they will usually exchange it...you can't off ebay. I may have paid a little more for my set than I would have on ebay, but I was assured the possibility of an exchange if necessary. I made sure to try it on BEFORE I left the store so there was no question if I needed to exchange it.

I'm glad I can inspire...I just do what I do and tell everyone who will listen about it! I hope more of us females get out there and compete...but I'd be satisfied with more girls just showing up for trackdays!!! WE CAN DO THIS TOO!!!!
I think I'm about 25% b***** than you (Bitch!) :lol I'm gonna try some different stuff, but I appreciate the tips. I wan to do this so bad, but I'm the kind of person that wants to do everything perfect the first time, so it's scary for me. i know that's not going to happen so I have to ease myself into non-perfection slowly. I'm such a high-maintenance bitch when it comes to dealing with myself! :rolleyes
 

·
Combat Marshmellow
Joined
·
13,132 Posts
acalliste said:
I'm such a high-maintenance bitch
:eek: WOW an honest woman....
 

·
Combat Marshmellow
Joined
·
13,132 Posts
 

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
Joined
·
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
acalliste said:
I think I'm about 25% b***** than you (Bitch!) :lol I'm gonna try some different stuff, but I appreciate the tips. I wan to do this so bad, but I'm the kind of person that wants to do everything perfect the first time, so it's scary for me. i know that's not going to happen so I have to ease myself into non-perfection slowly. I'm such a high-maintenance bitch when it comes to dealing with myself! :rolleyes

First off.. :upyours :lao
Other than that, I understand perfection as well...which is why motorcycling is such a joy and frustration at the same time! I have to be able to do things well....not just do them, which I am sure you can relate to. You'll figure something out!
Oh and high maintenance is a relative term. I always thought I was high maintenance too, but have since learned otherwise! Now it's gas in the bike and I am set! Hair? "My hair is all messed up? OH!!!! That's because of the HELMET!!!!" :eek:nfloor
 

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
Joined
·
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
MV5890 said:
this thread makes me happy. i can't wait for my track day in a few weeks.
AWESOME Kristen!!! When/where are you going? :banana I am SO excited for you!!!!
Make sure you post pics!!! Your R6 is the sweetest on the track. If I remember correctly, yours is an '04 too, right? On my first day (because I am a chicken shit) I kept mine in third pretty much the whole track. At the end of the day I got "really daring" and bumped her into fourth on the straight...but at the end of the straight was that damn turn!!! :eek:nfloor BRAKES!!!! :lao Third was perfect (for that track) because it was right in the middle of the power band...she didn't get "torquey" in the turns nor did she bog. It made it really easy for the first time on the track. And here is the best advice I recieved on my first track day:
"When you feel like you can go faster, wait three laps just to be sure. Then go faster."
No truer words were ever spoken!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Thanks chick. I'm doing VIR north course on October 3rd. I can't wait. I am excited and nervous all at the same time. Nervous because I've never done it before but excited because I know I'm going to love it. When I ride the streets now, I'm always thinking in my head "if I could only go a little bit faster and not have to worry about objects flying at me like cars, dogs, etc." Everyone picks on me because I'm slow now. It isn't that I don't have the potential...it's just that I don't want to EAT IT on the street. If I crash, I'd like for it to be on a track where I know the ambulance is only a red flag away. haha Plus the fact that I'll have full leathers on.

I didn't realize it was so easy to get sponsors. I've NEVER been on a track before and I had people come to ME wanting to slap some stickers on my bike and give me discounts/free stuff. I think it's pretty cool they are willing to help me out. I just hope I don't let them down. haha So far I've gotten a free custom leather suit, free tools/tool box, and grips for my tank (still waiting on those though). I also got discounts from a clothing line. So yeah, I didn't realize it was this easy. I guess there really aren't many females in this sport.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Oh and I'll remember that for the rest of my life: "When you feel like you can go faster, wait three laps just to be sure. Then go faster."

Thanks for the advice!!
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top