Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I operate a game development company and I’m currently evaluating the development an Isle of Man TT simulation for PC/Mac.

I believe that for this project to be feasible, we need to not only appeal to the motorsports gaming market, but also to general motorcycle enthusiasts who may not typically play games.

I’d be very grateful if you could help with the feasibility study by providing ‘yes’ or ‘no’ answers for the following questions…

1. Do you currently play any form of racing games on PC or gaming consoles?

2. Would you pay $30-40 for an IoM TT (PC/Mac) simulation if it provided you with a realistic riding experience and an accurate representation of the event?

3. Would additional add-on packs (for example classic TT bikes and tracks such as Macau) be desirable to you?

4. Would a desk-mountable handlebar controller be of much higher importance to you than using a game-pad or joystick controller?

5. Would you be prepared to pay $200-300 for a high-quality desk-mountable handlebar controller if it vastly improved the overall experience, feel and sense of immersion?

Thanks for your time, it's much appreciated.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
1. Heck yes! Gran Turismo 5 (ps3), rFactor, rFactor 2, WSBK, GP bikes. All on PC, except GT5.

2. HECK YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. You betcha, would LOVE to have Southern 100, or Northwest 200, as well.

4. Not sure, as long as it isn't THAT expensive.

5. Maybe, depending on how accurate, how adjustable, or quality of parts (example is potentiometers vs. belt servos).

Do NOT let 4 & 5 discourage you, I would still buy the simulator! :D

Just an observation that I have had for years of sim gaming. Allow the player to make HIS OWN team! I can't stand having to ride/drive as another athlete. Example is, on rFactor, I love Ayrton Senna, but you can't make your own team and race against him, you have to be him or his teammate.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
1.I like racing games ,though I'm primarily a PC gamer I prefer racing games on a console on a big TV.

2 & 3. I HATE the trend of buying an incomplete game and then having to buy expansion packs. Just sell me a complete game for $60.

4&5. I'm OK with using a game pad. I've tried the steering wheel setups and never liked them much.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
I can only wish that a solid well made handlebar controller could be made for the Xbox and Playstation, let alone a PC or Mac. I flat out don't play racing games because of this.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I prefer racing games with rpg style advancement. Huge selections of new and used that you modify then earn enough money to advance. Never have cared for pure simulation. I can step outside and hop on a bike, but I'm too poor to buy every interesting bike I like and modify the piss out of it.

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts

GRID2 on PC - used to play other games such as Gran Turismo, Need for Speed, etc but not anymore.

2. Would you pay $30-40 for an IoM TT (PC/Mac) simulation if it provided you with a realistic riding experience and an accurate representation of the event?

Yes, if it was a complete game (choice of riders, appropriate motorcycles, various race formats etc)

3. Would additional add-on packs (for example classic TT bikes and tracks such as Macau) be desirable to you?

I dislike DLC/microtransactions as a rule. If you have the ability to include these features, they should be included in the base game. Intentionally marketing them as future add-ons basically says that you're intentionally selling an artificially incomplete game so as to milk more money out of the consumer (in my opinion)

4. Would a desk-mountable handlebar controller be of much higher importance to you than using a game-pad or joystick controller?

No, not really. A standard game controller (or heck, even a racing wheel) would be adequate substitutions for handlebars.

5. Would you be prepared to pay $200-300 for a high-quality desk-mountable handlebar controller if it vastly improved the overall experience, feel and sense of immersion?

No

Thanks for your time, it's much appreciated.
Question: would you be open to making this game compatible with the Oculus Rift? Because that would be freaking amazing.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
1. Yes. I've always been a gamer and I've always like racing and shooting games.

2. Yes. That price is in the range of most games. These days I'm paying about $60 for an Xbox game. I mostly game on consoles and rarely play PC based games other than cards or Flight Sim. years ago.

3.Add on packs would be welcome and smart for you.

4.I don't see the interest in handlebars. It is only half the experience of riding. I just can't see the thrill of twisting the throttle being superior over using a standard game console.
5. Nope. I don't see the value and if you're going to have a clutch it should be realistic, as in stalls and wheelies.

Good Luck with the game.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback guy's and keep it coming.

To address some of your comments...

@ Shamrock627 - Good point about customization however we've yet to decide how far we'll go with this, but at the very least we'll probably allow provision for custom liveries.

@ No Coast Rider - I also prefer to play racing games on a large TV screen and we're also looking into the viability of supporting PS4.

@ Claudius - I've got interest from several hardware peripheral companies who will contemplate designing and building a desk mountable handlebar controller providing they are convinced there is a market for such a device.

@ glenn3 - I envisage that a handlebar controller device would incorporate a 2-axis movement however because it's mounted on a desk you'll obviously have to move the handlebar yourself instead of leaning into corners.

@ oic0 - I can't see an RPG element working in this style of game... it's far too simple.

@ Rhetorik - Oculus Rift = definitely on the cards ;)

@ PWGUNNY - Thanks for your input, the argument for and against a handlebar controller is very relevant and it's actually good to see that a game-pad controller is acceptable to many people.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I think what glenn3 was asking about is, would moving the right handlebar forward slightly, cause the bike to turn right, as it does IRL?

But yes, to all of your questions.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Not currently. Though I have played them in the past on gaming consoles from the Atari 2600 through PS3/Xbox 360 generations.

2. Would you pay $30-40 for an IoM TT (PC/Mac) simulation if it provided you with a realistic riding experience and an accurate representation of the event? PC/Mac, no. Console, yes.

3. Would additional add-on packs (for example classic TT bikes and tracks such as Macau) be desirable to you? Maybe. It would depend on the price point and the quality of the tracks.

4. Would a desk-mountable handlebar controller be of much higher importance to you than using a game-pad or joystick controller? No.

5. Would you be prepared to pay $200-300 for a high-quality desk-mountable handlebar controller if it vastly improved the overall experience, feel and sense of immersion? No. A handlebar controller would not feel like a motorcycle to me. And I always preferred a joystick or gamepad controller over handlebar and sit on and lean motorcycle controllers in Hang On. You just won't get the sensation of centrifugal force with a stationary or operator lean only set up.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think what glenn3 was asking about is, would moving the right handlebar forward slightly, cause the bike to turn right, as it does IRL?
Yes would push right initiate a right turn and use force feedback to aide in the simulation? Different bikes could fall into the turn at different rates and some bikes heavier than others on the force feedback.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes would push right initiate a right turn and use force feedback to aide in the simulation? Different bikes could fall into the turn at different rates and some bikes heavier than others on the force feedback.
This would definitely take a lot of R&D to iron out. The possibilities of what is/isn't achievable with this type of hardware is beyond my level of expertise, but I know least 2 people who are currently designing hardware for exactly this purpose, one of which is being designed for a Motor X simulation.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
a handlebar controller is, in my, opinion an incomplete controller. If I were to go with a peripheral along that line, I'd be doing a full on bike body. much like I built my own racing seat for Gran Turismo and Live for Speed.

however, with Tourist trophy being the only half decent racing sim for bikes, yes I'd buy this. twice.

if the physics get done right, I'd see about expanding it from TT to other tracks, and leagues. THAT'S an expansion pack I can get behind.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts