Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read most of the posts on here using the search about takeoffs. I understand the whole heat cycle concept and all that. Here's why I want to know about them-

Today I looked at my rear tire (Metz M1) after doing a couple hundred miles last week. It is starting to get pretty thin, and if I'm not into or at the wear bars by the end of this month, I'll be suprised. A friend of mine is needing new tires also for his old school chopper, being as how that bike sat for 9 years when he bought it a few weeks ago. We were discussing going in 50/50 on a tire balancer. He said he can borrow an iron to mount my tires for me and then we could balance them ourselves. I always take my rims off anyhow so that's not a problem. All of a sudden, takeoffs popped into my head. I'd never seriously considered them before, b/c paying $44/set to get them mounted wouldn't make it worthwhile, considering they aren't supposed to last long.

If I can get them on my bike for only the cost of them, I'm wondering if they would be worth it. How long do they last compared to street tires? I have all but decided up until now to go with the Metzeler Z6, because I can't afford to spend $250 on tires every 3000 miles. I figure the takeoffs should have enough grip for me, there are 1/8-1/4in strips on the sides of my M1's, and I've never hammered on it enough to spin the tire.

Of course it depends on the condition of the tire, but for the people who ride takeoffs, how long do they last you on the street? My riding is probably 85% straight line, twisty roads are around, but you have to ride at least an hour or 2 to get there.

I'm not wanting to look like a trackstar or anything and I have no delusions of needing racetrack grip, but only need a tire that gives decent stick and good mileage for the price. Guess when you factor in the average prices, a good question that could take the place of this whole post, is- Which lasts longer, 2 sets of takeoffs, or 1 set of Z6's?

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
If I had to guess, I'd say a set of Z6s will last longer. Probably heat up faster and do better in the rain too. But that's a guess.

I don't really think you need a balancer, just two jack stands and your axle. If you only have one tire iron though I'd spend your money on a couple more. And a bead breaker.

·
Registered
725 Posts
The bearings in your axel are not "loose" enough to balance well. Mostly all you'll get is the axel itself spinning on the jackstands.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
My bearings are good enough for balancing, dunno about yours :) Thick coat of grease on the axle helps.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Ummm ok I guess, that just sounds funny. I guess if you've never seen a regular balancer. Thick grease=much resistance. If you have it in your setup, and you taped a 1/4 ounce weight at 3 o'clock on your tire, would it fall to the bottom by itself?

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Absolutely. I often have to chop those weights in half to be more precise. To get it done really perfect it helps to twirl both ends of the axle back and forth between your fingers.

·
Registered
926 Posts
where do you plan on getting your take off's? if there is a track around you, that would be great. when some guy is changing his tires just be like "hey, ill throw you 20 bucks for your take-off's" and he'll most likely hand them right over. i put them on my gixxer and havnt really had a problem. just make sure you get some hard acceleration and hard braking before you really lean her over.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That would be another problem. The closest track to me is Putnam Park, IN which is probably 3-4hrs away. So if I ended up getting takeoffs, they would be sight unseen and I'd just have to take the word of the seller that they haven't been cycled 39438976 times and stored outside in the sun for 2 years.

·
Registered
926 Posts
PUTNAM PARK! thats the track that popped my cherry

if ya think about it, it wont be so bad. go out there with a buddy, watch some guys ride around the track and more than likely catch a crash or two. have a couple drinks and head home with a nice set of take offs. though that would pretty much sum up your day.

if you do go the take-off route, try and get them from someone who doesnt look like they are riding on a small budget. i know some people who go threw 2 sets of tires a day just because they can, bastards!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts