Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone buy the used tires like on ebay that are race take offs? most ahve only been used for one or two track days. i was wondering if it was worth it to save the extra money buying these or should i just spend the extra money and buy new. im kinda strapped for cash right now though

·
Registered
910 Posts
Depends on what you are planning to use the tires for. If you buy take-offs, you are better off buying from someone you know and trust. I sell take-offs all the time, usually to people who've purchased them from me in the past and can trust what they are going to get is as I describe it.

·
Registered
489 Posts
They are decent, but my bike had some race takeoffs when I got it, and I honestly prefer the handling of my Metzeler Roadtecs. Granted, I was running a Perelli Supercorsa up front with a D207 in the rear, which probably don't go together very well (once again, it was not my doing), but I guess they had been through a ton of heat cycles, because I honestly feel like I have ALMOST as much traction with the 10K mile Metzelers. I figure they are cheaper in the long run since it will be so much longer before I have to buy a new pair. I'm not a huge fan of race takeoffs myself.

·
DT is happy it snowed
1,582 Posts
I would stay away from tires that heat cycle like rennsports, supercorses, and pilot power races. You'd be just fine with a set of diablo corses, 208's, pilot powers, etc... though for street riding.

·
Registered
108 Posts
jusfuris said:
anyone buy the used tires like on ebay that are race take offs? most ahve only been used for one or two track days. i was wondering if it was worth it to save the extra money buying these or should i just spend the extra money and buy new. im kinda strapped for cash right now though
Race take-offs are great! Come to think of it.... I have a set of BT-002s with a race weekend and 1 trackday on them.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Buddy of mine has a set on his R1, got a good price and they have plenty of rubber on them.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well some of them look pretty good, and im not hard on tires at all it seems, well if the ones on my GS500 are any indication anyway. but i did slide those around they just didnt lose much tread at all, maybe theyre a really hard compound. i cant mount them myself though. my front tire seems to be ok, but my rear tire as a crack in it, albeit very tiny it still worries me.

·
Go #214!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2,390 Posts
Are you using them for the street? Cause thats a terrible idea. No way can you get a set of race tires to heat up enough to be any good on the street.

·
Registered
108 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts

·
voted for an American
4,580 Posts
Mantis said:
Are you using them for the street? Cause thats a terrible idea. No way can you get a set of race tires to heat up enough to be any good on the street.
A cold race tire is still stickier than a cold street tire. Street tires warm up quicker though. I ride on GPA's on the street and they work fine.

·
voted for an American
4,580 Posts
roadracer319 said:
Oh, I didn't answer your question..... The front tire is going to have less side wall the tire you currently have. 70mm vs 60mm.

Yeah stick to 70. The 60 series might have a better turn in but you have to compensate with the fork height I believe.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Mantis said:
your wrong there have gotten my race takeoffs so hot you could'nt touch them with your hand

·
Registered
17 Posts
im glad this subject was brought up, i posted in another forum/website and no response, i as well recently purchased a set of race take off(michelin power race) meduim soft compound front and rear, and was wondering who is using them on street would you recommend them and i have pilot power still new and debtaing if i should swap them and use the power race until the wear and swap back to the street tires, i have heard some people swear they would never go back to street tires also usally the edge are used up i mainly street drive and ocassional twisties, but i dont/cant go that low anyway so i doubt it matter if the edges are used up , i seen some guys ride with slick but only in the summer, sorry i am not try to hi jack this post, by the way when you by race take off make sure you know you buying from, or good feedback on ebay who sells lot of take offs will lead you in to the right direction by the way i dont know if you bid or won that tire but a ebayer who i bought from and is reliable is sbmotorsports on ebay,i was refered to buy from him,thanks

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i didnt buy them, werent sure theyd fit. well seems to be mixed reviews on the idea of race take offs. ill just wait to see what a few more about say about them, but ill prolly end up going with a set of them. i would buy new, nut i aint got the money now, and now is when i need them

·
voted for an American
4,580 Posts
bartzx9r said:
your wrong there have gotten my race takeoffs so hot you could'nt touch them with your hand
On the street? I know for a fact that I've never reach a heat cycle on my GPA's on the street. I mean it's possible but the street is not a racetrack.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I don't have an opinion on the subject but I've asked the same question. From what I gather, as long as you know what you're getting and if they aren't cooked and you give them a lot of warmup time, you should be fine. We will see about that. Just yesterday I ordered a set of Metzeler Racetecs, 190/55 and 120/70. My Metz M1's have a big flat spot in the middle because unfortunately, our roads suck. Hopefully the takeoffs will be fine for what I want them for. I was set on Metz Z6's, but as was said earlier, I too am short on $ right now and just need something to get me by for probably 1200-1500mi or so until the season is over.

While we are on the subject of takeoffs, what do you guys run in them for street use only? With both Diablos and M1's I have been running 36R 33F for mixed riding and it seems to work fine. Would that be fine for most types of takeoffs? I know track pressures are lower, but I don't want to wear them out even sooner than they already will be by running way too low of a pressure. I can see dropping to 31/31 or something for twisties at a quick pace if it would help, but just want to get a suggestion or 2.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts