Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
the r7 was the first production bike with black powder coated frame. and look at the forks, they are no doubt not the oem r1 forks of that age. and look at the marchesini wheels. plus the non-standard projector plasma headlights. if it's an r1, someone took the effort to make it look like an r7

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Nope, that aint no R7, thats a tricked out first generation R1, and the headlights are just modded, a projector inside the stock housing. You can tell them apart just because of the headlights, the R7 headlights were smaller and had sharper angles.

·
Midnight Rider
415 Posts
an R7 is a bike that yamaha made to compete with a 700CC bike. it is a VERY sweet bike, and it is also very rare. it looks similar to an R1, but a little smaller, and it requires a racing lisense to get one i think. but if that is a real R7, then you have witnessed a living legend.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Just a couple of pics to show you how a real street (homologation) R7 looks like:

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
ahhh, i guess someone did take the time. and it does require a valid racing license to get one...good thing i've got one, now all i need is $25,000 :leghump

·
Registered
152 Posts
no, it's kinda like the ducati 916 used to be. it was straight track ready. high quality forks, shock, race fairings, modded internals. kinda like the 749r that ducati has now. the roadracing world magazine took a bone stock 749r and won a wsmc race against all other types of 750 ducs & 600 supersport bikes. and that bike is like $20,000. what i'm trying to say is: if you bought let's say a stock r6 and wanted to be race competitive, after all the parts you'd need to buy, you could've just bought their race ready r6 (if they made one, which they don't, you only have on option) and it would be much better tuned by them anyway. the thing is, you can't buy a non race-ready r7.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
It was a "limited" edition. Not really limited, as it wasn't even intended for production, they just built some of them (don't know how many they were required to) in "street legal trim" to be able to enter them in the 750cc category.

That kind of vehicles are called "homologation" vehicles, that are street legal versions built in extremely reduced numbers just to get them aproved for an X race series. You can find examples of homologation vehicles being motorcycles or cars, they are most of the time rarer than limited editions, as there are a limited number of them, with extremely race-ready setups (most of the time just replace a few bolts and you've got a race ready vehicle), and most are pre-sold even before they hit the market.

In the case of the R7 it was only available to racers, with licenses and that could prove their involvment in "serious" racing.

Kind of what Ferrari did with the Enzo. To be able to be considered as a buyer you must have a F40 and a F50, then Ferrari had to aprove you, that was the only way to get the car. So people bought them for half a milion and could instantly sell them for almost a million (or something like that, those cars doubled their value after leaving the showroom...)

·
Registered
681 Posts
I hope that chick looked WAAAAAAAY better in person for you to call her "smokin' hot"......she looks like ass in the pic.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
Shinkaze said:
Those headlights look way different from the picture I took.... figures...freak'n Motorcycle Rice.......ugh. I hate it when people badge their car/bike as something it isn't.
well i wouldn't call it rice, it's got some really nice mods done to it....... :cool:

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
The R7 is a legend. I've never seen a real one on the street, and rarely in a show.
The same homologation rule that brings us the street legal R7 is the same rule that forces Kawasaki to sell two 600 ninjas. The 600cc RR version is not as righteous stock as the R7 was, but is made in larger numbers. The rules don't allow Kawi to run a scaled down 636, so they have to make (and sell a certain number of as 'street' bikes) a whole other 600 machine.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Süsser Tod said:
It was a "limited" edition. Not really limited, as it wasn't even intended for production, they just built some of them (don't know how many they were required to) in "street legal trim" to be able to enter them in the 750cc category.

That kind of vehicles are called "homologation" vehicles, that are street legal versions built in extremely reduced numbers just to get them aproved for an X race series. You can find examples of homologation vehicles being motorcycles or cars, they are most of the time rarer than limited editions, as there are a limited number of them, with extremely race-ready setups (most of the time just replace a few bolts and you've got a race ready vehicle), and most are pre-sold even before they hit the market.

In the case of the R7 it was only available to racers, with licenses and that could prove their involvment in "serious" racing.

Kind of what Ferrari did with the Enzo. To be able to be considered as a buyer you must have a F40 and a F50, then Ferrari had to aprove you, that was the only way to get the car. So people bought them for half a milion and could instantly sell them for almost a million (or something like that, those cars doubled their value after leaving the showroom...)
That Enzo comment is a bit off. Tommy Hillfiger(sic?) bought one, he doesn't have an f40 or f50. You had to agree not to sell it for x ammount of time, along with that you had to be a previous customer. Just a previous customer, not an owner of f40's and f50's. Also, you had to go through an interview. That part was right.

·
Writer of Wrongs
3,633 Posts
I once saw a road ready Honda RC45. Believe me when you see it and hear it you can tell that this bike is no mere streetbike. :headbang

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I've seen one R7 on the road awhile back and it was sweet, still that R1 isn't half bad either.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts