Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99-04 R6 comapred to a 98-03 GSX-r 600 Ive been told the R6 is a better machine. I know the HP figures are close yet tip in the favor of the R6,a lthough speed is not a factor in this decsion. My question is all spped aside is one really better than the other, reliabilty wise, stability wise, or handling wise? I dont want to nor plan on racing so power really doesnt mean anything to me.

Thank you in advance for a breakdown of these two machines.

·
Registered
209 Posts
never rode either one but sat on both and the R6 is much more comfortable imo. since you dont plan to do track that should be a big factor. both are supposed to be reliable and stable if just comes down to personal preference pretty much.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TRocket said:
never rode either one but sat on both and the R6 is much more comfortable imo. since you dont plan to do track that should be a big factor. both are supposed to be reliable and stable if just comes down to personal preference pretty much.
True I forgot about comfort, id like to take it out cruising some distances, Im just not sure how realistic that is on a sport bike.

Does the R6 have a storage area under the seat at all, Ive seen some that do?

·
Registered
209 Posts
im not sure but if it does dont plan on putting anything b***** than a wallet down there. i cant even fit a DVD case under my seat

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
I prefer the Yami styling and comfort. I've never liked zuki seats--they always have me in a position that I find quite uncomfortable (even for a sportbike). From my "sit-tests" I'd probably go look at a 636, comfort wise, at least.

On topic, though, I'd take the Yami.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
first bike?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Peak power on the R6 might be better but the GSXR has a better powerband and torque curve, and all around feels more powerful. The GSXR also to me feels more planted in corners, R6 seems to be twitchy, with tendencies to oversteer, and get headshake easily. Most of that can be fixed with a damper but I still prefer the GSXR for corners, not only that but an r6 is a girls bike.

·
Registered
926 Posts
i agree with meh2u. except 01-02 gixxer is more powerful than the 99-02 r6.

comfort styling and handling is all a matter of personal perference...or else all bikes would look and feel the same. so get out and try to get some test rides from local people sellin their machines.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Meh2u said:
Peak power on the R6 might be better but the GSXR has a better powerband and torque curve, and all around feels more powerful. The GSXR also to me feels more planted in corners, R6 seems to be twitchy, with tendencies to oversteer, and get headshake easily. Most of that can be fixed with a damper but I still prefer the GSXR for corners, not only that but an r6 is a girls bike.

how the hell is an r6 a girls bike?

·
Banned
1,673 Posts
If you don't want a bike for "speed" or "racing", then don't get a supersport. Why not get a cruiser?

Sit on both and decide for yourself. The bikes are so close that they're referred to as identical, so make your own judgements.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ershank said:
If you don't want a bike for "speed" or "racing", then don't get a supersport. Why not get a cruiser?

Sit on both and decide for yourself. The bikes are so close that they're referred to as identical, so make your own judgements.
I hate the way cruisers look. I know sounds vain, but i really dont care what other people think, just my opinion that they are ugly as hell.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
Meh2u said:

i suppose you think an R1 is a girls bike too? FYI, the R6 is just as likely and more than likely to spit you off over the bars simply b/c it IS more twitchy. But, in the corners both bikes are awesome machines and it simply boils down to comfort and preference.

Meh2u, just for your own information, I ride an R1 and believe you me, that and the r6 is as far from a girlie bike as a football team being compared to a tennis match. I am far from butch and can be pretty just like any other girl, but I'm NOT a girly girl and wouldn't dream of insulting a bike like that. :urowned

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
silent_R1 said:
i suppose you think an R1 is a girls bike too? FYI, the R6 is just as likely and more than likely to spit you off over the bars simply b/c it IS more twitchy. But, in the corners both bikes are awesome machines and it simply boils down to comfort and preference.

Meh2u, just for your own information, I ride an R1 and believe you me, that and the r6 is as far from a girlie bike as a football team being compared to a tennis match. I am far from butch and can be pretty just like any other girl, but I'm NOT a girly girl and wouldn't dream of insulting a bike like that. :urowned
Thank you! :cheers

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
Ive had both and would get another gsxr600 but it would take some convincing to get another R6 for me

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
21 natas said:
Ive had both and would get another gsxr600 but it would take some convincing to get another R6 for me
What did you like better about gsx-r 600 opposed to the r6.

Someone above said something about the R6 being twitchy, not sure if i want a twitchy bike, or how exactly they meant that.

·
Midnight Rider
415 Posts
i have an 01 R6 and i am pretty happy with it. only reason i would get rid of it would be to buy a new one. or an R1 (but i hear the R1 is for girls :p )

·
Banned
2,680 Posts
patfitz9 said:
i have an 01 R6 and i am pretty happy with it. only reason i would get rid of it would be to buy a new one. or an R1 (but i hear the R1 is for girls :p )
:lao :eek:nfloor

·
Registered
488 Posts
gixxer with a gel seat seat and you'll be set. I've ridden the R6 and i didnt really like it all that much, seemed a lil weak and hollow in the earlier RPMs.. Just one mans opinion though.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
they are the same, just get which ever one you think looks the coolest imho.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
deadman1515 said:
What did you like better about gsx-r 600 opposed to the r6.

Someone above said something about the R6 being twitchy, not sure if i want a twitchy bike, or how exactly they meant that.

okay, this will sound hokey, so forgive me...I used to live in OKlahoma (in the sticks) and rode horses. This is how I compare the bikes.

R1/R6=throughbred/Arabian...high strung
Gsxr=quarterhorse, solid more even temperment.

Does that help? all of the bikes are twitchy to some degree. All of the front ends are light at some point. It is a matter of comfort. Myself? I'm comfortable with nailing the throttle coming out of corner and having the R1 shake its head (even w/a damper), it doesn't faze me anymore. Of course, I do like my bf's Gsxr too, but it feels differently for me. the R1 definitely feels more highstrung...which I like. Again, it is personal preference.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts