Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, add any recalls you know about here, and any links to official documentation of the recall that you have.

I know about the ignition coil recall for the '03s, but I don't have details about it. If anyone can add more information, that would help.

:cheers

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Battery leak on the 01-02's. If I remember correctly very few had this problem. The ignition coils on the 03's affected just about every bike.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the battery leak, it wasn't an actual recall. If the damage happend, and you were still under warranty, Yamaha would replace the damaged parts. If out of warranty, sorry, you're sol.

·
Registered
88 Posts
well there was a service bulletin for the '03+, about the fuel tank vent hoses. not sure what the number was, i just read about it at a friends shop. if you have a hard time opening your gas cap most times the fuel vent hoses were kinked. the service department would just route these hoses a different way to prevent the kinks.

·
IM A BAD ASS WITH A STICK
374 Posts
xtremekramer said:
The guy that sold me my 02 said he had the battery replaced under warranty due to the leak it had. Didn't realize this was a common problem.
My 02 had the same problem there is still some visible damgae from that

·
Registered
120 Posts
RhythmsDJs said:
Ok guys, add any recalls you know about here, and any links to official documentation of the recall that you have.

I know about the ignition coil recall for the '03s, but I don't have details about it. If anyone can add more information, that would help.

:cheers
Just took my bike in for this problem. This was actually a service bulletin and they will fix it even if your bike is not under warranty anymore. My bike just hit 10,000 miles last week and broke down on me last night. Hopefully will have it back the end of next week.

coils/sparkplug caps were cooked on one side of the rubber. It was arching through the grommet.

The new coils that they replace them with are siliconed to prevent this from happening.

They will not just replace these, the bike has to fail first!

·
Registered
6 Posts
hottpinkbike said:
Just took my bike in for this problem. This was actually a service bulletin and they will fix it even if your bike is not under warranty anymore. My bike just hit 10,000 miles last week and broke down on me last night. Hopefully will have it back the end of next week.

coils/sparkplug caps were cooked on one side of the rubber. It was arching through the grommet.

The new coils that they replace them with are siliconed to prevent this from happening.

They will not just replace these, the bike has to fail first!
I am a tech at a Yamaha Dealership and I just replaced the coils in my '03 under the recall, bulletin 090 I believe. My bike only has 3,000 miles and runs great. I decided to replace the coils anyway. I pulled out the coils and all four had signs of arching and two were actually starting to melt through the top rubber seal. The shops should replace them evening if no problems are present. If they don't just say it only misses every once in awhile.

·
Registered
48 Posts
can anyone give me a general idea of how to check my coils? I think my bike needs them replaced, its an r1 but im sure its basically the same...thanks for any help

~Jenna~

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Look in your manual for changing spark plugs. Coils go over the plugs. Might as well change the plugs while your there too. Very easy to do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
sprocket recall

For 1999? to 2005 r6s have a code 090 recall on the front sprocket. They are coming loose. The 090 code just means that it will get replaced for free only if a problem is found, just like the coils. Doesn't make any sense though because once the front sprocket come loose you are screwed.

As for the coil inspections, you access the plug from under the tank and airbok. The easiest way on the new R1s is to actually to remove the fairings, loosen the radiator and move it forward slightly. A '03 r1 should be just like an r6, but check the manual.

·
Registered
17 Posts
2006 R6 (YZFR6SPV) Safety Recall Notice # RJ12E 0003580 :

Air Filter mounting screws loose.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same woes I see

yzmoto said:
I am a tech at a Yamaha Dealership and I just replaced the coils in my '03 under the recall, bulletin 090 I believe. My bike only has 3,000 miles and runs great. I decided to replace the coils anyway. I pulled out the coils and all four had signs of arching and two were actually starting to melt through the top rubber seal. The shops should replace them evening if no problems are present. If they don't just say it only misses every once in awhile.
Hey guys, I just joined this forum after googling 03 r6 spark plug cap arching as mine has just started doing the same thing. I am the second owner. The bike has only done about 14 000 kms and the few services have been performed by Yamaha dealers. It is apparently going to cost in excess of AUD$440 to replace the caps. Is this covered by Yamaha/warranty and does this quoted price sound about right?
By the way, has anyone done the new pipe, air filter, power commander with dynotune mod? Is there much difference in performance? Cheers:cheers

·
mmm mmm good...
6,958 Posts
^ it will be free.....code 090 recall means they will be replaced at no charge in the case of failure. if they try to tell you any different, punch them in the face.

yes....a dynotune does wonders.

·
All red all the time...
3,489 Posts
Can anyone tell me what the symptoms of the coil failing are? And does this recall include 05 models?
My bike started dying on me randomly. One minute your on the throttle, next thing you know....pppffft...dead.

·
mmm mmm good...
6,958 Posts
only 03....you have the mitsu coils....the densos are culprits.

not sayin your coils aren't bad, but you wont get it under warranty. if ya wanna check, pull the coils and you'll see the burn marks. all 4 of mine were fried, but i still had decent power (think voltage divider rules).

·
getting low
43 Posts
my bike seems like it dies when i get on the throttle hard but then clears up after thie bike gets moving....almost like on a carbuated vehichle that gets loaded up and then clears out...think this could be the coils? it is an 03 r6

1 - 20 of 33 Posts