Sport Bikes banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
FZ6 Corner Carver
12,159 Posts
sounds good just let me know... shoot me a pm... this weekend is shot ill be at tally gp trackday... but let me know next week and i should be able to get some free time...

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
I did the R6 shock mod because I didn't realize the R1 mod was available at the time! I did this about a year ago or more.

I might be thinking about switching to the R1 shock in the near future.

·
Saratogian
3,627 Posts

·
FZ6 Corner Carver
12,159 Posts
so did you ever get the R1 shock mounted up and the fitment correct...? if so hows it perform...?

·
SuperBike Champion
2,446 Posts
Is the R1 shock better than the R6 shock and easier to fit?

·
R6S Crash Cushion
1,392 Posts

Ohlins 46HRC Rear Shock for me. I haven't really had a chance to ride the bike yet but almost anything is gonna be better than the OEM shock. It was too soft for 235lbs and not enough feedback when set to higher preload settings.

·
Saratogian
3,627 Posts
Is it as difficult as the R6 shock?
How is the R1 shock better than the R6 shock? And is it easier to install?
Maybe if you keep asking questions that have already been answered in several places you'll finally get your answer right where you want it...maybe not.

HINT...look at post #63...and#58...and many others in this and other threads.

*hungover and grumpy today* :D

·
Registered
445 Posts
So how hard is it to put the R1 shock in place on the 07 swingarm? I'm about 250Lbs and my lady is about 120 lbs so would you say this shock would be better for me then stock?

·
R6S Crash Cushion
1,392 Posts
Defy's conclusion was that the spring needs to be changed to a stiffer one (even for his ~165lb frame) but he doesn't know what the results will be (sufficient for track; that was he purpose). He went the Ohlins 46HRC route instead. The damping rates differ greatly between our shock and the R1's linkage style shock. IIRC, to get a new, stiffer spring will cost you ~$40 on top of the R1 shock. But, for street use, it could be a sufficient improvement to prove worthwhile.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
no. the springs are WAY too weak on an r1 shock. you will spend $300 + the shock to have it rebuilt to come remotely close to working properly.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Ouch... Well I guess there will be no really cheap way of making the FZ6 hold a little more weight better??

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Who knows

Ouch... Well I guess there will be no really cheap way of making the FZ6 hold a little more weight better??
I don't think that there is a good cheap solution at the moment. I'm looking for additional performance and weight capacity (as I'm just under 200lbs without gear).

Definitely not cheap, but here's something that I never saw before:
Yamaha R6S Rear Air Suspension Kit Yamaha® Motorcycles Arnott Air Suspension Systems

I had hope for the R1 shock mod, but the wrong spring, linkage/no-linkage thing threw a wrench into the works. I'd still like to find an OEM solution, even if it's from a different manufacturer.

Along the lines of looking at different OEMs, I was wondering if other Ohlins would fit the FZ6. They use the same part number coding for different motorcycles, so by doing a cross-reference search on the S46HR1C1L, it appears that the shock from the 98-99 Honda CBR900RR is reallllllly close to our bikes.

Look at the specs between the two:

The FZ6:
Wim Kroon Import - Öhlins S46HR1C1L Shock absorber Yamaha FZ6
Ohlins S46HR1C1L
Features:
S - Single tube
H - Hose mounted reservoir
R1 - Adjustable rebound damping
C1 - Adjustable compression damping
L - Adjustable length
Mechanical spring preload
Part number: OHYA 543
Year: 2004-05
Position: rear
Length: 305 +11.5/-0.5 mm
Stroke: 58.5 mm
The 98-99 CBR900RR
Wim Kroon Import - S46HR1C1L Shock absorber Honda CBR 900 RR
S46HR1C1L
Shock absorber Honda CBR 900 RR
[S46HR1C1L]
Features:
S - Single tube
H - Hose mounted reservoir
R1 - Adjustable rebound damping
C1 - Adjustable compression damping
L - Adjustable length
Mechanical spring preload
Part number: OHHO 802
Position: rear
Unit: pcs
Length: 303 +12/-0 mm
Stroke: 57 mm
Year: 1998-99
I wonder if a stock 98-99 CBR900RR shock would fit our bike?
CBR900RR shock search on eBay!

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
CBR shock is too big to fit into the swingarm slot. i know for a fact. with the after market the best option is an r6 shock. its not long enough stock but it has a stronger native spring. so aftermarket shocks usually have a ride height adjustment that can get it to the proper length. (they're either 6 or 10mm too short).
thats for a 2003-2004 shock. what this particular unit allows for is too put a heavier spring on it and still have enough internal valving to work with say a 150lb b***** spring.
a 98-03 r1 shock body is the perfect fit but has a weaker native spring so it may be more likely to need re-valved.
only yamaha shocks will work. the others are just too far apart even if you found something that bolts up well.

so if you're wanting to go aftermarket;

1. *2003-2004 r6 with ride height adjustment + proper spring i.e. 700-800lb for most people.
2. 1998-2003 R1 shock + spring and probably a re-valve job.

*if you find an different year you can contact the mfg and get the specs to compare with the oem fz6. just remember shorter overall length will flatten the wheelbase out and make the bike less nimble.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
trying to crush my dreams....

CBR shock is too big to fit into the swingarm slot. i know for a fact. with the after market the best option is an r6 shock. its not long enough stock but it has a stronger native spring. so aftermarket shocks usually have a ride height adjustment that can get it to the proper length. (they're either 6 or 10mm too short).
thats for a 2003-2004 shock. what this particular unit allows for is too put a heavier spring on it and still have enough internal valving to work with say a 150lb b***** spring.
a 98-03 r1 shock body is the perfect fit but has a weaker native spring so it may be more likely to need re-valved.
only yamaha shocks will work. the others are just too far apart even if you found something that bolts up well.

so if you're wanting to go aftermarket;

1. *2003-2004 r6 with ride height adjustment + proper spring i.e. 700-800lb for most people.
2. 1998-2003 R1 shock + spring and probably a re-valve job.

*if you find an different year you can contact the mfg and get the specs to compare with the oem fz6. just remember shorter overall length will flatten the wheelbase out and make the bike less nimble.

You guys are just trying to crush my dreams, aren't you? :)

I want a CHEAP shock solution, which basically means I have to buy a used OEM shock. If the Honda lower mounting piece to too big (and can't be shaved down?) then there probably isn't anything OEM that will match. :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
pulling this relic back up. Racetech lists the R6 spring @ 17.6 kg/mm and the fz6 spring @ 12.5. The recommendation for my weight is 13.25. Is this an Error on the R6 spring rate? I know the R1 is less than 9. I would have to assume the spring is to heavy based on these numbers but everyone's experience says otherwise.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts