Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I was prepping my 2002 for my last track day and drove it to the gas station to fill up. I noticed a loud rattle coming from the right side of my bike while accelerating/reving above 6k. It goes away while decelerating until about 4-6k when it rattles briefly again.

The bike seems to accelerate normally

I thought it was the exhaust at first, but after retightening it the noise was still there.

I installed a new cam chain tensioner at the advice of many, but its still making the noise.

I recently had my valves adjusted, and did a track day without any problems. Then this problem started. I did run out of gas on my last session on that track day, could that have anything to do with it? Or could the valves be not adjusted correctly and be hitting something?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
If yer valves were hitting anything you would have come to a crunching stop by now . What type of tensioner did you fit ? Manual or automatic ? Can you get the rattle to happen with the bike sitting stationary with you standing next to it listening and looking while someone else does the revving ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If yer valves were hitting anything you would have come to a crunching stop by now . What type of tensioner did you fit ? Manual or automatic ? Can you get the rattle to happen with the bike sitting stationary with you standing next to it listening and looking while someone else does the revving ?
I replaced it with the OEM automatic tensioner.

I can indeed recreate the rattle while the bike is standing still. It does seem louder when its under load though.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Under load its louder .. that makes it less likley in my opinion to be the chain and or timing gear . Can you locate what end or roughly where the rattle eminates from . Take a long screwdriver put it against your ear then use it like a stethascope to listen to particular parts of the bike . Try and get that noises locallity chased down .

1 - 4 of 4 Posts