Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 01 R6. I absolutely love it, but I want it faster. All thats done to it now is a V&H full exhaust. I have a front sprocket in the garage, but most people seem to be against them. What should I do?

I'm used to working on cars, but bikes I'm still scared of. It's time to bite the bullet and start working on it, I can't be a newb forever.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Buy an owners manual. If you can work on cars, bikes should be no problem for you.

Very sweet you have a full exhaust. That will help the power when you add a jet kit to the carbs. Slip-on exhaust usually will decrease power even compared to the stock canister. The jet kit will help with power and hopefully smooth it out too. I think the most horsepower I've seen out of an 01-02 R6 with full-system and jet kit was around 118. Don't be surprised if you're well below that. My 01 R6 that I sold only max out at 98 horses. :(

Sprockets are a cheap way to add top end or low end. Pick which one because sprocket sizes will only change one or the other. So which would you rather have more? Low end take off or higher top speed? Also remember when changing your gearing that this will effect your speedometer giving you false speed readings. There are calibrators (sp) that can fix that problem for around $100 if you choose to.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
You want to get more out of the bike? Do a track day. Nothing will make the bike faster than a better rider. I say that because I have passed many 600's and 1000's with all kinds of performance crap while riding my bone stock R6.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Squid Killer is correct. Best money spent is on a trackday.

·
Professional Loser
319 Posts
a 520 conversion will probably be the best bang for the buck. Listen to squid killer though, rider skills are still the most important part of being able to go fast.

·
Registered
9 Posts
your probably going to have to jet the carbs if you have a full system I did they had to be tuned. take my advice and don't but dyno jet kit in I am still having problems with it I have it on the leanest setting and its still running rich I had to put a flow commander on it to help tune it better and I still am unable to get all teh stumble at 8,000 rpms out

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
you might also consider adding some braided brakelines.

·
Professional Loser
319 Posts
Yo Killer that question was asked about 2 years ago. But yeah, a 520 conversion will give you lighter sprokets and chain. That alone improves your acceleration, but the regearing is probably more noticeable. You get to play with your torque/horsepower ratio (at the wheel) since they are related by your gearing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I reccomend a trackday first, as said before. it'll help hone your skills, as well as how you apply them to your bike at its current suspension settings. It's also a great baseline for the FEEL of the bike, before you start messing with those settings. I have jetted my '02, which i like the added smoothness out of the carbs as much as the added power. I just did a 520 conv and love it. I went from stock (16-48) to 15-49, and it has more than PLENTY of getup. It is lighter, agian said before. If you dont need a bunch more acceleration then its already fast stock sprockets, go 15-48. Still plenty acceleration added. And come on guys, with our 6's '00 and up, who -NEEDS- more top end. Not to say I havn't topped it out.... ; )

·
Registered
112 Posts
to the guy who tried to thread jack this: 06 R6 lowering links can be found at www.tobefast.com

to the original thread starter: squid killer is correct. i went -2 up front on my ninja 500 to get better acceleration, but i also lost top end speed...not like i was bringing a ninja 500 to 150MPH anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just dynode my R6 with a full exhaust and power commander, about 109 for horsepower. Got it up to 158 so guessing it’ll hit 160 on a good one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts