Sport Bikes banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious as to whether anyone's ever thrown a set of r6 headers onto the fz6. The stock exhaust on an 08 has two catalytics, restricting flow and creating way too much heat. I know arrow makes a cat replacement pipe, which I'll be picking up for next season, but no one is making a set of headers. Since the basic block is the same, a set of r6 pipes should match up, and with minimal modding be made to fit to the fz6 while maintaining the stock undertails, right?

With this assumption, any ideas on which header would best mate to the fz? I've got no problem doing alittle bit of custom fabbing, but would like to minimize my welding

Suggestions on headers? I've got a set of 2 bros slips at the moment. I figure Arrow Midpipe, maybe arrow (03-04 r6) headers or even two bros?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm pretty sure the 04-06 headers don't have the cats in them, so why not just find a set of those?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was curious as to whether anyone's ever thrown a set of r6 headers onto the fz6. The stock exhaust on an 08 has two catalytics, restricting flow and creating way too much heat. I know arrow makes a cat replacement pipe, which I'll be picking up for next season, but no one is making a set of headers. Since the basic block is the same, a set of r6 pipes should match up, and with minimal modding be made to fit to the fz6 while maintaining the stock undertails, right?

With this assumption, any ideas on which header would best mate to the fz? I've got no problem doing alittle bit of custom fabbing, but would like to minimize my welding

Suggestions on headers? I've got a set of 2 bros slips at the moment. I figure Arrow Midpipe, maybe arrow (03-04 r6) headers or even two bros?
yes you can i got a full stock exhaust from an 05 r6 and it fits perfectly and the power is night and day better top end if you look at my avater you can see that i had it on there. im puttin them on my drag bike tho cuz obv i want the best top end for that

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes you can i got a full stock exhaust from an 05 r6 and it fits perfectly and the power is night and day better top end if you look at my avater you can see that i had it on there. im puttin them on my drag bike tho cuz obv i want the best top end for that
any chance you had any images of how the exhaust travels under the belly? I'ld hope to retain the fz6 exhaust positioning...I love undertails

·
TD Survivor
944 Posts
just curious. by putting the r6 headers on, how did it give you more top-end? Im assuming it was from the can not just the header.

·
Registered
69 Posts
any chance you had any images of how the exhaust travels under the belly? I'ld hope to retain the fz6 exhaust positioning...I love undertails
It exits out the side like an r6 so you have to do something with the big hole under neath or like i did was take the stock tail piecs of and made an undertail to make it look clean look at my avatar

·
Registered
69 Posts
just curious. by putting the r6 headers on, how did it give you more top-end? Im assuming it was from the can not just the header.
the r6 header piping is alot b***** all the way through so it flows better.
The r6 is was made for all top end so the header was designed for that as well plus i didnt loose power anywhere, its been a while since i rode it with them on but im pretty sure it was a big power increase all around

·
Registered
183 Posts
motoxxxer1234; let me get this straight. The 05 R6 header and full exhaust just bolted up to your Fz6? A couple questions if I'm understanding this correctly.
I have a damaged 07 Fz6s that needs a new header. The dents are too big to pull out cleanly and so I've been looking around and nobody is selling. My options are really pushing me towards dealer purchases for over $600. Not what I had in mind and I personally hate the stock sound of the exhaust but am not about to spend over $1200 total on an exhaust!!!
Will the earlier Fz6 04-06 year exhausts bolt up to my 07 but more importantly, what year R6 exhaust/headers will bolt up?
Last question I promise; Is it possible to use the R6 header with the 07 Fz6 muffler system? I'll try and do my own research but I figured if you could answer those questions I wouldn't waste much time looking.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
03-05 r6 and the R6S engine is the same basically to the fz6, so they should mount header wise without fail. The problem lies with the stock silencer system. You'ld need to weld and cut to get the r6 header and mid-pipe to run in a way that will allow for the undertail

·
Registered
183 Posts
03-05 r6 and the R6S engine is the same basically to the fz6, so they should mount header wise without fail. The problem lies with the stock silencer system. You'ld need to weld and cut to get the r6 header and mid-pipe to run in a way that will allow for the undertail
So you're not sure, but confident that they will bolt up. I can understand the bolt pattern but what about the angle of the engine mounted in the frame. The same? Then there's the tri-y design vs the classic 4 into 1. Oh yeah, and the cylinder 2-3 cross-over tube on the Fz6... tuning differences?
Seems like a lot of things are different :)
I'd really appreciate a reply from somebody that's done it or has seen it. The cutting and welding of post header collector isn't of concern SO LONG AS the header's collector is centered under the bike. I don't want to go to a side muffler (my butt stays warm with stock).

·
Registered
69 Posts
the head to all fz6 and all rs-s and all r6 before 06 are all the same so i can tell you that any header from any of those bikes fit right up the only thing is that it touches on one spot on the oil pan but i solved that problem with a piece of header wrapp inbetween and no problems at all!! trust me its worth everything in the power gains you get, but for most people they wont want to do it since you will have to either deal with an empty hole under your seat or fab your own under tail

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
lol why havnt you posted this before?! I know there are a couple random parts that are interchangeable. such as the head gasket which is apparently thinner on the r6 and provides higher compression ratio. Know one ever tried that i know of though

·
Registered
313 Posts
such as the head gasket which is apparently thinner on the r6 and provides higher compression ratio
Really? Has this been confirmed that's interesting...
I know both the R6 (04-05) and R6S use the exact same crankshaft and pistons as the FZ6... so the stoke should be the same length so no danger of the pistons smacking against the valves or anything with a thinner head gasket. - Confirmed both have a 65.5 x 44.5mm bore and stroke

1 - 15 of 15 Posts