Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took the D&D exhaust pipe and headers off and put the stock ones back on. The D&D system came on the bike when I bought it a few months ago. It is a nice sounding system, however on longer rides it is quite anoying since that is all you can hear. I am looking for a pipe that will be better sounding (more importantly better performing) then the stock but not as loud as the D&D. I haven't rejetted the bike back to stock yet (stage 1 K&N jet kit came on the bike), and would prefer to add a slip on or find another pipe that will work with the D&D headers then pull the carbs appart and rejet the bike. Guess I will see how long it takes to foul out the plugs until I find another pipe.

I found the thread with sound clips on it but as some one else mentioned they pretty much all sounded the same. I just don't want a sound that is over powering as the D&D. It just screams ticket me please. I guess the best way would be db based...however I haven't had much luck finding the actual numbers for different cans.

I am probably beating a dead horse over this issue since it is common...however I don't want to buy another pipe just find it is just as loud as the full system I already own.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I think your problem isn't necessarily the pipe, but more likely the header's themselves. All my friend's (including me) have aftermarket pipes (varying brands) on their bikes and none of them have an overwhelming sound. One friend does have the complete system (including headers) and it's beyond loud. When we are all riding together it sounds like the guy is breathing right down on your ass but he's actually a quarter mile back.

Having a streetbike that loud is just asking for a ticket. If you don't mind frequent run-ins with the law then keep the headers. Otherwise get rid of the headers and just go with a slip-on.

·
Registered
533 Posts
keep the stock header and put any slip-on on it other than D&D and it will be quieter. I like the sound of Two Bros. and Micron, both are still pretty loud but not the same level as D&D. Akrapovic sounds nice too.

You could also keep the D&D header and have a muffler shop put on another type of muffler which you would probably still be OK with your jetting. If you go with the stock header you will probably have to mess w/ the jetting.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, Every one has told me they can hear me before I enter a sub division when I am still out on the main road many blocks from my destination. Thanks for the recomendations. Some one recomended Jardine and Graves while I was out at lunch. Any one know how these compair? My understanding is that D&D has the loudest pipes out there...If thats really the case I guess I am better off with just about anything else.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I had an akra. pipe on my R6 and it was not too loud, and my friend has a Yosh. pipe that's not to loud either.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yep, Akrapovic slip-on here (no headers) and it has a good sound. All my friends with Yosh's have complimented me on the sound. Guy with a D&D down at the shop today and that thing was annoying.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I got a Vance + Hines slip-on.. Sounds nice at higher RPMs but down low sounds like a civic fart can :(

I'm thinking of getting a hindle pipe, my ears liked what they heard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts