Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So lately I have been looking into possibly getting a liter bike and I'm stuck between an R1 and a Zx-10r. If I do get one it will be a 2012 or a 13. I would like to know the fellow owners feedback on these models. How are they on power delivery? handling? Stock ergos? Brakes? What's the point of ABS? Is it worth the extra cash? R1 owners, does the front feel too wide when your riding? I have done my research but all I have seen is reviews on these bikes. I would like to know hands on experience from fellow riders. I have tried to test ride these bikes but they aren't available around here. Thanks for looking and any comments.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
I'd wait for the new designed triple R1 (the R1 is going to be triple too, right?) to come out and see how that fairs versus the awesomse ZX-10 that is out now.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
What will the bike be used for? Weekend fun, commuting, track, twisties,etc?

For me I would be going for the R1 simply because i hear great things about the Crossplane and the powerband, and the amazing sound. While intrigued by the Triple R1, I don't know if I would want to gamble on a first year model new concept bike. The only thing that comes to my mind is "recalls".

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What will the bike be used for? Weekend fun, commuting, track, twisties,etc?

For me I would be going for the R1 simply because i hear great things about the Crossplane and the powerband, and the amazing sound. While intrigued by the Triple R1, I don't know if I would want to gamble on a first year model new concept bike. The only thing that comes to my mind is "recalls".
Some commuting, weekend fun and twisties. I have an R6 now but I will most likely be "tracking only" this bike.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm just wondering because I don't know what ABS feels like on a bike. My current bike doesn't have that feature and I feel just fine braking (even under extreme pressure) but then again a 1000cc is a complete different story.

I would get ABS just to be safe. I know a lot of people say they do not need it, they never lock up their brakes, blah blah. It is a nice fail safe to have when shit hits the fan because we are not professionals and do not have god like reflexes nor are our bikes insanely tuned just for us.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
The R1 gets beaten up pretty badly in the magazine shootouts. The ZX-10 and the beemer seem to be the favorites there.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
ZX10r. Electronic steering damper, simple ECU reflash for even more power (no need to do PC3 really), full Ti headers, get the Ohlins Mechatronic shock on the rear. It has been given loads of praise in the bike mags.

Electronics allow you to control the power under various conditions.

·
Registered
743 Posts
R1 needs a flash to live up to its potential. AFAIK the factory programming keeps it from allowing you to having access to WOT under most circumstances. It is a sexy sounding bike though lol.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I would think that the R1 would have more street friendly engine manners and that the ZX10 would be better at the race track. But then, since you're not going to track it anyway, whichever one fits you better would be the answer.

·
Registered
272 Posts
From what the magazine tests say, the R1 is a sub-par bike for the street and is more track oriented. The ZX-10R is a great street bike and even better track bike. The only thing questionable about the Kawi is the low end power....or lack thereof. But the Yami has the same problem so that point is moot in this case. Honda is pretty much the only one with decent low end, but it lacks the top end grunt of the other 3.

So, my choice is the ZX-10R!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have no experience with the new ZX-10 but I have ridden the new R1. The engine is amazing. Tons of power down low and sounds like nothing else out there. I would not personally own one because the ergonomics are awful. The seat slopes forward so much it puts a lot of weight on your wrists and you are constantly pushing yourself back up off the gas tank. Also with the stock exhaust the heat that come off onto you legs and butt is pretty bad. The bike also feels very large because of the width. Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I sat on both at an AMA event last season and I loved how the Zx-10r felt. Stock ergo were pretty close to the r6. Tank felt slim and moving it around it felt lightweight.The r1 felt a little lower and the front end felt wide, it also felt heavier. The weird thing is the specs says the r1 sits higher and that the ergos are more aggressive but i felt it was the opposite.The engine has a great tune to it as well.I wish I could test ride them. I just don't want to end up spending 14k+ for a bike that I don't like how it feels on the move

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
the beauty of a yamaha is they built in a diagnostic test system in the computer you can use via the instrument cluster. allowing you to test all of the electronic systems of the bike along with showing you the fault codes. hell you don't even need a multi meter to test the battery.

I believe yamaha is the only company that does this. they've been doing it since 2003.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
What does ABS do? It saves your life.
Agree.

I have it for the first time on a bike on my R1200ST. To try it, I was doing 40-45 on a straight, dry, clean, level road and I stood on the rear brake pedal like I was squashing a bug just to see what happened. The result? Three chirps and the bike just stopped. No drama. BMW knows their shit.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Ride both and decide. Not all dealers let you test ride. If one doesn't and the other does, guess which one deserves your business?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts