Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been a pack a day smoker for 9 years. I went for a ride earlier and found myself riding like shit. I stalled once and almost dropped it at a light. I've been generally light headed and out of it all day. I swear they are putting trace amounts of crack in those damn things. How many of you have quit, and what worked for you?

·
Super Moderator
4,658 Posts
I don't smoke, wish my mom hadn't. Good luck and stay strong.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
CONGRATS!!!! you will feel that way for about a good 3 days till most of the crap gets out of your system. I did it cold turkey. Just got sick of it one day, and that was it. Seems like alot of ppl do it that way. If you feel like your having a nic fit, just down really cold water.. Might give ya brain freeze, but it works. Always does for me. And also, if you can, try to sleep alot. you usualy dont have nic fits while you sleep, so try just to relax..

Another thing is, make sure you get rid of all your ashtrays, and clean all your clothes and anything that you might of touched when you were smoking. Even tho you might not have smoked in your house, your clothes will smell like it. And when you want a cig that bad, you'll think about rolling up your clothes like a fatty and smoking um. :lol Also, if you ever smoked in your car, CLEAN IT! even the windsheild. You have no idea how a car traps the smell of smoke.

Good luck, I'm behind ya 110%!!!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'm so glad I never got started on that .....But I wish you the best of luck!!!!! And I hope you can do it!!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
You can do it if you really want to. I quit smoking February 23rd last year (birthday), I was also on a pack a day by then. I was feeling a bit depressed and wanted to prove to myself I had willpower enough to break my nicotine addiction and improve my health. I even kept my last pack on my desk in some sort of defiance. I finally tossed it out the window about 5 months later :lol. Today I can't stand the smell of cigarettes. On a club I was asked recently to light a cigarette (not just offer light, but actually get one burning) and it tasted like sh*t! Made me think geez, I'm a non-smoker now, not a smoker trying to quit :) Be strong - you don't need that crap

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Cooksey said:
Thanks for the tips and support. I really want to do it this time, I need to get my ass back in shape. I start at the gym tomorrow.

They say that the average smoker will fail to quit at least 10 times before they really do it for good..

GOOD LUCK!!!! You can do it!!!

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I quit cold turkey. You just have to occupy yourself with something other than smoking.

·
retired from here
4,122 Posts
i was at 2 packs a day and had been smoking for almost 30 years. i went cold turkey labor day weekend last year and have not wanted one since. the important thing is that you have to WANT to stop other wise you never will. anything other that the total desire to stop will result in less than satisfactory results. i have been there and done that as well as see others fail because they were not committed to stopping. good luck.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I wish I could quit, but being in Korea I drink too often and that's where I fall off the wagon. I pretty much don't even smoke during the day, but when I get to drinking it seems mandatory.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Congrats, and good luck. Hell, I had a two week long withdrawl from caffiene..... I'd hate to feel what quitting smoking is like.

·
Registered
905 Posts
congrats. i quit cold turkey on jan 1 2002. it was a new years resolution that actually stuck. i smoked a pack a day, and i havent had one since. it took about two days of being freaked out, and then it was no big deal. chew gum (the regular kind) to get the nervousness dealt with. part of the problem is that smoking also relieves bordeom, so find something to occupy your time with. you said youre starting at a gym, thats great. theres not much better motivation to physically improve yourself than realizing you are an out of shape weakling. the gym will humble you, and smoking doesnt help that. if you fail, its not the end of the world. just try again. stay strong and get healthy. i did, and i feel better than ever. good luck and im pulling for you.

·
Registered
765 Posts
SpeedJunky said:
I wish I could quit, but being in Korea I drink too often and that's where I fall off the wagon. I pretty much don't even smoke during the day, but when I get to drinking it seems mandatory.
So quit drinking too. Kicking both habits will greatly improve your 'quality of life'. :)

·
Registered
590 Posts
Baldman said:
So quit drinking too. Kicking both habits will greatly improve your 'quality of life'. :)
Heh.... I quit drinking to help lose weight. I'm down 60lbs since I quit.... not that drinking had 'that' much to do with it, but it sure seemed to help.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
I quit at 2 packs a day after smoking 10 years.
Cold Turkey is the only way. You cannot just cut down, you have to stop and never look back.
The only downfall is I got sick several times in that following year, once with Pneumonia and I think it had to do with my lungs being weak from all the smoking and slowly healing. It was the smartest thing I ever did in my life.

Good luck man!!!

·
old member
13,079 Posts
You may be beyond this by now, but the patches worked for me. That was 9 years ago. As was said, you have to absolutely never have another cigarette. Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances on earth. More so than crack. Smoking "stimulates" so many senses (taste, smell, touch, sight) that you have to find ways to combat all of them.

Keep at it one day (or even hour) at a time. It gets MUCH easier after about 3 days.

·
Registered
346 Posts
i've quit a few times. longest i ever went was a month then i started back up again. i'm just tired of spending all this cash on something so useless. i'm trying again, finished the pack last night and decided no more. but im kind of worried cause i go back to school in three weeks and college=drinking=smoking. one thing i've found that helps, and i know it is sort of cheating, but that is dipping. do it like 2-3 times a day and then cut back to slowly ween yourself off the nicotine until you no longer crave it. this worked for me in the past.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I've smoked a pack a day or so for the last 2 years.. I've gotta quit now cause I'm going to bootcamp on Sunday (no tobbacco allowed for 13 weeks)..

I'm on day one right now. Although I've said that 4 times so far, and then people would offer one to me and blam, I'd go get myself another pack. So no more this time.. I want to get over the lightheadedness and stuff before I'm getting yelled at by a bunch of DI's. Oh mang I need a cigg :(

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Doing pretty good today, I smoked half of an ultra-light something. Man it tasted like shit. The jitters are mostly gone and I'm feeling good. It's been easier because my co-worker quit and my GF is cutting down too. Hang in there Matt, It's already getting easier! Thanks for the support everyone!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts