Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
what's up bitches
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so im looking at a 1994 kawa ninja 600 with 15,000 miles. he said its in runnning condition and all, fairings are all there, everything. I would just need a new gas tank cause it has a dent in it. Has a vance and hince pipe.

He said he has no paperwork for it at all which immediately i thought "stolen". But he said there's no trace of the bike for 5 years, which makes it exempt from the DMV .. so all i have to do is take the bike to the dmv cause the regstration's been so long and i can get it registered. The thing that catches me is.... its low mileage, not crashed, and it's only for $600. He got it from his coworkers son and he wanted to put the motor into the golf cart but said no time. respond please.. concerned about the title and paperwork issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Superstuddc27 said:
Okay so im looking at a 1994 kawa ninja 600 with 15,000 miles. he said its in runnning condition and all, fairings are all there, everything. I would just need a new gas tank cause it has a dent in it. Has a vance and hince pipe.

He said he has no paperwork for it at all which immediately i thought "stolen". But he said there's no trace of the bike for 5 years, which makes it exempt from the DMV .. so all i have to do is take the bike to the dmv cause the regstration's been so long and i can get it registered. The thing that catches me is.... its low mileage, not crashed, and it's only for $600. He got it from his coworkers son and he wanted to put the motor into the golf cart but said no time. respond please.. concerned about the title and paperwork issue.

Get the VIN and have it checked for "Wants & Warrants". If the vehicle information comes back "No Record" or "Clear" you are good. If it comes back "10-35" or with "Hits" you'll know your answer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
good chance it's stolen. If it really had no traces for 5 years it should have an abandoned title. Never buy a bike from someone who doesn't legally own it.
 

·
what's up bitches
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay i spoke to him and he said that the guy went into the military and was hitting for like 3-4 years. His brother rode it for a while but it was just left there. So it wasn't running but he cleaned out the carbs and now he says it runs. He gave me the VIN so i'll call the police department or dmv and get it checked.


So if the vin is clear, what do i do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,721 Posts
buy it, if thr vins clear
 

·
what's up bitches
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok vin# has no record in the dmv. They clear their records every 4 years so... the guy said he got it from somone that went off into military blah blha. hm interesting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Superstuddc27 said:
okay i spoke to him and he said that the guy went into the military and was hitting for like 3-4 years. His brother rode it for a while but it was just left there. So it wasn't running but he cleaned out the carbs and now he says it runs. He gave me the VIN so i'll call the police department or dmv and get it checked.


So if the vin is clear, what do i do?
If the vehicle/title is "clear" then you will need to take it either to the CHP or the DMV to have it inspected. Once cleared for registry after inspection, it will be good to roll!

Best Wishes

EDIT - The ride will need to be mechanically sound for inspection. Not perfect, yet not unsafe to operate according to the vehicle code
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,721 Posts
Superstuddc27 said:
ok vin# has no record in the dmv. They clear their records every 4 years so... the guy said he got it from somone that went off into military blah blha. hm interesting.

buy it to stunt or take to the track, but dont even bother trying to get it road legal.
 

·
what's up bitches
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
blah. Okay here's the deal. The guy got it from another coworker or something but they didn't do a Bill of Sale. Well he doesn't even care cause he was gonna tear it apart anyway for a motor swap on a golf cart. DMV says that if it's valued under $1k, which it is.. i can bring in the bike, bring in a bill of sale with my name on it, and also have a statement of facts where it describes where HE got the bike. THey send that into sacramento and I'm basically reapplying for a duplicate title. The thing is.. i dont know if im guarenteed this. I dont want to be stuck with a bike and no title
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,721 Posts
too much risk man, i wouldnt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
For $600, you really can't go wrong. If nothing else, use it for parts. Not just parts for another '94, but stuff you can use on other projects. Lot's of things will work together, especially with a little modification...
 

·
King of Oilernation
Joined
·
1,237 Posts
I agree, for $600 bucks how can you go wrong? Who cares about a title. Ride the shit out of it and then scrap it. You'll never get another deal like that again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,890 Posts
Does it have Cali plates??? In Cali you will get F%$# on back reg fees unless it was NON oped with the DMV & you have paperwork that says it
Not telling you how to do bit you need a bill of sale from the last reg owner
or application for lost title
 

·
what's up bitches
Joined
·
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^ no plates, no registration, no title... nada! i decided against it. :) Oh well.. damn more people need to list bikes.
 

·
TowTrucks Suck!!!
Joined
·
159 Posts
Superstuddc27 said:
^ no plates, no registration, no title... nada! i decided against it. :) Oh well.. damn more people need to list bikes.
give me the guys number, ill buy that thing and part it out on ebay and make close to two grand, or just sell it whole and make more. Some times deals like this, can be worked in your favor. Even with no title you can sell those parts on ebay and make triple what you paid. MY life has been ALOT easier since i started thinking liek an entrepeneour in everything i do. I recently got a dirtbike for 400 bucks, no title, not stolen. I resold it with NO title for 1500. It was a 1990 yz 125. Theres a sucker born every minute and idiots will buy anything. Good example: just got done selling two broken nintendo 64s that my neighbor asked if i wanted to 125 bucks on ebay. Nuff said
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top