Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say I'm 15 years old about to take Drivers Ed. How long would it take it take to get up and start riding ? With taking MSF courses and all that.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Well, at 15 you don't have the road experience to be getting on a bike.. there are things that driver's ed and MSF can't teach you about the road and it's hazards. I personally think that you should have good 2 years of experience driving before getting a bike.

Now.. if you don't want my advise - you can take the msf at 16 (parent's permission), get your license and buy a bike. The MSF takes 3 days to complete - 1 day to go to DMV and get your license..

·
Registered
597 Posts
I would get experience in a car and then buy a dirtbike and play offroad. Once you have a couple years minimum driving a car then your road skills may be good enough to try getting a bike. At your age no matter what bike you get your insurance is going to be crazy high and probably the same for even a car.
Don't rush into it. Your first year of driving will be hard enough on four wheels.

If you are set on a bike then go for the ex250. Don't start on that CBR600 you have listed under your name.

·
Head Rooster
3,438 Posts
Some states don't allow motorcycle endorcements until 18 with an MSF and 21 without. You've still got a few years. Given you're in CA I'd ask DMV about it.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I must agree completely with ALL previous posts. NO JOKE - with no previous road experience you will wreck extremely quick. EXTREMELY QUICK. I'm not even saying it will be your fault. I've never caused an accident but i've avoided over 30 that would of been caused by other drivers.

In my eyes the most dangerous thing on the streets is everybody else. My 2nd day of riding i was cut in front of 2 times.... only reason i believe i was not clipped is because I instinctively knew they were about to cut in front of me. I just hope my skills stay sharp.

I've heard a lot of ppl say dirt bikes are completely different from street bikes. so buying one may be a waste of money, but it would be fun. :cheers

·
Registered
597 Posts
SnookayDCC said:
I've heard a lot of ppl say dirt bikes are completely different from street bikes. so buying one may be a waste of money, but it would be fun. :cheers

I agree, but it might help with the motorcycle cravings he gets.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info. Yeah, I'll wait for a couple years and gradual save up money. But I can't wait to start riding. Might as well get as much info now as I can so I'm atleast familiar with everything when I do start. Thanks.

- Chris

·
Registered
426 Posts
SnookayDCC said:
I must agree completely with ALL previous posts. NO JOKE - with no previous road experience you will wreck extremely quick. EXTREMELY QUICK. I'm not even saying it will be your fault. I've never caused an accident but i've avoided over 30 that would of been caused by other drivers.

In my eyes the most dangerous thing on the streets is everybody else. My 2nd day of riding i was cut in front of 2 times.... only reason i believe i was not clipped is because I instinctively knew they were about to cut in front of me. I just hope my skills stay sharp.
couldn't agree with you more...

I only had 2 years of driving before I bought my bike. Even then I was amazed at what some of those people in cars will do to you while your on a motorcycle. I couldn't say it enought that you have to ride like your invisible to everyone else. Cause give yourself a year of ridding and someone will pull out in front of you. You better be ready for it or your going to have a very bad day.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I agree with everyone else. 2 years minimum in a car.

Go buy a cheap dirtbike. That will probably satisfy your craving for a streetbike for a while. It will also teach you the basics of riding and the wonders of working on a bike. It will break and you will have to fix it, teaching you the basics that you need to maintian a streetbike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts