Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Fitshaced
1,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a 2001 F4i which I don't have the original owners manual. I was just wondering if someone could tell me what octane gas the manual asks for. It's bone stock and I've been running 93 but it smells like it's running rich so if it calls for lower octane I'm going to switch.

·
______ETA B4U______
1,990 Posts
I can't remember of the top of my head but I always but 93 in it. Octane wont affect how rich or lean it runs. If you’re worried about that get a PCIII. That is all that thing does really.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm pretty sure it says 87 is OK, but i ALWAYS use 93. No sense in running cheap gas in a high performance engine IMO.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I allways use 93 .. But then again I have a , PCIIIR and a Full Two Brothers Exhaust also . . . And it runs SWEET... :lol

·
Registered
107 Posts
All f4i's run a little rich at low speed. it leans out at higher speeds because of the ram air. PC3r will fix that. High octane can burn stock valves.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe i read in my manual not long back that it takes a min of 91 oct we don't have 91 octane around here so i use 93 w/ no problems BTW...mine is a 2001 f4i once again im not positive but i believe it said min. 91 octane

·
Registered
544 Posts
Honda recommends 87 octane for the F4i.

Higher octane gas does not "burn more efficiently" or "run better." Higher octane prevents knock (detonation, preignition); unless you have higher compression or are tuning the bike yourself, you probably aren't going to need higher octane. A stock F4i on 87 octane shouldn't be knocking (I don't think Honda's engineering is that bad). :)

Basically, using higher octane is just a waste of money and can actually reduce power since it burns slower (in order to prevent knock).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts