Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay guys I know you get this a lot but I have a quick scenario for you. I got my first bike last year which was a GS500F and I am selling it soon to upgrade next spring. I was planning on getting either a GSXR 600 or R6. Well I've found a great deal on a '08 CBR1000. I know it's a huge leap in performance but I can tell you(and if you read my name) I'm not out to do wheelies on the highway or go 190 into the City. My concern is... even with a level head will this 1k get me killed? Is the throttle so touchy that I will loose the rear wheel even when I'm not pushing the bike? Any insight will help. Thanks guys. Oh by the way the bike will mainly be used for commuting and some weekend fun.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
How many miles have you put on the 500? Have you been to the mountains? How many times?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Many 08's had ring issues and burned excessive oil, fyI

IMo, the last place I want to ride is cities and Highways, thats no place for my style of ride. Course, if your buying a Litre bike, with out intention of using the motor, then why buy it , other than for Posing and Good looks. For putting and level head, buy something more practical for street use.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Honestly, I doubt you're ready for a GSXR1000. I'm sure deals will come along a more appropriate bike. Just give it time or expand your search area.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
i have owned both at the same time a gsxr 600 and a gs500. there is a ton of difference. you dont need the 1000. like said above there will always be deals later on

ive been riding my 600 for 4 years now. i love it. i dont think i would ever get 1000

·
Registered
848 Posts
i don't think he would be ready for any 1K (OP looking at CBR1k. - OW!) nothing like having an "oh shit" moment, grabbing a handful of throttle, looping bike and smearing themselves all over the road.

sure, find a nice nos turbo equiped Busa.... even better. :)

OP - I'd wait til you have more time in the saddle before jumping THAT far up the chain.

like it's been said before..... there will ALWAYS be deals in the future. don't be in a rush.

·
Registered
272 Posts
For what it's worth, I bought my 954rr as my second bike. Coming from a GS400E, too. To say whether you're ready or not is impossible to tell. I take safety while riding very seriously, so if I'm going to have some fun with the bike, I choose my time and place very carefully. Even still, I haven't given the bike all it would do. If you are disciplined and patient enough to learn the bike at a slow rate without getting cocky, then you will do fine....but if you have any doubt, otherwise, save your loved one the grief, and don't get the bike. Believe me when I say this....a litre bike is exponentially faster than your GS500. Faster than you even realize. Which also means the chance of disaster is increased exponentially.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
For what it's worth, I bought my 954rr as my second bike. Coming from a GS400E, too. To say whether you're ready or not is impossible to tell. I take safety while riding very seriously, so if I'm going to have some fun with the bike, I choose my time and place very carefully. Even still, I haven't given the bike all it would do. If you are disciplined and patient enough to learn the bike at a slow rate without getting cocky, then you will do fine....but if you have any doubt, otherwise, save your loved one the grief, and don't get the bike. Believe me when I say this....a litre bike is exponentially faster than your GS500. Faster than you even realize. Which also means the chance of disaster is increased exponentially.
Just curious, how long have you had your 954?

·
NO LAG !!!
1,255 Posts
Sure the jump to a liter bike can be done but, no one wants to recommend it. My wife went from a 250R to 750 in the matter of 3 months. Would I recommend that? No but, it can be done. Things can go wrong quickly on a liter bike. Regardless, be safe on whatever you get. Any bike should be respected.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Honestly most of the people that tell you no don't have a 1k. You are on the starter bike now that most would recommend. If you got a 600 or 1k first then you would get told off in lots of ways and you would be that special snowflake as they put it. But you didn't do that and people still say no to the 1k.

Look I say if it is a good deal and you think your skills are good enough to move up the get the 1k. Honestly the throttle response is quicker on some 600s than it is on some 1ks. Sure there is more power but it is not like a hand full of throttle on a 600 won't loop it as well.

Buy the bike you want and just be aware of the fact that it will have more power and respond much different.... A bunch more touchy than that 500.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
I went from my Ninja 500 to, with mods, 140hp ZZR1200. That was...quite a jump. I really had to relearn maneuvering, given the weight and hp/tq differences in the bikes. That weight difference really isn't there for a GS500 to a CBR1000 like it is a ZZR1200, but a liter RR bike also screamed overkill to me. I got my ZZR because I thought I would be sport touring a shitload. (Wrong.) When I found out how wrong I was and when I got introduced to the track I sold it and got an SV. No regrets. (And I wouldn't have regrets having a 600RR instead of a 1000RR.)

Basically, it can be done. It can even be done safely and well, I've just not seen it done a lot. People tend to vibrate towards 600 RR bikes.

That said, there is something to be said about the kick in the ass rush of a high horsepower motorcycle that wants to tear your fucking arms out of their sockets when you throw the throttle back. :D

·
Registered
272 Posts
Another advantage of a litre bike is the torque. I hear a lot of people say that you have to rev the piss out of a 600 to have any power. I don't know if that's true or not, but I do know that I can easily cruise at 3500 rpm on my 954 and still have lots of power and response. I've heard the Honda litre bikes are more focused on mid range usable power rather than top end.

·
NO LAG !!!
1,255 Posts
Another advantage of a litre bike is the torque. I hear a lot of people say that you have to rev the piss out of a 600 to have any power. I don't know if that's true or not, but I do know that I can easily cruise at 3500 rpm on my 954 and still have lots of power and response. I've heard the Honda litre bikes are more focused on mid range usable power rather than top end.
:agree
You're right but, it's the torque that gets you in trouble. A 600 has 40-45 wtq and a 1000 has 70-80 wtq. You don't see the whp until the upper rev range, but that wtq is there at a much lower rpm. At 5k a liter bike starts to pull due to torque. I'm a liter bike man myself but, someone who hasn't ridden one should be told to watch out. To me the older model liter bikes have more torque at a lower rpm than the newer ones. Those are the ones to watch out for.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
One thing I would suggest is to go to a dealer near you and test ride a bike that is the closest to the bike you are thinking of buying. This way you will know a little better what your getting into.

·
Registered
848 Posts
That said, there is something to be said about the kick in the ass rush of a high horsepower motorcycle that wants to tear your fucking arms out of their sockets when you throw the throttle back. :D
no F'n lie! WOOOOOOOOT

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
:agree
You're right but, it's the torque that gets you in trouble. A 600 has 40-45 wtq and a 1000 has 70-80 wtq. You don't see the whp until the upper rev range, but that wtq is there at a much lower rpm. At 5k a liter bike starts to pull due to torque. I'm a liter bike man myself but, someone who hasn't ridden one should be told to watch out. To me the older model liter bikes have more torque at a lower rpm than the newer ones. Those are the ones to watch out for.
So that is what i used to always hear about the older zx-10R being a crazy monster of a liter bike.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts