Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Not Mechanically Inclined
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a 2005 FZ6 and have some questions.

1.) Is the dash display hard to see/read during the day? I would assume it wouldn't be at night.

2.) What is the lower cowl for?

I currently ride a 2005 V Star Classic 650 and have been riding since April.
I'm sure I'll have more questions later.
Thanks!

·
Face is a Maserati!!!
1,161 Posts
Hey Jamez!

Let me be the first to say :welcome

To answer one of your questions.

1.) Is the dash display hard to see/read during the day? I would assume it wouldn't be at night.

Only the tach portion of the display is somewhat harder to read under certain lighting conditions. To see this, just download one the very nice clips by Maste. I don't really look at it at night...

·
Registered
504 Posts
1) All the mag reviewers seem to think so, I have personally never had a problem reading it, even during sunny days.

2) If you mean the lower chin fairing plastic thing, absolutely nothing, it's purely cosmetic.

·
Super Pursuit Mode, Yo
2,073 Posts
Don't sweat all the bad publicity the dash gets in the magazines. I've never had any problems seeing it. A tinted windscreen does make it show up better in bright sunlight though. I've always preferred analog gauges but the numbers on some of them is so small it can't be read.

I see Kawasaki is putting similar displays on their sportbikes now and the reviewers say it's unreadable also. I haven't heard any Kawasaki owners complain...

I love my FZ. Almost as much as my DR650

·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dparadis said:
To see this, just download one the very nice clips by Maste.
Thanks! Can you explain this further?

·
Super Pursuit Mode, Yo
2,073 Posts

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
jamez said:
I am considering buying a 2005 FZ6 and have some questions.

2.) What is the lower cowl for?

I currently ride a 2005 V Star Classic 650 and have been riding since April.
I'm sure I'll have more questions later.
Thanks!
1) I've never had a problem.

2) Looks pretty doesn't it?

·
Face is a Maserati!!!
1,161 Posts

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
dparadis said:
Hey Jamez!

Let me be the first to say :welcome

To answer one of your questions.

Only the tach portion of the display is somewhat harder to read under certain lighting conditions. To see this, just download one the very nice clips by Maste. I don't really look at it at night...
Actually, I rarely look at my tach....I can tell from the sound and feel of the engine what the revs are.

·
Face is a Maserati!!!
1,161 Posts
I almost always ride with earplugs and so do not hear the motor as much.

In spirited driving, I try to keep the revs around 10,000-11,000 rpm.

Also, I know 7,000 rpm is 130 km-h while 8,500 is 160 km-h. Damn motor is so smooth, I can easily be at 160 km-h in fourth and not feel anyhting!

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
klouseau said:
Actually, I rarely look at my tach....I can tell from the sound and feel of the engine what the revs are.
Yeah...when it tickles the taint it's right around 5500rpm.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The circular tach bar display sucks in daytime, and there's no good excuse for it. This is also obvious in Maste's videos where the tach is almost illegible.

Does it diminish my enjoyment of the FZ6? Not really...

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I agree Jeff.

Hey Sarchi..you're only a 20 min ride from me :)

·
TD Survivor
944 Posts
yeah dont really use the tach anymore just feel the vib and the sound when you need to shift.

·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok everybody ... here's my review. I test rode/drove (whatever) a 2004 yesterday after work. And well ...

it's more fun than a barrell of ... bananas!!!! :banana :banana :banana
Anyway I rode for about 20-25 minutes. I took it easy at first getting it out of his gravel *groan* driveway. I didn't want to kill it or drop it or anything. Oh yeah, and I didn't know how to get it off the center stand, because my v star doesn't have a center stand and it's my first bike. So I take it down some quiet residential streets to get the feel of the clutch, throttle, and breaks, and to get my feet comfortable, as I am used to foot boards stretched out in front rather then tiny (yes they feel tiny to me) pegs up and back. Then I took it out on a quiet backroad highway, and began to open her up. Although, not taking her much past 7K RPMs ( :lao laugh if you want to, I have a family and it wasn't my bike). Anyway, it didn't take long for me to coordinate the clutch and throttle. It is so smooth; like butta'. Shifting gears is so much smoother (when you do it right) and it just rides a lot smoother than my v star. My v star has too much vibration at 50mph+. I quickly learned that I could get to 70mph very fast without even realizing it. I must admit, at first I was a (very) mildly shocked that the windscreen didn't turn when the handlebars did, like they do on a cruiser. No big deal, I was just like 'Oh.' I am amazed at how much wind the windscreen actually blocks or diverts.

Anyway, I am going to pursue a couple dealers who have 2005 FZ6s. One is brand new, never been owned, and they want $5750 out the door. The other dealer has a 'used' with 1300 miles on it for $5499 out the door.
So here's my delimma. Do I go with the untouched brand new one, or do I get the used one with the engine already broken in and the 600 mile service down with no more scheduled maintenance for another 2700 miles? Then what are your thoughts on the extended warrenty?

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
For a diff of $251 I'd take the new one.

Or you could walk in with $5000 cash and offer it for the used one.

Or buy one on ebay for $4500 with mods.

·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Let me also, put this out there. The 2004 I test rode has 6200 miles on it & he's asking $5200 for it & it has another 3 years on the exteded warrenty, plus he's going to throw in a tank bag. I don't remember the brand, but he says it's very quality.

·
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I went to the dealer in Broken Arrow, OK and they offered me over blue book for my v star, so I bought the "used" FZ6. It actually has 1684 miles on it, but that doesn't bother me. I went for the used because I may not have the cash to pay for the 600 mile service on a new one, because I just did that on my v star about a month ago.

·
Registered
20 Posts
welcome to the club, hope you enjoy your new FZ

1 - 20 of 20 Posts