Sport Bikes banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to STT at Putnam Park yesterday and have decided to try a track day as soon as I can get the schedule availability and work out the funds since I will need at least a pair of race boots and gloves. STT will rent me the leathers at least until I can see if I want to get my own.

All the people there were really great. I met Monte and Bonnie and I met some nice people from www.departmentofsuspension.com. He has been doing suspension for 10 years and must be good because riders kept coming up and saying things like "man I can't believe how good my bike feels now." He does the suspension set ups right there and charges like $50 (plus parts if you need a spring or something). I am definitely going to get a suspension set up and I will need a spring since I am a heavier rider.

I definitely want to take my FZ6 out for a couple of novice sessions. The guys from STT ride with you on each session and work with you on whatever you want to work on and/or what they think you need to work on - early in the day you follow them and later in the day they follow you and observe your skills. It's a pretty darn good deal when you consider you get so much personal instruction and a track day all in the price.

While I definitely want to do this to become a better rider and really learn my bike in closed circuit conditions beyond this I was wondering how many Fz6 riders use there bike for more intense track days (e.g. intermediate and advanced groups)? I am just curious if FZ6 owners who get into track riding as a hobby tend to get a more straightforward sport bike for the track and ride their FZ6's for cruising or if they just use the FZ6 for both.

I am afraid that when I do this, I will want to do it a lot more!

·
stayin' sucka free
1,394 Posts
danelen said:
I am afraid that when I do this, I will want to do it a lot more!
You're right.... you will :headbang

Personally, I decided to get a dedicated track bike... but not because I don't think the FZ6 could hold its own on the track.

First reason was that I didn't want the hassle of doing the safety/prep stuff to my FZ prior to every track event (draining radiator, safety wiring, taping up/removing mirrors, etc.).

Second reason was that my insurance doesn't cover track days... so if I'm pushing/exploring my limits, or if another rider caused me to go down... or if ANYTHING unfortunate should happen at the track, I would lose my main mode of transportation and my insurance would do nothing to help me recover.

When I first started getting into track riding, a fellow rider told me: don't take any bike to the track that you're not prepared to set fire to and walk away from. Since I'm not prepared to set fire to my FZ, I opted to get a used bike that was already race prepped and ready to go.

·
FZ6 Corner Carver
12,159 Posts
+1^^^

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
ive thought about buying a wrecked tank and taking all the plastics off to cut down on crash costs. if i had the money i would have a dedicated track bike for sure. (and go to the track alot more too)

·
Registered
732 Posts
I've thought about having a dedicated track bike, but for several reasons (but mostly $) I've still got only one bike.

I decided this year to compromise between getting a track bike and keeping the FZ6 only - so I sucked it up and bought an extra set of rims and an Ohlins rear shock. The extra set of rims allows me to use sport-touring tires on the street (Diablo Stradas) and sticky tires for the track (Diablo Corsa III's). There's nothing worse than buying supersport tires and wearing a flat spot in the rear tire while commuting.

While I wouldn't say that you've got to be willing to set fire to the bike to track it, I would agree that it factors into your track riding when you know that you really can't afford to crash. In a way that's a good thing, since it'll keep the impulse to be stupid to a minimum. Then again, it can hold you back, and slow the pace of your improvement. I've made the best of my situation, and I must say that the FZ6 is the perfect bike for this kind of compromise.

If you've never been on the track before then I'd say that you'll be fine riding your bike at track days for the rest of the summer. By then end of the summer, if you've made large improvements, then you may be looking for a sportier dedicated track bike. Until that time, you're riding what, to my mind, is the perfect compromise bike for the sport rider that can only own one motorcycle.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I wanted to go to the track once my friends catch up on their riding skills a little. The closest track is about 2 hrs away so they have to get comfortable enough to ride down the hwy for that long...

this whole setting the bike on fire thing is freaking me out.. how would even get back if I laid it down hard? hmm i think i need to think this track idea over some more.

·
Registered
317 Posts
MotofiendNYC said:
I wanted to go to the track once my friends catch up on their riding skills a little. The closest track is about 2 hrs away so they have to get comfortable enough to ride down the hwy for that long...

this whole setting the bike on fire thing is freaking me out.. how would even get back if I laid it down hard? hmm i think i need to think this track idea over some more.
Trailer the bikes to the track. The one time I crashed at the track is the one time I rode to the track. Got a ride home with a friend, but it sucks to go down because you are fatigued from riding for hours before you even get to do the intense stuff.

The FZ6 is a decent little track bike, but if you are a hard core trackfiend you should get a supersport like the R6. If I had the money I would've jumped ship already. As I am a broke ass, I'll be riding the piss out of the FZ6 for a few more years.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great comments! Since I have spent a bit lately to get the bike and street gear, I am going to wait a bit to spend money to get on the track but it is something I have decided I will do sooner than later since it seems like too much fun to pass up.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Trailer the bike in case you break it.
You don't need to "Push it to the limit" to have a great day and learn to be a better rider.
Think SMOOTH.
Don't ride like a moron.

Just have fun.
It's easy.

It is a rare occassion that at the novice level that someone will take you out but it is a possibility.

If the bike is your ONLY mode of transportation, I'd suggest NOT going to the track and slowing down about 10MPH every day!!

My .02

·
Registered
732 Posts
FazeX said:
Trailer the bikes to the track. The one time I crashed at the track is the one time I rode to the track. Got a ride home with a friend, but it sucks to go down because you are fatigued from riding for hours before you even get to do the intense stuff.

The FZ6 is a decent little track bike, but if you are a hard core trackfiend you should get a supersport like the R6. If I had the money I would've jumped ship already. As I am a broke ass, I'll be riding the piss out of the FZ6 for a few more years.
Yes, DEFINITELY trailer your bike to the track. It'll save a ton of hassle if anything goes wrong.

I also agree that if you get hooked on track riding and increase your skills quickly that you'll be wanting more than the FZ can deliver. Still, with a few mods you can squeeze a little more sportiness out of it (reworked stock or R6 front forks will go a LONG way towards improving the handling).

I had one track day last summer where there was suddenly an extra FZ6 running in our group after the first couple of sessions. When I asked around I found out that the guy had been running in Intermediate and decided to drop down because it was too crowded. I honestly didn't think that the guy was that fast, because I had no trouble passing him, but he could have been working on something specific and just going easy.

Either way, it proved to me that if you've got enough skill that you can run the FZ6 in an intermediate track group. That's pretty much my goal for this summer: if I can ride mid-pack in the intermediate group then I'll be able to justify buying a sportier track bike. Until then I still have things to learn on my current bike.

·
Registered
317 Posts
tilejerky said:
Either way, it proved to me that if you've got enough skill that you can run the FZ6 in an intermediate track group. That's pretty much my goal for this summer: if I can ride mid-pack in the intermediate group then I'll be able to justify buying a sportier track bike. Until then I still have things to learn on my current bike.
Hell, you can run in the advanced group... I have. My friends get a kick out of seeing me flog the fz around a track. They have a hard time believing it can do what it does. As I said before, it isn't ideal for the track... but it does work! It's all about the rider.

·
Registered
732 Posts
FazeX said:
Hell, you can run in the advanced group... I have. My friends get a kick out of seeing me flog the fz around a track. They have a hard time believing it can do what it does. As I said before, it isn't ideal for the track... but it does work! It's all about the rider.
Yeah, most people tend to vastly underestimate this bike's potential. As I was getting more comfortable at the track towards the end of last summer (read: faster) I'd get the strangest compliments from the control riders. Stuff like, "you're riding really smooth, and looking really good, especially for riding THAT bike."

More than one control rider seemed shocked that the FZ6 could go so fast. One even asked me, in a skeptical voice, "does that thing hold a line on a corner?" It's really funny to me. I mean, come on, it's got an R6 engine, of course it's fast. Of course, it helps enormously that I've got my cheater R6 forks and brakes.

·
Registered
6,406 Posts
i love getting out and smokin guys to see their face, especially R6 guys.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts