Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope that by next year I ill be a good enough rider to ride with the kids, they are twins turning 8 in august. Class has a track day for learning two up that I considered taking with the man as my #2 :eek:nfloor and I have looked at some belts with handles that a parent can wear and the kid can hang on to. I already decided that I want a corbin seat so I can get a back rest. But I wonder, how long did you ride before you felt safe taking the kids on a ride? How old were the kids? Has anyone ridden with two kids or even a side car before and what was it like/how did it work etc? I just haven't found a lot on kids riding and I see a lot of kids on the backs of cruisers from about age 8 on up. I was looking at gear to figure out how much to budget next year and even finding good kids gear is tough. So to all the kid-taxi's and mommy-mobiles just how do you take kids on your ride?

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
I am only comfortable taking the kids around in town. Everytime I try to take them on the highway I have a massive panic attack. I don't know why, but I really struggle with taking them out of town, even on a short jaunt for dinner. Mine are 12 and 8. My 8 year old LOVES to ride and will at the drop of a hat and she holds on really well. My 12 year old could take it or leave it (I really think he's just spoiled, he's the only boy his age I know that isn't geeked about riding. All the kids that see me pick him up from school on it are jealous/excited, whatever, but not my son... :rolleyes )
So I just take them around in town. I would never ride two at a time, the bikes are not designed for that nor is it safe at all. My bf has an '03 R6 so when we decide to go out with the kids, he takes one and I take the other. But again, we do not go tearing it up, we go pretty slow, which my daughter doesn't like, but safety is our #1 concern. I always tell me daughter that a slow ride is better than no ride!!!! :lol

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would like to do small trips with them next year, with the man unit and myself it's easy since we have two bikes. But I would also like to be carless for grad school and with two kids I'm not sure I could do their regular school commute without a side car... I like the idea of a side car unit to use for school drop offs and trips with just the three of us, but I heard they feel weird to ride. I don't know.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
What age would be the good to start the kids off riding on the back? My son is turning four in August. Obviously he's too little right now! He wouldn't listen to me and he WOULD fall off. I don't know, what do you think about the age of five, just in parking lots for that season, then next season, when my son is 6, take him on non-busy side roads? Or is that too young?? I was also thinking of getting him one of those little sportbikes from wal-mart, the ones that go up to 18mph, next summer- or should I wait until the summer after, when he's six?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I saw a little guy probably 4 or 5 in cyclear gear getting his first dirt bike gear so I think the little cycles from walmart would be fine. My daughter wants one really bad but we don't have anyplace to ride one around here and I don't have a truck to cart them around.

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
Legal requirement is that they have to touch the footpegs to ride. Size is the determining factor, not age. My daughter is the second tallest in her class and last year she barely reached. Of course the following of directions helps too! :)
During the riding months, my daughter walks home or rides her bike, we live close enough to her school to allow it, and I pick up my son. That's how we get around it.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Thanks for the advice!! My son reaches the footpegs alright, but he is a little mamma's boy, he is scared of loud noises, the rubber duck in the bathtub, getting dirty, and BUGS. But I think I am going to pick him up one of those Wal-mart bikes and some gear in the next month or two, if I get my financial aid squared away of course! I'm just nervous about my 3yr old, almost 4yr old, boy on a bike that goes faster than I can run!!!!

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
ZXXX6RN said:
I'm just nervous about my 3yr old, almost 4yr old, boy on a bike that goes faster than I can run!!!!
lil boys - hell all lil kids are suppossed to get bumps and bruises ....then they can graduate to stitches and broken bones....it's part of growing up :banana

you can't protect them forever...so let 'em do it in a controlled safe environment with gear :neener

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
badgixxer said:
lil boys - hell all lil kids are suppossed to get bumps and bruises ....then they can graduate to stitches and broken bones....it's part of growing up :banana

you can't protect them forever...so let 'em do it in a controlled safe environment with gear :neener
hahaha, my little guy didn't even need a bike at that age, he got plenty of boo boos climbing over the fence and running into dirty sliding glass doors
:lao

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
When my youngest was about 5 I used to ride him around on my GS1100e, with him sitting in front of me caged in by my arms. Just around the neighborhood, mostly. He loved it. But I was always too nervous to take him out on the highway. He's 15 now and is in love with cars, which is fine with me for the time being. I figure it's better he gets some driving experience on 4 wheels before he tries two.

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
hmmm...Jaime, have I told you about my daughter?? HAHAHA!!!!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Eh, you're right blndebmbr! Okay, so I'm going to go out and get him one, finances permitting! I think the one at wal-mart that I'm thinking of is only like twenty bucks or so?? I'm probably wrong, you never know... I'll post up on his progress towards driving me insane when the time comes *holds breath*
I swear I won't be blonde soon, I'll be grey- I don't know which is worse!!!!

·
That's Mrs. Hawker 2U!
5,293 Posts
That's why god created hair dye.....

·
Registered
457 Posts
badgixxer said:
Seems like my 8-yr old spends the summers as one giant scab.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts