Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post on the boards so hi to everyone!

I'm a 20 year old looking for a sensible first 'real' bike for when I hit 21 which is not too far off. I currently own a Cagiva Mito which if you don't know is an incredibly agile 125cc race rep that sounds like a bee in a tin and is as durable as a kleenex at a snot party! I'm in England before you ask as I know you poor guys in the US of A can only ride the Mito etc. on a track :eek:

I'm buying new, there's no debating that as I have had an absolute nightmare with used bikes and although this can be avoided by careful selection, I really would prefer the piece of mind knowing exactly what my bike has gone through right from the very beginning.

Anyways, enough of me waffling, is the FZ6 a fun, reliable bike? I have read in countless magazines that it's a great bike but lacks mid range, this is no biggy as I'm used to an extremely narrow power band on the Mito.

I'm looking at getting the naked version and it's the looks that drew me to it in the first place so I'm sold on that aspect. One thing I'm unsure of is, are the naked and faired versions the same except in the cosmetics department? I see you guys on here mainly have the faired version and love some of the aftermarket parts available that you guys have listed but want to make sure they will fit the naked FZ6.

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading, ANY input will be greatly appreciated :)

Alex aka Muppet :twofinger

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
See if you can take one for a test ride. I had a honda 400cm custom befor my fz6. Theres no turning back. I love my fz6 and just wished i could have gotten the unfaired version. I think the hottest bikes are the Sv650, fz6 and the speed four.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I'm a fan of the faired version, altho with some of the turbulance from the fairing sometimes I wish it wasn't there. The FZ6 is my first owner and I love every minute on it. Very fun and very reliable so far. All of the features are great to have as well and I would seriously reconsider buying a different bike w/o them. I haven't seen any performace #'s on the faired versus the naked bikes so I can't comment on that one. This is a great 600 beginner bike or a great 600 step up bike IMO. I'd love to take it to the track and really test it's ability, but from just whipping around town the performance is great and something you may never grow tired of.

·
Registered
117 Posts
DO NOT believe what you hear about the FZ6 lacking in the mid-range. The people who say it lacks in mid-range have not ridden many 600cc bikes or have not done much riding at all. On just about any 600 you are going to have to keep your revs up and change gears often. I have ridden many 600's and they all feel about the same in the mid range. Most of the complaints I hear come from guys who are used to riding twin cruisers or liter bikes.

·
V-twin anyone?
2,161 Posts
The FZ6 (Fazer) is the way to go, especially compared to the other bikes in the same bracket. The mid-range complaints are non-exsistent to me. I deal with it and if I wanted more torque, I'll drive my Bronco.
The value is great and the quality is superb. At first, the gearbox is a little notchy, but it'll break in....good luck and I hope you get the Fazer.

·
the human bike-rack
419 Posts
fz6 4sure!

G'day Alex

Perhaps I can help you.

I picked up my FZ6 (Lava Red naked) on the 11 this month. It is badged 06/04 and it is quite obvious that in some instances Yamaha have already addressed issues raised in this and other forums ie when the FZ6 was first released in the UK and the USA, last year.

I should add I have been riding motorbikes on the road for nearly 30 years- jeez that makes me feel old....

You are really fortunate that in the UK, you can choose between faired and naked. Here in Oz we only get the naked and in the US all they get are the faired Fazer.

If I had the choice I still would have bought the sexy Lava Red naked FZ6. Red becasue we all now that red is fastest. But my reasons for going naked are to keep my licence longer.

Ok let me explain. Just like in the UK, Australia has way too many radar-revenue raising devices; handheld, car mounted, fixed and portable units, you name it the police have them here. Its not a matter of if you get booked, its only a matter of when! Sound familiar Alex?, I'll bet!

Anyway as I'd suspected (and 1000km later) my FZ6 wants to run. She prefers to cruise at 120kph (~6500rpm), a pity when the maximum posted speed limit is 100kph. And when I feed her a good fistful of throttle ... well you know... its all there and more ...as much as I'd hoped for.

Anyway without fairing and as a tall bloke, I find prolonged bursts over 140kmh a bit like doing a few rounds with Mike Tyson- ie a bit hard on the ears amongst other things. Anyway this wind buffeting apart from the odd bursts of exuberance keeps me at or a bit over legalish highway speeds most of the time... If I had better wind shielding then who knows what speed we'd find ourselves hunting along the highways.

I should also mention I also live in tropical northen Australia so although its rains like billyho in the moonsoon the air temps are never all that cool so there is no need for fairing for creature comforts.

I would expect the faired version would have a slightly higher top speed and marginally better fuel economy just because or the smoother airflow around the bike and rider- not all that much I'd expect. I got a few percent increase in fuel economy on my old bike after installing a windscreen.

There is plenty of pull from down low. I can overtake smartly from 90kph in 6th (~4500rpm) and pass 130khp (~7500rpm) before I get in front of the car. No I wouldn't think midrange is much of a worry.

Someone once said buying a motorcyle is about 90% looks and image and 10% functionality. I'd have to agree especially after first seeing pics of the naked FZ6!

After a recent lapse in concentration I can also vouch for the effectiveness of the brakes but that's another story ... lets just say I was running out of road in real rush and it was a great opportunity to see what those big disks up front can do.

I am managing 20km per litre which I am reasonably happy with.

I found the transition from cruiser to FZ6 remarkably easy and I suspect the capacity of the FZ6 far exceeds my abilities.

All in all I am a very happy FZ6-er

If you do get the opportunity, do test ride the FZ6. It will be a "b*****" bike in many ways to your 125 but I believe you'll find it a very tractable package with a lot of scope for you and your abilities to "grow into", faired or otherwise.

cheers ...kimbo

·
Livin' on the Edge!
1,461 Posts
Very nicely written, Kimbo59. Apparently the smartest people on this board chose the FZ6 so that should tell you something. :)

Muppet, this is an awesome bike and the mods are getting better and better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lot for all the replies, kimbo it's a real shame to hear that the aussie's are getting persecuted as well when it comes to speeding :eek: You can't go anywhere on the roads here without a good 'ol bright yellow box at the side of the road inducing a frantic braking session :)

Anyways, I've made my mind up already that it'll be the FZ6, either a silver or black naked version because I think the red will add too much bhp for my liking :) I think I'll wait a few years before delving into the world of fully faired pocket rockets

I'm yet to read a bad thing about the FZ6 apart from the mid range issue, but as Kevin said, the guys that review the 600's are veteran bikers spoilt with their 1000cc hogs. Build quality I can imagine will be leaps and bounds ahead of the Cagiva which feels like it's held together with gaffer tape.

I've heard the FZ6 classed as an excellent 'budget' bike but I'll again put that down to big 1000cc riding snobs with their satellite navigation and inbuilt microwave ovens :) Any riders opinions on this as it seems to me it's one of the best kitted out 600's that i've seen anywhere apart from the brakes, but they still do the job extremely well apparently.

Anyways I'll give you a chance to chew on that before I add more, thanks again guys,

Alex aka muppet :twofinger

·
Registered
52 Posts
I agree that there might be a slight flat spot in the mid range however the low and high range are so fast that I think it makes the mid range feel more flat. Also, be carefull when you ride because the bike has a lot of power. Start off easy and gradually get used to the bike. By the way, I love my bike.

Good luck

·
I'll have another IPA!
565 Posts
kimbo59 said:
...It is badged 06/04 and it is quite obvious that in some instances Yamaha have already addressed issues raised in this and other forums ie when the FZ6 was first released in the UK and the USA, last year...
Kimbo, can you expand on these? It seems the most common bitches are the seat, the "shaking while braking", and the vibration/tapping/clicking in the midrange. Thanks...

·
the human bike-rack
419 Posts
G'day Moldy

The seat is probably still the same- firmish and after 60km my butt starts to get a bit numb unless I've had an opportunity to move it about from one side of the seat t'other :) I've noticed that the seat soften a bit in the sun so I expect there is some chance of it moulding to me with time. Actually I'd prefer firmer rather than softer- (no double-entendre you dirty minded souls!) seats. The seat on my cruiser ended up too soft and used to "pinch"

No sign of shaking while braking syndrome, though I am a squeezer rather than a grabber- I have a good story abouth the brakes... =:eek:

I haven't heard any tappety tap noises apart from when I am trying to pull away in too high a gear from too low a revs...

I'd thought they'd stiffened the forks but at 1200kms I have noticed they are noticeably softer- nothing to get concerend about (yet) unless they continue to soften at the same rate.

Ride from the rear is firm/hard (there you go again :| ) My FZ6 goes in for its first service tomorrow so have resisted the urge to tinker with settings until the dealer has tweaked and adjusted everything back up to spec.

·
the human bike-rack
419 Posts
great brakes- thankfully

getting a bit overconfident, taking the same corners a bit faster each time, lots of fun, until...

I met something that changes all the time- traffic- or in this case came around a sweeper at approx 110 kmh to find an old farm utility (ute or pickup)stopped in the middle of my lane waiting for an oncoming truck before making a right turn into a laneway I'd never known existed.

My problem is I only had about 80 metres and closing fast (at nearly 20metres/sec) to avoid a crash.

A quick check to see there was no way around either side of the ute so my only option was to pull her up in the remaining space.

I grabbed a big handful of front brake and stomping on the rear at the same time. Whoaa a big dive on the forks and the back was starting the skip and I could feel it was only momenets before the front was going to lock up.

My only option was to release the front and rear brakes and reapply more evenly first rear then front and then release and squeeze again once more pulling up with room to spare.

I guess it was a good test for my brakes (and middle-aged heart!). It certainly has given me confidence to call on the brakes if required in the future than some more riskier crash avaoidence strategy.

It was my carelessness and overconfidence that put me in that situation and it was only luck, quick judgement and the FZ6's great brakes that allowed me to escape a crash.

I can assure you there was plenty of adrenalin racing around my system for a few hours afterwards.

Always, always ride to fit the conditions. Don't fool yourself that you'll always have the skills, room and time to avoid a crash if its speed and inattentiveness that put you in that situation to begin with.

But if you are faced with rapidly running out of road it is nearly always better to try and pull up to avoid a crash and the brakes on the FZ6 should be as good as most to do the job

and nope, no sign then or afterwards of any shaking

ride safe

·
Registered
159 Posts
Good job on quick thinking and not panicking. We all run into a situation like this sooner or later. Another notch in your belt, eh?

Maybe a bit of a stretch to define the FZ6's brakes as "great" ;), but they sure will get the job done, front end dive aside.

Glad to hear you came through it rubber-side down and live to ride another day, thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have recently purchased a blue FZ6 and am thinking of putting on a Power Commander. There seems to be a slight lag when I close the throttle and open it up again. I would like any input on the Power Commander that I can get. How much does it change a stock bike.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Wise choice :D

If you want to come along to a ride out or meet theres a UK site thats been around for a quite a while that covered the Fazer from '98 - '03 then the all new FZ6 that came out in '04

FOC-U

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone!

Another rider here considering the FZ6 as a first bike. I've read all the arguments about whether this is a good first bike, but I feel like I can restrain myself to under 6000RPM initially while learning as well as take it slow. No rush to explore this bikes' capabilities (and the hardness of the pavement). On the other hand, I don't want to "dump" money into a learner bike that I will have to discart 6mths down the road - I would prefer to learn slowly and keep this bike for a few years.

I thus have the following question for you, comparing the faired with the naked versions:

I am planning to use the FZ6 for commuting in town, go for a ride of 1-2hrs over the weekend as well as the occasional 3hr trip every few months. I like the naked version but am concerned that it would be uncomfortable at highway speeds.

So the question is:
1) How uncomfortable is the unfaired version at highway speeds up to a max. of 120km/h? Is the faired version REALLY that more comfortable?
2) Would a bikini fairing help much, as compared to the full -faired version of the FZ6?

Thank you in advance for your responses,

Loukas

1 - 16 of 16 Posts