Sport Bikes banner

Questionable title for bike I want to buy

4K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Apostolas 
#1 ·
I found another bike I want to buy. Its an 04 yzf600r. The guy I am buying it from is the 3rd "Owner." So here is the story about the title. The title is still in the 1st owners name. The 1st owners cousin was going to buy the bike from him so he filled out the buyer info on the title but never sent it in to get a title in his name. Now the 3rd owner, the guy I want to buy it from, has the title with the original owners name on it saying that he sold it to the second owner. WTF is the deal with this title? Is there a way to clear all this up quickly? Ran VIN not stolen...

I am in NY if it matters

#2 ·
Around here, the dmv isn't going to take the title unless its filled out correctly. If the title is filled out to transfer to somebody thats not you, I don't think thats going to work.

The person who is holding the title (original owner) can request a replacement title from the state. Then they'd have to fill it out with your name.

If you go put white-out or something on a title, i think the dmv is going to tell you to pound sand.

#4 ·
So you are saying:

Original owner has title. Buyer fills out the info on the title as the buyer. Never goes to the DMV. Next "owner" just has a piece of paper saying it was sold to him and the title mentioned above?

If that's the case, call DMV. But I would think they would require the original owner (They guy listed on the title as the owner) will have to file for a fresh copy of the title with DMV. Once he gets that he can sign it over to you and it's yours.

Good luck with that. That same situation is how I ended up buying a 2001 Katana 750 with 4K miles on it to part out and used the engine in my 91...for CHEAP. In fact I made money parting it out including the engine I kept.

Original owner (Military) buys bike new. Has clear title. Sells bike to another solider. This soldier actually fills out the WRONG field on the title, gets deployed and figures he'll deal with it when he gets back. He gets back and realizes the title is out of state, and he has no clue where the original seller is. So he sells the bike to another soldier (mentioning it's "really easy" to get a title) and so on. It passes hands several times, with a big folder full of the title, bills of sale etc etc. The kid who ends up with it can't get it titled, so it sits. Said soldier buys another bike, and the wife decides this one needs to leave.

Say hello cheap parts bike.

#5 ·
When I bought my project car it was in a similar situation. The guy had the title but it was signed from him to his niece. He had bought the car years back and when his niece turned 16 he signed it over to her but she was snooty and didn't appreciate the sweet 80s hatchback look so never registered it. Didn't turn out to be a big problem, he just went with his niece to the DMV and got a blank title to sign from her to me.

#7 ·
from the NY DMV

"Acceptable Proofs of Ownership
Cars, Trucks and Motorcycles - model year 1973 or newer

The acceptable proof of ownership is a title certificate from any state and a bill of sale. The person whose name appears on the proof of ownership must sign the transfer section of the proof of ownership.

-->If the seller has a title certificate that was transferred to the seller by another person, the seller cannot use that title certificate to transfer the ownership to you. The seller must apply for a title certificate only and transfer the new title certificate to you.<--

Your name must appear on the title certificate as the buyer.

Make sure that the information listed on the title certificate is not altered, erased or changed. If any information is altered, erased or changed, the current owner must get a duplicate title certificate and use the duplicate to transfer the ownership to you."

here's the link:
NYS DMV - Proofs of Ownership

and some more info:
Apply for Registration Without Having a Title Certificate

#11 · (Edited)
that is what's known as an open title, you are free to buy it no problem, EDIT: if there's someone else's name in the buyers slot just take it to the DMV with bill of sale to you from the "buyer", all that matter is it has the title owners sig. As long as their are no leans and its not reported stolen you're in the clear. I would def use that as leverage to jew the price down though, haha. your best bet is to call the DMV and ask

some states even have multiple buyers slots for reassigning ownership before retitling

#12 ·
The extra slots on that form are dealer reassignments. Dealers are treated differently than buyers. They are licensed through the state and it's common practice for cars to change hands between dealers legitimately as part of business, and as such the state allows special consideration for that. Private party sales are totally different. If the title is signed over to someone else they have no way of knowing the true story behind the vehicle and will almost never process the transaction without extra paperwork from the original owner.

#13 ·
yeah, I'm sure there's something he can do to get the title in his name, won't be that hard, not like it won't ever be able to be titled or registered again... I wouldn't pass it up for that reason alone if the price is right... but then again, it is a yzf600r, a pig of a bike, may be worth passing just cause of what it is... how much $ are they asking?

#15 ·
-the problem is that the 1st owner signed the title over to "his cousin," who bought the bike but didn't re-title it in his own name.

-Then the "cousin" just sold it with the original title, still with his own name in the Buyer Slot.

-I'm sure the 3rd owner realized now that the only way to title it in his name is to find "the cousin," because that's the guy who technically owns it (afterall, his signature is still in the buyer slot).

-so now he just wants to get rid of it, since he can't title it without tracking down the "cousin" and getting him to re-title it. (why is this difficult? because the "cousin" would have to pay state taxes when he re-titles the bike. and who the hell would want to pay taxes on something they already sold)

The conclusion! This title/bike has just been a long process of idiocracy. Passing from one idiot to the next. Don't be the next idiot in the process (to the OP).

#16 ·
The bike is MINT with just over 6,000 miles, custom paint, full d&d exhaust, tons of chrome etc...the list goes on...but anyway he is asking $3,000. Thats what makesme very skeptical about this bike. I told him I will not buy until title is fixed and he said it will, so I may be getting a good deal after all. Will keep all posted for sure....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.