Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much experience do people generally need before they start goin on tha tracks? I wanna eventually go but eeeehhhhhh......sounds expensive n dangerous at this level for me haha..(just learned)

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
going to the track will actually help you learn. There are several organizations that offer up structured sessions for the novice rider. Riding on the track has many benefits including learning the things your bike is capable of in an enviornment that is free of little blue hair grandmas, cops, and wildlife/debris. it is one of the best things you can do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
it must be crazy expensive to go on tracks.
And where do people get their track bikes, like one of those honda rs125?

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
nah, it isn't crazy expensive initally, but it is addicting so, then it adds up. As for getting track bikes, I would say at this point in the game, you could most likely use your street bike w/ a few mods done to it. (I'll address that later if you would like), but an actual street bike can be bought from other racers or built and modded into a track only bike. My R1 is my main street bike, but I have bought race plastics for it for use on the track. It is already safety wired w/water wetter in it. I don't have to do anything once I switch the plastic over. Let me know if you got more questions, if I can't answer them, I know of a few that can and I'm sure others will chime in here at some point too. :)

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
I meant to ask you what kind of bike do you have????

·
Registered
42 Posts
expensive? no way, here in colorado we have 3 tracks readily available all for about $50 for half a day. as fast as you want without all the danger. what else could you want?

·
Registered
15 Posts
When and where in Colorado? I ride in th Springs and have heard of past track days but it seems I'm always a day late.

·
Registered
20 Posts
if I had my motorcycling career to do all over again, I would never have ridden on the street. All I ever learned on the street is how to piss off motorists and get arrested.
Guys who learn to ride on the track initially have a huge advantage over those who start on the street. They don't target fixate, the don't doubt traction at extreme lean, etc. No bad habits....

·
Registered
48 Posts
When I first started racing there were several riders at the race school that either had never rode or had been riding for less then 3 months. They took the shool to learn good solid riding techniques. It cant hurt to go to a race school, or even to a track day and just follow a more expierenced riders lines, it will teach you alot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When i said expensive, i meant like getting the parts, replacing them, repairing the bike if u fall....tires....leathers....that stuff.

·
Registered
152 Posts
hey gsxr4me, i'm in the springs now too. we should ride sometime!? PMI is $40 for 4 hours. Continental divide is also $50 for 4 hours. Second creek is $50 for 4 hours. IMI is $20 for all day, but they let go-carts on the track at the same time. and it's really small. last time i went, a cart spun out and my buddy's aprilia t-boned him & the manager blamed it on him!!! they don't cater to bikes. i think that backmarker guy works at one of those tracks. he has a black 600rr and i think he leads the novice 600 standings for the mra. his name is tony something i think. but i could be wrong.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts