Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm getting out of the sportbike scene for the moment to go over and try cruisers (sorry). Have had my bike on craigslist for about 2 months now with no real bites. It's leaning towards the end of the season (Maryland) so I understand.

Got a email last night for a straight up trade. Here are the details:

my bike:
2005 Suzuki GSXR-600
14,5xx miles
Aftermarket:
  • fairings
  • exhaust
  • rearsets
  • clip-on's
  • 1/4 turn throttle
  • 520 coversion
  • random other bits

Trade bike:
2013 Honda CB500F
2,000 miles
Bone stock

Now I know the trade bike is not a cruiser, and I understand it'll be a bit boring as compared to what I'm riding now. Question is, given the time of the year and the specs on my bike, if I were to take this trade would I have a better chance come spring to unload it quicker and for a potentially better price? I originally was listing mine for 4,500 and willing to take a bit less, the trade bike is currently listed at 5k and I see that new it costs about ~5,600 plus all of the other 'new' fee's.

What are ya'll thoughts?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I wouldn't do it. The Suzuki will be easier to sell than the Honda I think. The Honda is cheap new, so anyone buying a used one will want significant savings over buying a new one themselves.

I think your pricing is fair assuming you'd be willing to be talked down to 4k. I buy and sell a lot on Craigslist and shit always goes right away, or it takes a long time, there doesn't seem to be an in between.

You'd probably have better luck in the Spring, but then new bike prices will be higher.

IMO, wait for an end of season deal on the bike you want, then trade in your Suzuki for it. You'll get less than if you sold in the Spring, but you'll save money for buying the bike in the fall.

·
Super Moderator
18,635 Posts
Your bike is almost 10 years old. Regardless of condition, you'd be, realistically, lucky to get 3 thousand in a straight up sale. So, if you can tolerate the loss of power for the substitution of comfort, I say go for it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^ That was kind of my thought as well. And really if it doesn't sell this season then it will be a decade old come spring 2015. I really don't mind a loss of power for a bit, I always value owning/riding different kinds of bikes as well.

·
Super Moderator
18,635 Posts
^^ That was kind of my thought as well. And really if it doesn't sell this season then it will be a decade old come spring 2015. I really don't mind a loss of power for a bit, I always value owning/riding different kinds of bikes as well.
It sounds like you've got a great attitude so I see no reason why you wouldn't be happy on the 'Zook :cheers

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
I wouldn't make the trade, not because your bike is worth more, but because the trade bike isn't what you're looking for and also isn't gonna be worth much in a very short while. In fact going by the "new" price, it's not even worth the asking price now. New depreciation is a bitch. Looks to me like both of you are having a hard time selling because you're both asking too much, especially given the time of year. Trading puts you both in the same place, except he has a bike he wants and you have something that wasn't on your list.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would not make that trade. IMO you would be trading down.

There's a reason he is willing to trade a like new bike for an older bike, his new bike has zero power and low resale.

If you really want a cruiser be patient and keep trying to sale yours, after all you know the bike you have is reliable and dependable.

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
As bikes age, ironically the aftermarket parts become a detriment to the total value of the bike. All stock completely clean bikes that are in that range tend to have the highest value.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts