Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a question on starter bikes. I have read all that has been said in the forum regarding the 600cc starters but was told something different by the manager of a local bike shop. He said I would be better off on a GSX-R 750 because of the power band kicking in at lower rpm's and it not being as torquey (if that's even a word :) ) as the YZF-600R that I was looking at. Now granted, I told him of my riding experience being about 30 hours on a honda 250 dual purpose and my one hour of YZF-R6 time. Can anyone tell me why he would recommend a newbie as myself to start on something this size??

·
Registered
288 Posts
He'd be wrong to even recommend a 600 to you much less a 750....the advice you'll get from most on this board is to start small, good examples include Ninja 250R, Ninja 500R (which I own), Suzuki GS500F, or a distant last Buell Blast.

He'll sell you whatever to make a buck, maybe his margin is greater on the 750....in any case, take the MSF, buy great gear, start small, and be safe. Good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The bad thing is this dealership and person came highly recommended as being one of the best in the state.. and believe it or not he recommended I join this forum to gather as much info as I possible could. I guess he knew I wasn't going to do anything stupid as I had my 6 week old son and wife with me :p. The size of the bike doesn't bother me as far as riding goes. That's only half the battle....its all the other morons riding around you in cars that scares the hell out of me!!

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
sounds like someone trying to sell a b***** bike and make some more cash for himself.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
um yeah, the dude was pulling your leg. do NOT get a 750. the power band kicks in and less torquey? whatever I'm calling :bs . i'm glad he had enough sense to recommend you to this site so you would get some REAL information.

·
Registered
283 Posts
What a load of BS..

So because the 750 has more torque downlow it is suddenly a better starter bike than the 600?? how does that work? you have more power downlow to spin the tires out, loop the bike, and kick a tire out in a turn than a 600, and even more HP once you hit the powerband, all in a bike that is similar is size to a 600.. Sounds like a much better bike to start out on! :hshot

Get somthing under 80hp for your first bike, you'll be a much happier and better rider.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
btw, that would also make the 'busa a great starter bike.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Agree... the salesman sees you as a commission check. He doesn't give a shit what happens to you after you leave the dealership. When I was out looking for my first bike I went into a local shop down the road. As I was looking through the used bikes a salesman in his late twenties tried to sell me a 1200 Suzuki Bandit. He tried to give me the BS story that I needed a bike that I could "grow into". Ya, grow into ey? I lost a lot of respect for the dealership after that and spent my money elsewhere. Ended up buying a GREAT starter bike... a Katana 600 from a private seller.

Don't even think about buying larger than a 600cc for a first bike.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Sometimes we go into the local bike shops and act like we have never ridden. I have been told the GSXR-1000 and R1 would be excellent starter bikes for someone like me and that I would outgrow a 600. It amazes me that these retards see you as a comission check and do not put some passion and concern into their jobs by actually caring about the rider. But I gues the turnover is so high they won't be around in a year or two when you come back to buy a new one so what do they care if you live or die.

·
Super Moderator
18,633 Posts
Sucks that info is conflicting...

But look at what is posted by the seasoned vet riders...Start small...

So let's review...Veteran riders with nothing to gain but the feeling that they helped someone say go small...Shady dealer who needs commission recommends a more expensive bike says get a 750...Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

The ironic part about sportbike salespeople is that some of them don't even ride sportbikes, so how can they speak intelligently about power on them...From a spec sheet????...Oooookayyy....

Ask the sales guy what bike he rides and how long he's been riding...Let us know what happens...

·
Registered
681 Posts
Sounds like the typical salesman who has no CLUE as to the products he's selling.:lame

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The manager has been riding for 15 years (wrecked a ZX-6 two years ago) and has been on the GSX-R 750 since. Like I said, he came highly recommended as the person who would steer me in the right direction...looks like he did by sending me here :). I think I will go take the MSF course before I do anything else, ride what they have and use that as my indicator.

·
Registered
19 Posts
In the area where I live, I hardly ever take motorcycle advice from anyone. Since helmets still aren't required in Indiana, seeing someone on an R1 wearing shorts, sandals, and sunglasses with no shirt is the RULE not the EXCEPTION. I see riders with helmets about 3 times a week, and riders with full gear even less frequently. (Most of the helmeted riders are wearing shorts and a t-shirt which makes me think they are riding with a permit which requires that you wear a helmet at all times.)

But, all that aside and getting back to the original topic, I would DEFINITELY not suggest a 750. I can tell you that I started out on a 2002 YZF-600R that I'm still happily riding and I've been extremely happy with it. It is powerful, and a bit scary at first, but it's a great bike. I definitely wouldn't recommend it as a starter bike for everyone, but if you are really comfortable with riding and know you're not going to be trying any stupid stuff, I personally think it's ok. I'm sure quite a few people here will disagree with that statement however. :)

One of the greatest things about the bike is just how 'civil' it is. The seat is a LOT more comfortable than what you find on most sportbikes, and the footpegs and handlebars are aligned so that you don't have to put any weight on your arms unless you want to. It's a really comfortable bike to ride, even for long trips.

·
Super Moderator
18,633 Posts
FlyingSolo said:
The manager has been riding for 15 years (wrecked a ZX-6 two years ago) and has been on the GSX-R 750 since. Like I said, he came highly recommended as the person who would steer me in the right direction...looks like he did by sending me here :). I think I will go take the MSF course before I do anything else, ride what they have and use that as my indicator.
Awesome words you have written :dblthumb...It's nice to hear a noob talk intelligently and sensibly about getting into our sport...You will not regret taking the road you have chosen...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts