Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going skydiving this weekend.

My question is does the freefall feel like the initial hill in say a big and steep roller coaster ride? In other words, that stomach going through your head feeling. :rolleyes

·
Registered
26 Posts
That falling feeling is your body accelerating. After about 4 seconds you reach terminal velocity and you'll feel like you are just floating there. The coolest thing I've ever experienced.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll be going in new jersey. here's the website of the place. it's about a 2 hour ride from long island...so you're even closer.

http://www.skydivesussex.com/index.html

As for my screen name, i didn't pick it from a song. i like some of tea party's music but never knew they had one called "halcyon days"....did you know orbital has a song with the same name?

·
Registered
28 Posts
O, Shit! I forgot I was dieing to do that. Thanks for the reminder Halcyon Days...I've been dieing to go Sky Diving for a long time, just never got around to it...I'll have to find a good place to go out here in CA.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
I was planning on doing it for my birthday. For some reason I didn't. A week afterwards some guy's chute didn't open up and bounced on the ground a few times....no thanks

·
Registered
430 Posts
actually, Orbital has both "original" or "Halcyon" and the remix "Halcyon + on + on" the name is a kind of tribute to their mother, who was addicted to the drug Halcyon. (I happen to be a rather big orbital fan)

·
Registered
262 Posts
sonix said:
actually, Orbital has both "original" or "Halcyon" and the remix "Halcyon + on + on" the name is a kind of tribute to their mother, who was addicted to the drug Halcyon. (I happen to be a rather big orbital fan)
great track bro never knew that thou

back to the thread it is not like a roller coaster cuz you are aware of the coaster that is to say you can feel it, when you jump... feelike you slide into a void with wind the most cool feeling i know just to dam expensive ..... wish i was rich

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rascus said:
I was planning on doing it for my birthday. For some reason I didn't. A week afterwards some guy's chute didn't open up and bounced on the ground a few times....no thanks

thanks rascus!! now i'll have something else to worry about when i'm up there...i better just bring an extra bar of deodorant!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Skydiving rocks....been twice....amazing...simply amazing

·
Industrial superstar
722 Posts
i'd almost be willing to bed if you looked at the statistics that riding is more dangerous than skydiving.....

·
Registered
430 Posts
when I jumped, the only thing going through my mind was "man it is windy up here"
You only feel like you are falling for the second right after you exit the plane, then it is like you are floating on nothing, a very windy nothing.

·
2000 VTR1000 Superhawk
3,248 Posts
My wife and I just jumped from 13500ft. It was awesome! you dont really get that feeling in your stomach I think because you really do not have an idea of how fast you are going. unless you pass by a still object like a cloud or something. You are going to have soooo much fun! We cannot wait to go again!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Kawisixer01 said:
i'd almost be willing to bed if you looked at the statistics that riding is more dangerous than skydiving.....
Actually sky diving is very safe lots of developement AOD ( automatic opening device ) and quality instruction i love sky diving wish i was rich so i can do it more

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, finally jumped out of an airplane. So let's see...off the bat it was an awesome experience. Nothing else feels like it, it's a really unique sensation. Coming out of the plane I felt the stomach rush feeling like a roller coaster for about 2-3 seconds...honestly far less than even tiny coasters. From there it was like what everyone else has described. You feel like you are floating with someone blowing an industrial sized fan at you. Without the wind I don't think there was any sense of motion at all. The instructor would do spins and whatever but there was no sense of downward motion. It was really really damn windy though...I've done about 110mph on a bike but it didn't feel like this at all. I only had a tshirt and some goggles on for the skydive. I'll assume if I was going 110 on a bike with no helmet/faceshield and gear on it'd feel very similar. Once the 'chute finally opens the 10% fear/doubt of dying was cast aside. :) Did some spirals down to the ground which was very very fun. Some of my friends said it made them dizzy and told the instructor to stop but I thought it was great fun. Anyways, look forward to doing it again in the future and I hope anyone who is considering jumping for the first time goes out and enjoys themselves.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts