Sport Bikes banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
See that little tab on the left side of the motor with nothing attached to it? It bolts there PERFECTLY. Just run the wires up the inside of that engine mount. Another plus to mounting it here is that it wont scoop up bugs and water like it would if it was facing forward.

·
Registered
622 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies, guys. That bracket does seem like a good spot for the horn. My only concern is heat damage-the horn will be exposed to lots of heat in that location. Have you noticed any evidence of heat damage?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Nope, no damage of any kind so far. However, not normally riding on gravel or other crud, but been through lots of rain. The wiring can be rather neatly done by piggy-backing on the clips that hold the wiring for the kickstand switch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I mounted inside the right side of the fairing. It took quite a bit of twisting and bending of the strap steel bracket to get it there. I didn't like the engine location due to the potential for water and road damage. It just barely fits.

·
Surly Canuck
1,068 Posts
killernoodle said:
See that little tab on the left side of the motor with nothing attached to it? It bolts there PERFECTLY. Just run the wires up the inside of that engine mount. Another plus to mounting it here is that it wont scoop up bugs and water like it would if it was facing forward.
Good spot, but the only downside I can see is that you will not be able to use/mount the "Chin Farring"....if you were thinking of getting one.

Can anyone post up a sound clip of these horns?

·
Registered
214 Posts
What mounting bracket should I order with the Stebel in order to put it on the tab?

·
Theres no I in threesome
6,118 Posts
The one that is on it works fine. You dont need a mounting bracket. Just a bolt! Thats why it was so perfect.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Boneman, there are audio links on www.stebel.it webpages but they still don't do the loudness justice. Select "products", then "electro-pnuematic", and then "nautilus compact".

·
Track Junkie
2,462 Posts
I have heard Jim's in person. Imagine a semi truck horn, jsut a bit higher pitched. That should give you a good idea :).

·
Surly Canuck
1,068 Posts
Nice! Thanks for the audio link info. Love the sound and might make cagers think twice! Not exactly Horn Balsters.com, but worlds appart from stock! (oh man if only Horn Blasters had a train horn for bikes!. If you haven't seend Horn Balster videos, go check em out. They crack me up so much I could watch them all day!)

Hmmm...perhaps my next mod......

·
Registered
214 Posts
I'm about to pick one up from Twisted Throttle.

Does the horn come with the necessray wiring, should I buy my own (and where?), or is it just easier to shell out another $29.99 for the "no hassle" wiring kit for it?

·
Registered
622 Posts
No wiring is included with the horn, but a relay is included. I just used the existing horn wiring to drive the relay and connected new wiring to the battery. I don't know about the "no hassle" wiring kit. I liked piggybacking the new wiring along the path to the sidestand switch as those clips kept everything neat.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wpgibson said:
I'm about to pick one up from Twisted Throttle.

Does the horn come with the necessray wiring, should I buy my own (and where?), or is it just easier to shell out another $29.99 for the "no hassle" wiring kit for it?
My horn came with a relay, a bunch of wires, and some connectors. The wiring kit isn't plug-and-play, but the installation is pretty straight forward. The relay supplied with the kit failed shortly after installation. Also, do not tighten the mounting bolt too tightly. I tightened mine too much and broke the mounting bracket on the horn!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts