Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
RIP Sirkbac
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the seller let you test ride the bike you were looking at?

Or if you were the seller, would you let any potential buyers test ride the bikes?

I'm going to put my bike on the market, and I don't want some idiot to come over and just try to joy ride the thing or something... How do most people handle it?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
When I sold my Magna, I let the woman test ride it beforehand. She rode up on a bike, so I figured she knew what she was doing. I was wrong. She scared the hell out of me while she rode my bike. All things considered, it worked out. She didn't dump it and actually bought it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If they want to test ride it, tell them to hand you the check. They break it, they bought it. I just bought my bike two weeks ago and that's what we agreed on.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I bought my F2 without a test ride because the tire was flat. I bought my F4 with a test ride. When I sold my F2, I let the buyer test ride it while I followed him on the F4. Unfortunatly he dumped it a couple miles from my house. Thankfully he was OK, and he paid me cash. I guess I got lucky as it could have turned out badly.

If I had it to do over again, I think I wouldn't let someone I didn't know test ride it without cash in my hand first.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I got to test ride the bike I bought when I went to look at it. I would have gave half the money or something if the guy wanted it, but he trusted me and just let me take a ride. He had my truck in his driveway so he wouldn't have been losing any money if I stole it I guess.

·
Registered
274 Posts
when my husband and I sold my Ninja, he just told the couple that came to look at it to bring a moneyorder or check and if they didn't bring the bike back or dumped it in the process they bought it.
But thankfully we didn't have that grief. A really great couple from D.C. bought it. He is a Busa rider so he with out a doubt new what he was doing.

·
Registered
239 Posts
The potential buyers (at my request) brought a cashier's check with them when they came to look & test ride the bike. Both of us agreed by doing it that way protected us both.

Using a cashier's check, you know the check won't bounce and they are serious about buying the bike. If the buyer will do that, I'm more than willing to let them take a long test ride, and even have it inspected by a mechanic if they desire.

Working this way, both sides are showing good faith and are protected.

Peace

·
Registered
569 Posts
It depends...

I let the guy who bought my RC51 take it for a test ride because he was in the military and he put the money in my hand before he went for his ride.

I knew that if he wrecked it and tried to cancel the check that I could nail him through his first sergeant... or his commander if absolutely necessary.

If it was just some random guy who decided to roll up and express some interest in the bike... but had no money. No test ride.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My buddy was selling an older BMW. This guy asked to take it for a ride. He crashed about 100 feet into the ride. He then purchased the bike, which was slightly overpriced but at that point couldn't really negotiate, so my buddy made out pretty well.

Koz

·
Registered
346 Posts
first id make sure they had a valid moto permit or license. its all a judgement call, but if the person has a good head on their shoulders id let them have a test ride. have them give you a signed blank check. if the test ride goes ok give them the check back. i think this is the best way. if they wreck you have their money.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Koz636 said:
My buddy was selling an older BMW. This guy asked to take it for a ride. He crashed about 100 feet into the ride. He then purchased the bike, which was slightly overpriced but at that point couldn't really negotiate, so my buddy made out pretty well.

Koz
Good on the gentleman who went for the test ride. More often than not these stories end badly for the seller. Nice to see that there are actually some people out there with a bit of integrity.

·
RIP Sirkbac
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies. So yeah, I like the "cash-in-hand and you can test ride" theory. Makes complete sense.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I must have 'test ride' written on me somewhere.....every bike I've purchased, I was offered a test ride and one time, the guy DEMANDED I take it for a ride before buying it. Guess it's just the way I come across talking w/ the seller? Will never know for sure. The only bike I didn't test ride was the Katana....hell it ran, I didn't need more than that.

The 2 bikes I've sold(well 3 if ya count the 50), of the buyers, none asked for a test ride. The GS550 was demo'd buy a guy's buddy that didn't purchase it......but that is all so far.

Money in hand is the best bet, ALSO....make sure they have a M-class on the D/L first.

·
Resident Gun Nut
1,092 Posts
i test rode my bike when i bought it but that was only because it was a friend of mine that was selling it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I kind of do it the way Squid Killer does.

Thorough inspection and I usually get a feel for a bike or car that lets me know if it's in that's right shape for me. Before I bought my last bike, I drove 4 hrs to check out another. The bike had enough warning signs that I just went home disappointed. One day later, I found one in pristine condition.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
i perfer to test ride but i agree with the money order in hand or cash then they cant snake there way out of paying if they go down

·
Registered
519 Posts
when i bought my zx9r, i met the guy and followed him back to his house, he was riding the bike and i assumed it was ok, which it was.

When i sold the zx9r the guy gave me the money they test rode it, if he crashed it i had the money, so no big deal there

When i bought my f4 the kid insisted that i ride it without giving him the money first, ive only had good experiences

·
Suzuki 3000GT
2,107 Posts
I let the guy I sold my F2 to test ride it before hand. Hell I even let his friend ride it. When I was looking for my next bike, a guy I used to ride with allowed me to test ride his '02 750. I came VERY close to buying it, when the next day it threw a rod. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
130 Posts
When I bought my 954 I asked the guy if I could take it for a test ride, he said YEAH! Take it down the road some good twistes a few miles away. I ended up just riding it 1 mile away and back on a straight road. Maybe be figured I wasnt some punk kid looking for a joy ride because I road 100 miles to get there and come with my mother. haha

1 - 20 of 29 Posts