Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was my origional post...

"I seen that we have a few lawyers on here and I had a question. My wife was in a car accident a couple of months ago. A collage girl ran a stop sign and T-boned my wife. The car was totaled, she missed two weeks of work and lots of medical bills. It comes to about $4,000 in expenses. Their lawyer offered us only $1,500 and their insurence claims that my wife was 25% at fault so they will only pay %75 of costs.

My question is this......how can they say my wife is %25 at fault when the other girl ran a stop sign? There were many witnesses, the girl admitted running it, and it is even on the police report that she said "I wasn't paying attention."

I am sure they are just trying to pay the least amount of $ but what the hell?"

Well, our lawyer called us Friday. The other girls insurance offered us $5,000 PLUS they will pay all the medical and other bills that was acculmated. :) :) We have a chance to go to court and get even more money, but, it will take up to a year and there is a chance to get even less than the origional offer. I think we'll just take the 5G and run.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Good stuff, glad to hear you played a little hardball. Way too many people just accept the first offer because they don't think they will get any better, insurance companies get away with this crap all the time. On my rear-ended by a drunk accident back when I was 18, the first offer was $6000 + medical and other expenses. 18 months later I deposited a check for $47,300 (after lawyers fees) + all the medical bills were paid.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Glad it's working out for you. I hope that by "our lawyer" you mean your insurance company's lawyer and not one you are paying out of pocket. Your insurance company should have handled all this on your behalf. Try to make sure that any future related medical bills will be paid as well if there are any anitcipated. Good luck!!

·
Registered
681 Posts
I wouldn't take that lousy shit settlement....My wife had a kid turn in front of her, totalling the car, shattered ankle etc....they came from a pittance to coughing up 50k unless we wanted to take it to trial and risk it all.....we took the 50k. We ended up with all bills paid(including the lawyer) and 21k in pocket.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
taziscool said:
I wouldn't take that lousy shit settlement....My wife had a kid turn in front of her, totalling the car, shattered ankle etc....they came from a pittance to coughing up 50k unless we wanted to take it to trial and risk it all.....we took the 50k. We ended up with all bills paid(including the lawyer) and 21k in pocket.

Well, here in Nebraska things are a little more conservitive. Example: a friends wife tried to kill herself. To make a long story short, he got custody of his 8 month old son and still has to pay HER $300 a month for the rest of her life. Even our lawyer, who gets %33, said to take it that we had a b***** chance of nothing if we went to court.

·
Registered
623 Posts
My friend last year got hit by a drunk driver and his motorcycle was totalled, his ankle broken, his back all with road rash, color bone broken etc... He is in a law suit right now for 200k in damages that he suffered. The settlement they made for you is fair. When my dad got hit and some idiot ran a stop sign it wasn't 100% either and because of it insurance will raise the rates, I think it was something stupid like 15% his fault. The way they see it is if you were being more carefull you could have stopped or saw the car running the stop sign. Assholes. I hate insurance companies anf female drivers, good female drivers a rare.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Reminds me when my friend got hit it was 25% his fault, cause he was going "too fast". My buddy was taking a turn in his car and some dumb female bitch on a cell phone crossed the double yellow into his lane and did a straight head on collision. 75% her fault!!! Fucking BS.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
taziscool said:
I wouldn't take that lousy shit settlement....
I'm with him. The reason they offered you anything is because they don't want to go to court. They'll lose more. There is a reason it's called, "settling". Don't settle.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I'm living off of a $62,626.38 (after lawyers 33% cut) settlement from being hit by a drunk driver nov 9th 1999 I just got the settlement about 6 months ago... So I would vote for you to hold off and stick it to them...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts