Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend is looking at a 97 suzuki gsx-r600, I think the price listed on the bike is high, but he doesn't believe me. But before I list the price, I am just going to ask what your opinion would be.

Bike looks to be in good condition not any obvious damage that we can see and it has about 20,000 miles on it. No idea about the service history or anything like that.

What is the most that you would pay for a bike like that assuming it's in good condition?

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
mmmmmmmmmmm with 20,000 miles, I wouldn't pay more then $3,800 - $4,000 and who knows if the guy that owned it before beat the living piss out of it

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I just went and looked at it, Chain is very lose on the bike it actually is almost sagging. 3/4 of the frame is polished and part of it isn't. Some cracks in the fairings.

If my friend still wants to go for it we can test ride it but I don't think it's worth the 4 grand the guy is asking.

I just don't consider it a good deal, we just found my friend a good deal, practically a steal on a 2000 gsxr600 with 2000 miles, thats right only 2000 miles, for 4 grand with 2 helmets and the rear seat and cowl. So I believe if we search more we can find a better deal than what this guy is asking.

·
Registered
681 Posts
IllKneeGrow said:
Yeah I just went and looked at it, Chain is very lose on the bike it actually is almost sagging. 3/4 of the frame is polished and part of it isn't. Some cracks in the fairings.

If my friend still wants to go for it we can test ride it but I don't think it's worth the 4 grand the guy is asking.

I just don't consider it a good deal, we just found my friend a good deal, practically a steal on a 2000 gsxr600 with 2000 miles, thats right only 2000 miles, for 4 grand with 2 helmets and the rear seat and cowl. So I believe if we search more we can find a better deal than what this guy is asking.
If you can find a deal like the latter one in that quote, WhyTF would your other buddy think the one he's looking at is a bargain?

I take it, it's his first bike....has to be if he thinks THAT is a good deal. You know the view around here about 600ss's for newbies, right?

BTW, 2500 tops on that bike in the coondition you say it is w/o pics.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doesn't mean he's new because he doesn't know a good deal, he is just uninformed. He can ride pretty good, he had a POS that he got for free and now he is just looking to get something that is an upgrade from that POS.

But I think I talked him out of it because when I checked it out it also looked like the bike had been dropped and the casing on the mirror seems to have been filed down, possibly from cement.

·
Registered
681 Posts
IllKneeGrow said:
Doesn't mean he's new because he doesn't know a good deal, he is just uninformed. He can ride pretty good, he had a POS that he got for free and now he is just looking to get something that is an upgrade from that POS.

But I think I talked him out of it because when I checked it out it also looked like the bike had been dropped and the casing on the mirror seems to have been filed down, possibly from cement.
Does he have an I-net connection? All it takes to be INFORMED is a couple of days around here and a few clicks at KBB.com

BTW, what is this POS that he's been riding and how LONG has he been riding it? And who's judging his riding skills? I hope it's someone with more than 2 yrs ,weekend warrior type riding experience.

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
Going by your description I wouldn't pay anymore than $3,000. If its been laid down I wouldn't buy it.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
taziscool said:
Does he have an I-net connection? All it takes to be INFORMED is a couple of days around here and a few clicks at KBB.com

BTW, what is this POS that he's been riding and how LONG has he been riding it? And who's judging his riding skills? I hope it's someone with more than 2 yrs ,weekend warrior type riding experience.

He has an internet connection, but not everyone of us is interested in browing sportbike message baords. People have other priorities and they rely on friends to help them out with some information when needed.

He was riding a ninja 500 for quite some time, wasn't in the best condition but he go some experience on it and the person judging his skills isn't a weekend warrior type rider, he has a lot of miles under his belt considering the amount of time we have to ride in new england.

But since I asked for opinions on price I think that we can get off of this subject and get back to how bad of a deal this would be.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
taziscool said:
...and a few clicks at KBB.com
Kelly Blue Book is an inflated source of useless data. http://www.nada.com is the way someone would want to go to find good numbers. KBB sucks to such a degree they were even one of the embarrased companies who poor IT infrastructure allowed their webserver to become infected and spread to everyone who viewed the web page:

Robyn Eckard, a spokeswoman for the Irvine, Calif.-based Kelley Blue Book, said the company learned about the problem late Wednesday after Web site visitors said their antivirus software tipped them off to the code. Eckard said Kelly Blue Book removed the malicious code from its site by late Thursday afternoon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts