Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought me a Kawasaki Ninja 500. I really love the bike, but I am completely new to sportsbikes so I have a question to ask. This bike has plenty of power for what I want, but I noticed that when I get on the freeway and get it up to 65mph to run along with traffic, in highest gear the tachometer is reading about 5,500 rpm. Now I know that it is not in the red until much much higher than that, but if I were to cruise on the interstate for like an hour at that speed and rpms, will it put a lot of stress on the engine over time or is it made to handle that? I realize that it has to be properly broken in first, but my question is after properly breaking the bike in and riding it a lot at that power setting. A few guys I talked to said that that is completely normal rpm to run the bike at and it would not put very much stress on the engine at all but would only burn gas a little quicker. Is this pretty much right? I don't want to sound stupid but I know nothing about these bikes and I sure don't want to harm the engine over time. Any input would be great! Thanks!

·
I hate thieves!!!
1,229 Posts
First, let me say congrats on the bike. My first street bike was a 500 and i loved it. It's a great bike, comfortable, and it has plenty of power for what you need.

As for the RPM's, 5500 is fine. I used to cruise around anywhere between 5000-7000. As a rule, bikes rev higher then cars do. If your not used to it, you might be thrown off by it, but no worries, the bike will be fine. :D

·
old member
13,079 Posts
As was said before, 5500 is nothing. Just try to vary the revs especially during break in. It's not a good idea to run for hours at the same engine speed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Congrats man, I'm thinking about making the 500R my first bike as well. Post some pics if you can. It's good to see that you didn't go overboard and start with a 1000cc bike.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Man, my 150 does like 9,000-10,000 RPMs at 60mph on fifth gear!!!

Don't worry, they are designed to run at those speeds!

You have a lot to learn about motorcycles! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the Congrats everyone and all the input! I just wanted to make sure because this is my first bike. I didn't think it was much to worry about but I wanted to get the advice from you experienced guys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Ninja 5 is a sweet bike. I am a begginer and in the process of purchasing one myself but my friend let me ride his last year and I was hooked after that. Just like everyone else said 5500 is no big deal.
I was wondering if anyone knew of an exhaust system that can be put on a Ninja 500R?

·
Registered
269 Posts
500R's are sweet, but....

I had to stop in and say something so you guys might not make a mistake I did.

500CC is fine for the beginner. I bought a 2003 500R and god I loved that bike. I purchased it in June 2003. In April of 2004 I traded it for the 636CC I have now.

According to the 500R Oklahoma title I got, that model is known to have 67HP. My 636, although not much larger displacement, 4 cyclinders and not 2, has 125HP.

Now, I LOVE the 500R. I wished I could have kept it, but I had to keep my Kawasaki account under $8K or so or I'd need a cosigner, so I had to trade it in.

Since the purchase price of the two bikes is only like $2000 difference, get the b***** bike. After only one year, I owed more on the bike than it was worth and lost about $2k going b*****.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
Adempha said:
Since the purchase price of the two bikes is only like $2000 difference, get the b***** bike. After only one year, I owed more on the bike than it was worth and lost about $2k going b*****.
it's not always about the $, better to learn the basics and learn from there as opposed to crashing and not learning anything or stifling your learning curve w/ the b***** bike.....shoulda bought the 500 used , and you coulda sold it for a very good price.

you traded the bike in to the dealership?.....another dumb move, they aren't gonna give you squat for the bike, but they are gonna sell the bike for what you coulda sold it for........and anytime you have a vehicle for 1 yr and resell your gonna take a loss. shoulda kept the 500 and hit a trackday, woulda opene your eyes to how little you really know about riding. how many miles do you put on the 500?

mr anderson, MSF?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Adempha said:
That's because you bought both bikes brand new. There's nothing wrong with doing that, but if you buy a brand new vehicle (whether it's a car, boat or motorcycle) and then trade it in after a year for another new vehicle, you'll always lose money thanks to the big depreciation hit as soon as you drive it off the lot.

·
Registered
63 Posts
sjlee said:
That's because you bought both bikes brand new. There's nothing wrong with doing that, but if you buy a brand new vehicle (whether it's a car, boat or motorcycle) and then trade it in after a year for another new vehicle, you'll always lose money thanks to the big depreciation hit as soon as you drive it off the lot.
The man speaks the truth, that's something I've got to quit doing! :)

M.

·
Registered
269 Posts
opene your eyes to how little you really know about riding. how many miles do you put on the 500?

8000 miles on the 500 in about 9 months time. Ive already put 3000 on my 636 in 3 months.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Adempha said:
I had to stop in and say something so you guys might not make a mistake I did.

500CC is fine for the beginner. I bought a 2003 500R and god I loved that bike. I purchased it in June 2003. In April of 2004 I traded it for the 636CC I have now.

According to the 500R Oklahoma title I got, that model is known to have 67HP. My 636, although not much larger displacement, 4 cyclinders and not 2, has 125HP.

Now, I LOVE the 500R. I wished I could have kept it, but I had to keep my Kawasaki account under $8K or so or I'd need a cosigner, so I had to trade it in.

Don't make this mistake....pay cash for a newbie bike! That's the mistake you made, financing.

btw, you didn't HAVE to do anything......like moving up so quick, trading it in etc.....bad advice to get a 636 over a 500 just cause you couldn't afford the finance deal.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts