Sport Bikes banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Enlightened
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering going 1 tooth lower on the front sprocket of my 2003 Z1000. I know the speedometer measures velocity via the countershaft, thus going to a smaller front sprocket will make the speedo read higher than actual. But how does this affect the odometer? Will it be inaccurate as well? Will it register more miles than I'm actually traveling? I know a speedo healer will correct all this but I probably will not get one unless the odometer is affected by the sprocket change as well.

·
...What speed limit sign?
244 Posts
If i remember correctly, you end up reading higher miles on the odo due to a faster rotation of the custom front sprocket while still travelling the same distance as you would with a slower rotating stock sprocket.

Bikes from the factory are usually 100% accuracy Odo and between 5% to 10% error speedo

I'm getting a speedohealer tomorrow. (I went down one tooth in the front) It's a good idea to get one regardless with a front sprocket change, unless you don't plan on reselling the bike and could care less about the accuracy of your odo/speedo.

For 90 bucks it's not a bad deal. My speedo currently is all out of sorts, reading 50 when i'm actually going 46 (checked w/ GPS). My odo reads higher as well. Not alot, but still higher. The main reason i'm getting one is to keep my odo true to how many miles are really on the bike and I'm sick of estimating how fast i'm really going.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts