Sport Bikes banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, since I decided a long time ago that the RMX 250 was getting the boot, my father has handed down a barely used late model KTM 300 EXC to me - free of charge! It's an amazing bike with all the nicest bits - including WP suspension and Brembo brakes - but I don't want to ride a 2-stroke. Are any of the KTM 250cc, 400cc, or 450cc 4-stroke engines swappable into the frame of the 300cc 2-stroke??? I really don't want to fire from the hip on this one since it's such a nice bike, anyone know anything or anybody who might? What I really want to do is eventually convert it into a street-legal motard. Thank you.

:D

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
The 300EXC is a awesome bike. Hands down one of the best katooms I ever rode.

A 4 stroke in a 300EXC puleese no.... besides addind 40 pounds of unnessesary fat to a real beaut of a bike theres alot of possible probs like hirght of the 4 stroke. Also if you want to dual sport it you will most likely not be able to do it since the frame #'s will be in the NO NO books in every DMV in the US.... I once had a CR 500 Honda made legal I did it on Kauai then brought it back to Oahu and got instantly put back into the dirtbike... Over here you can do alot on the outer Islands but in Honolulu there pretty up to date.

If a dualsport is what your ultimatly after I sugest a 450 Honda, then contact Baja Designs pick up one of there lighting kits (they avg $400) and they know which states will let you do it. I did that to my White Brothers Suzi DR440 and had a killer bike I put nearly 60,000 miles on totally trouble free.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice Krazy :) I really do like the 300 but I don't want to ride something that shoots smoke everywhere and I do want to keep the bike more or less as it is (it's an amazing bike really, hardly ridden). I was just looking at frame pics in which the KTM frames all look alike on their larger bikes and figured I might be able to retrofit it with a 4-stroker.

As far as the DMV goes, the serial numbers should not matter in my state as I don't think it matters so much as long as it passes inspection. The Honda 450 would be a great bike, as would the Yamaha, but they're just not KTM quality; The welds on my old Suzuki and the KTM look nothing alike. One looks like a line of baby shite and the other a laser-precision bond. Plus, if I sell it as is to somebody else the thing will probably be spewing more smoke than if I even kept it since I don't ride more than a few times a year, if that even. So, I'm just wondering if I even have the option of 4-stroking the beaut??? Somebody must know...

PS - I rode it down the street last night and although it's only 50cc larger than my old RMX the thing really likes to wheelie more. I was just getting on the gas in 3rd and the front wheel would willingly float off of the ground. Great fun.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hawaiian is smokin crack........a 450 honda over any KTM four stroke as a dual sport? That's like saying a Toyota is a finer machine than a Ferrarri.

Anyway.........

I run a website for KTM's, so go take a look....... www.ktmtalk.com I'm sure you'll get some solid info from it.

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Excuse me mr big time 3 poster unit74, but officially you are a small furry animal some people like to stuff up there asses. Please stay up there where you belong untill you learn a few things regarding posting and manners.

As to the Honda 450 vs a KTM go look at the win records the speak for them selves...

westcoast, ya the 300 is a absolute gem of a bike, I wish I never traded mine in for the 500EXC. As much as I like the 500 because it's such a beast LOL it has like 60HP nearly at idle or it seems, theres so much power everywhere its simply a missle. Ir ran right out from under a frind of mine I let ride it once..... funniest thing I have seen anyone do even if he did it on my nearly new bike it happened so fast one minute he was on it the next seated on his butt slidin on the ground rofl.

What oil are you using and what ratio are you mixing it at? Some of the newerr oils smoke very little. Something toi keep in mind a 2 stroke will smoke very bad when initally started, and needs to clear out initally. It shouldnt smoke much once its warmed up and you run it hard so it's cleared its throat so to say. 2 strokes natrually smoke but thats why there illegal on the streets :(

I personaly love the 300, it's won many a race for me. And if its true about the DMV where you live go to Baja Designs get lights for the 300!! Thats what I'd do!

But I'd check first to be certain, either way you decide to go it's going to cost quite a bit and I'd hate to see you blow a wad of cash and not be able to get er on the road.
I'm pretty certain you cant legalize a 2 stroke anywhere in the US. Believe me I've tried and been shot down. Only 2 strokes allowed on the roads are ones that were produced and in use in the states like my RD 400 Daytona Special. It is a street legal bike only because they were legal at one time and were grandfathered in.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Been an SBN member since early 01 there tough guy......had to rereg due to the crash the server had. Go poke your finger at someone else and keep your fantasies to yourself.......

But all things aside, WESCOS1, we have a big Dual Sport section and you'll get the real deal and not speculation on what goes down with the DMV's all over the country.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to both of you, and unit I actually just registered on your KTM Talk site the other day. That's a great site and hopefully soon I will be rid of my newbie status there so that I can do some more things.

:)

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
LMAO if you been here that long then you also know me cause Ive been here that long too and you also know better than to start shit Mr. Gerbil Crawl back in your hole Now!! Bad Gerbil. :D

friggin 1 post wunderz :twofinger

·
Super Moderator
4,658 Posts
Quit this shit! Take it to the PMs if you have issues or learn to let things slide. No need for this sophmoric bullshit here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.