Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
A loss is a loss...Anytime your insurance company pays a claim against your policy it is noted for future business

·
Registered
488 Posts
which sucks. i hate insurance company's.. and yes it goes up..

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Meh2u said:
If my bike gets stolen does my insurance go up as bad as if I got in an accident?

no it doesn't...insurance looks at things two ways....claims which are your fault and claims that aren't your fault....a stolen bike isn't your fault...so while your insurance might go up a little bit...it won't go up like an accident

·
Registered
488 Posts
they also look at how it was stolen..was it left unattended for long periods of time, was it locked up, did it have any anti theft shit.. ya know, stuff like that..expect SOME type of increase, hopefully it wont be much.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Around here, a stolen bike would be covered by comprehensive. This does not go up because of a claim. Now if you claim a lot within a short time period, than yes, because you're considered a higher-risk target, but originally, no it won't.

For example, if your car gets broken into and the stereo is stolen, it's covered and your policy doesn't go up. If it happens a lot and you keep claiming it, then yes it will eventually go up.

At least that's the rules here. I don't know about in the US though.

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
In MD they can not raise your rates for a compreshensive claim. You car/bike is stolen/vandalized/robbed. Part of your premiem for comp as based on the area code that you live in. If there is a high number of claims in the area code, the premiem will be higher. It is not your fault if your car/bike/whatever is stolen/robbed. OTOH, if they feel that you are a risk they do have the right to drop your coverage after your policy expires. So multiple claims would not be recomended. i.e. I would not even make a claim if my $150 window and $200 dollar CD player was stolen. Now if my car was keyed and said lots of bad words on it from my ex finding out that I was sleeping with her sister/mother/both :) and the car needed to be resprayed, that would get a claim. Ins is a tough business, and you need them at the worst times. Other than that, I leave them alone.

·
Registered
95 Posts
In most cases the best financial decision is to self insure for collision. Just pay the collision premium into your own bank account. Within a few years, you will have saved up enough to cover any repairs that might be needed if you crash. Just be extra careful for those first few years.

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
wait, so if you get hit and the guy runs... and you DON"T have uninsurance motorist insurance, can't you just ditch the bike and say it's stolen?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's my point of view. My bike is always garaged at home, and yes it is a comprehensive claim if it's stolen, but anyway, it's my only transportation so I'm forced to leave it in parking lots everywhere I go, and someone could wheel it up into a truck in 5 minutes while I'm at work and I'd never see it again. I don't want to pay higher insurance rates because of something I cannot control.

So basically what you're saying is *my* insurance doesn't necessarily rise but the average rates for that certain bike will go up for comprehensive. Such as comprehensive on a Geo Metro would be cheaper than a civic because they get stolen less often?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Superstuddc27 said:
wait, so if you get hit and the guy runs... and you DON"T have uninsurance motorist insurance, can't you just ditch the bike and say it's stolen?
If you have no problem with insurance FRAUD and are willing to risk going to jail for it I guess you can do that. For that matter you can crash it yourself and lie about it. Of course, the police may be somewhat suspiscious of your broken bones or roadrash that you didn't get from your motorcycle because you didn't have it. Don't forget to have the pickup truck handy to load the crashed bike into so you can dump it somewhere else if necessary too. Hey, what the heck, if you burn up the motor or outrun a cop who may have gotten your license plate number, REPORT IT STOLEN!
O.K. I'm sorry, I know this is off topic, and maybe superstud doesnt mean it the way it sounds, but what the hell is with all these guys on here who are always looking for some way to get out of taking responsibility for their own actions? All the time it's "how can I get out of paying my ticket?" Now it's the "how can we cheat the insurance company" ideas. If you want to be covered for uninsured motorists, THEN PAY FOR IT! If you want to save the couple bucks by not having it then suck it up and deal with it if you someday need it and don't have it.

On the origanal topic, no, stolen is not as bad as an accident. For one, it doesn't go on your driving record. If you are always getting ripped off, thats a different story. If I had to leave the bike in parking lots alone I would consider a good alarm and maybe a backpack with a heavy chain in it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts