Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the BT010's taken off today and had a set of Z6's put on instead. I noticed on the ride home that the bike seemed to want to just lean over way faster. The slightest bit of turn and she'd dip in fast. Took me by surprise the first time and startled the shit out of me. So, question is, is this caused by the tire (difference in profile perhaps) or by the initial "slickness" on new tires? Is it just a case of it slipping a little until they're initially scrubbed in? I can't compare it to what they're like after being scrubbed in because it was a short ride home and I was doing work from home and couldn't stay out riding.

Any ideas if it's the profile of the tire or just it needing to be scrubbed in.

BTW, to compare what the initial tires were like, the rear had a little life left in them but the front was shot completely.

Ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
318 Posts
I am betting it is the profile of the tire. When I put new M1's on my bike, it fell into turns extremely easy with little input. Made the bike feel like I didn't have to do anything but think about turning.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Oh, the profile is probably different and the fact that it is new. If you do a lot of highway miles, it flattens out tires making them a lot more sluggish in turns. That probably has more to do with it than the actual difference in tires.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yes it's definately the profile, tires don't slip THAT easy at first... a few hundred rotations and they are scrubbed in. I've drug knee 15 miles after new diablo's with no issue what-so-ever.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
It's the profile dude and you'll get used to it.I love mine.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nig said:
Do you check your tire pressure regularly?
I did on my old ones. Never had a chance yet to see what the dealer has in these. I used to keep my others around 36 and 32psi.

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
I agree w/it being the tire's profile, just get them scrubbed in and you'll love them.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I just got mine scrubbed in. I am loving them. Quite suprised how well it leans over. I am still under 100 miles on my Z6's. Got out on a nice curvy road last night. Checked my chicken strips last night when I was done riding. Was surprised with how small they were. This was my first chance to see what I had actually done to a set of tires since both sets of tires (2 bikes) previously were used bikes. Could never really tell what I had done over the previous owner. They really seem to want to dive into the turns :lol

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
FYI

Geometry Changes

-Changes Necessary to restore baseline geometry due to the differences between the sizes of the baseline tires and the sizes of the test tires:

Race Tires: (baseline tires Pirelli Super Corsa slicks)

Bridgestone Battlax BT002F/R, lower front 1mm, no change to the rear

Dunlop Sportmax GP, lower front 6mm, lower rear 2mm

Michelin Power Race, raise front 1mm, raise rear 6mm

Pirelli Super Corsa Pro, no change to front, lower rear 1mm

High Performance Street/Track Day tires: (baseline tires Bridgestone Battlax BT014)

Avon Azaro AV49/50SP, no change to front, lower rear 2.5mm

Bridgestone Battlax BT014F/R, no change to front, no change to rear

Continental Conti Force Max, raise front 1mm, raise rear 2.5mm

Dunlop D208-GP, no change to front, lower rear 6mm

Maxxis Supermaxx, raise front 2mm, no change to rear

Metzeler Sportec M1, raise front 1.5mm, lower rear 6mm

Michelin Pilot Power, no change to front, raise rear 2mm

Pirelli Diablo Corsa, no change to front, lower rear 5mm

·
Registered
282 Posts
wow, who knew? I didn't realize you had to make changes like that for different tires. It makes sense, but I guess i just figured when you get an 1xx xx Rxx that it would be the same size another of the same size. So back to the Z6...any one know if there are changes for this tire?

·
Registered
359 Posts
It's not slip. New tires always turn in more easily, regardless of the tire model. The rear tire tends to wear in the middle, so it loses that nice round profile that eases turn-in. When the back is really worn, you'll have to apply steering pressure just to keep it in a turn. I hate that. I love new tires.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts